Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 09:14 PM

450 posts, read 1,203,575 times

Advertisements

Hello
I have recently been downsized from my job. Our jobs went over to India so they claim they are going to try to find us other positions within the company. I am probably the only one in my department that is willing to relocate but now I do not know which city would be better 4 single 33 y/o female. Help me decide... I've only visited Atlanta and Dallas and yes I know about the traffic in both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:20 PM

461 posts, read 509,449 times
What kind of things do you like to do for fun? Are you an outdoorsy type or more of a city- museum type? Which city would your money go the farthest ( you can check out average prices here on City data.)

Old 05-21-2016, 09:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
What kind of job is it?

Old 05-21-2016, 09:24 PM

I like outside to walk in the park. But would love to find people who exercise and want to get in better shape. I'm not into Arts, museums. As far as the job I'm staying within the company these are the locations they have available. All the cities pretty much the money is about the about the same.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Nashville is cheapest of the three so I pick Nashville, because you're female... and because you didn't give any other info. So what if you are female? Want to find a wife? You could even find a polygamist Mormons there. Or do you want high population so you can work your feminine wiles and work on seeking arrangements?

Really, your gender probably has the least justifications of moving somewhere. I could find areas in any city where it is unsafe to be in, female or male or dumb

edit: saw your post, not sure I agree with all three cities being the same CoL, Nashville has a good outdoor scene but so does Atlanta. No clue on Dallas though

Old 05-21-2016, 10:31 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Nashville is cheapest of the three so I pick Nashville, because you're female... and because you didn't give any other info. So what if you are female? Want to find a wife? You could even find a polygamist Mormons there. Or do you want high population so you can work your feminine wiles and work on seeking arrangements?

Really, your gender probably has the least justifications of moving somewhere. I could find areas in any city where it is unsafe to be in, female or male or dumb

edit: saw your post, not sure I agree with all three cities being the same CoL, Nashville has a good outdoor scene but so does Atlanta. No clue on Dallas though
Schedule a trip to Nashville before you make a decision. I personally think you will like it.

Dallas is not the most ideal place if you are a 30 something single. It has the worst weather of the three (horrible summers).
Very spread out. But lots of opportunities career wise if you have experience.

As far as apartment rentals are concerned...Dallas is the cheapest, followed by Atlanta then Nashville.

Outdoors activities: Atlanta and Dallas

As I mentioned earlier...check out Nashville before you make a decision.

Most of the people that I have met who weren't from there fell in love with the place when they visited.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:36 AM

thanks for info...I guess I am looking for a better career, social life and a place where I can find workout partner...ready to move on from Ohio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Schedule a trip to Nashville before you make a decision. I personally think you will like it.

Dallas is not the most ideal place if you are a 30 something single. It has the worst weather of the three (horrible summers).
Very spread out. But lots of opportunities career wise if you have experience.

As far as apartment rentals are concerned...Dallas is the cheapest, followed by Atlanta then Nashville.

Outdoors activities: Atlanta and Dallas

As I mentioned earlier...check out Nashville before you make a decision.

Most of the people that I have met who weren't from there fell in love with the place when they visited.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Atlanta may have a bad commute for you. Also most of the city proper except for the far northern sections are not good places to live. I've heard good things about Nashville.

It deends on you profession. I'd look for a city where there are other opportunities in case they totally downsize you next time.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:43 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Depends on how you want to live. Nashville has a smaller metro area than either Atlanta or Dallas so you're out of the city and into recreation much quicker. Tn has a lot of outdoor rec in terms of boating, fishing, hiking, camping. Yes, the others have these as well, but much harder to get out of town. All three have major league sports, museums, theatre, and culture, etc. Don't think that just because Nashville is home to country music that it's a bunch of hillbillies. They live out in the rural areas, not Nashville.

Also depends on which area of Nashville you work in. Where would the company you work for be located?

Old 05-22-2016, 01:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
Hello
I have recently been downsized from my job. Our jobs went over to India so they claim they are going to try to find us other positions within the company. I am probably the only one in my department that is willing to relocate but now I do not know which city would be better 4 single 33 y/o female. Help me decide... I've only visited Atlanta and Dallas and yes I know about the traffic in both cities.
Well since you're in Ohio, why not maybe take a road trip, at least to Nashville which isn't that far and see what you think.

Keep in mind though if your company sent jobs to India from Ohio, the same company can do the same from TN, GA, or TX.

So think about what other opporunties are available in those other cities as a back up plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment