Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 11:30 PM

11 posts, read 40,515 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

I am a recent graduate from a 4 years college and looking for a job now.

However, I have my disabilities and have a hard time of speaking (impediment of speech) and hard condition of hearings (wearing hearing aids both) as well as cerebral palsy. There is no mostly problems physically with me. I can move without any aid. Just problems with my communication verbally, orally and hearings.

I had plenty of interview opportunities for a few months, but I did not get a job offer. I think my concern is that my communication. It's really hard to speak pronunciation. People ask me write or type due to they don't understand my pronunciation (And another disadvantage is that I am not native although I have US citizen.).

I have realized that job searching of company is not right for me after having some interviews with them. I only have looked at CA state and Federal jobs. I had some of state job interviews but still don't get a offer. I know they would want a person who can communicate verbally and orally. Sadly, I can't do this. I always had and need reasonable accommodation and used my computer to communicate by typing, which helps me to talk with interviewers.

However, I am not really pretty sure I can get a job with this current situation. I can't find improvement in my life. If someone has good ideas about getting jobs for people with disabilities and/or my situations, I would truly appreciate your big help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 04:37 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
What is your field of study? I would think there would be certain fields that would lend themselves more easily to your disabilities -- where communication isn't at the forefront of the job requirements. I'm thinking of things like IT work, laboratory work or accounting/bookkeeping.

I know in my state (New Mexico), there is an organization called Horizons, Inc. that has first right of refusal for many contract-type jobs with state government. Perhaps in your state there is a similar organization that can help you get your foot in the door, and also help you develop your job searching skills.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 PM

546 posts, read 764,505 times
go to your State/City Agencies. Civil services jobs. they will take any person who is qualfied. EEO

Old 05-28-2016, 12:18 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto1239 View Post
However, I am not really pretty sure I can get a job with this current situation. I can't find improvement in my life. If someone has good ideas about getting jobs for people with disabilities and/or my situations, I would truly appreciate your big help.
As an employer, I have several people with disabilities that work for me. I have learned there are two types of people with disabilities. There are those WE have assimilated into our regular routine and those WE have not. Note I said "WE" because it's usually us that have difficulty with the employment process, not the person with the disability.

If a person applies who is in a wheelchair, that has now almost become a regular everyday event. Employers (to include those involved the hiring process) automatically can establish limitations and work around as they go through the interview process. But, if a person comes in with a disability that alters the flow or those in the hiring process don't understand the disability, they usually will mistakenly interpret your manner of handling your disability as not being able to handle the job.

Sp, what does this mean for you? I strongly recommend you connect with some disability employment support advocate office. This is important because they will work to prime the perspective employer with knowledge about what to expect and how it will flow instead of suddenly facing some person changing the process. Instead of the interviewer concentrating on how your doing things and what are they supposed to do, they will be aware that its going to be different so they can now concentrate on you and your abilities versus whats going on with your disability. Your chances of moving along in the process is greatly improved when they are not suddenly faced with an unfamiliar process causing them to be more uncomfortable with you than you with them. You need them to be focused on you, not your disability.

Look, lets place the cards on the table. Lets say a manager was hiring a person to deliver mail to the staff. There are 10 candidates to be interviewed. First is Average Joe, second is Average Jane, third is Average Bob, fourth is Average Betty, fifth is Average Pete, sixth is Average Paula, seventh is Down Syndrome Ted... whoa, we all know that suddenly that manager is thrown for a loop and the odds are they want that interview to go fast and to be over with. Under these circumstances, Ted's mannerism, voice and even looks could be the focus of the interview by the manager. Most likely little will be remembered about what Ted can do and lots remembered about Ted's disabilities. However, if the employer and an advocate just alerted the manager to the applicant and what to expect from Ted, the interview will most likely go another way with more emphasis on Ted's ability for the job and not so much on what was happening during the interview. This is an extreme example, but it's the unfortunate reality.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times

The only one that is helpful for me is the Selective Placement Program Coordinator but only one is in my field (which I'm sure requires experience) and not much in my city looks like.

I find GettingHired complicated. I don't know why but when I looked at it I want to close it because I got overwhelmed. It seems like all the other job sites.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:42 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
The best way to get a job is to focus on abilities. There are agencies that can help a person with a disability develop marketable skills.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:14 PM

23,543 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Excellent point. Focus and develop what you do have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The best way to get a job is to focus on abilities. There are agencies that can help a person with a disability develop marketable skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment