Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

99% of the population can move their hands and stay busy
not as many can use their brains to think for themselves

wonder which companies put a premium on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
If you're saying unskilled laborers who are trading their physical strength for a paycheck should be paid the same as someone like myself who has 35+ years of experience in a tech field as well as two masters' degrees, I say, BS. Ditto with someone who is a skilled plumber, HVAC worker, etc. If an unskilled laborer wants to make more money, he/she can get the training to do so. If he/she chooses to remain unskilled, that's their choice.

And if you're looking for a country where things are more "just", you might try your agenda in Cuba or Venezuela or North Korea where I'm sure it will get a better welcome.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:36 PM

514 posts, read 764,588 times
What about an equal comparison then. Teachers and Investment Bankers. Both generally require a bachelor's degree and a certain degree of specialized labor, yet one pays much better and requires less physical exertion. Teachers have to deal with corralling noisy kids and standing on their feet all day, whereas an investment banker likely sits at a desk. One might even argue the intrinsic value of the output of a Teacher is far greater than that of the investment banker.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
What about an equal comparison then. Teachers and Investment Bankers. Both generally require a bachelor's degree and a certain degree of specialized labor, yet one pays much better and requires less physical exertion. Teachers have to deal with corralling noisy kids and standing on their feet all day, whereas an investment banker likely sits at a desk. One might even argue the intrinsic value of the output of a Teacher is far greater than that of the investment banker.
It's not about value. It's funding sources. Schools are funded via property taxes. Low taxes equal lower paid teachers. The average teacher in NYC makes 65k a year.

Investment bankers generate millions of dollars of revenue and they get a piece of that.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:01 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Those are SKILLED trades.
And your point is?

The OP's original sentence and topic inferred a correction between hard physical labor and low wages.

And that's not true for all jobs.

Easy.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:10 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
So? If money's your prime motivator, go into a field that pays a lot. If working with kids is your prime motivator, become a teacher.

Of course, we can always hope and pray for a government directive that will level the playing field and make sure everyone makes about the same regardless of skills or market needs. I think before we all forgot what the term meant in the 20th century that was called a "Marxist Paradise".

Old 06-07-2016, 02:32 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Is it just me, or does it seem like the more actual exertion a job requires the less it actually pays? This is a realization that I have made after being exposed to a variety of different work environments and wage scales throughout my life. I currently work in an office and make a considerable salary, and most days I spend probably half my day actually having to exert my brain in a real sense. Yet everyday I drive to work and see construction workers, general laborers, fast-food workers, etc. committing hard labor for a wage that is likely a fraction of mine. It just seems so bizarre and unjust to me. Why do we have an economy that in many cases rewards less tangible output with better pay?
There's a reason everybody uses the phrase "Work smart, not hard"

Because somebody works harder, doesn't mean they got more work done than a smart person that found a way to get twice as much work with 1/2 of the work.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I have worked everything from entry level to highly skilled technical jobs. In my experience, the easier the job, the higher the pay. It's not your imagination. All those people who make more money than you also have easier jobs. And here's the biggest difference. The best jobs employ you because of your skills, education, and thought processes. Thinking is part of your job. The worst jobs employ you to do/produce.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:03 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Quote:
The majority of teachers work for the government in some form, so their paid wages are not reflective of those who work the private sector at a bank or financial institution. A local government determines wages, while in the private sector it's very different.

Investment bankers tend to work for quasi-"private" companies, so this comparison you are pointing does not really work as a "fair" comparison. About the only thing that teachers and investment bankers have in common is having college degree (and certifications) to get the position.

Wages for various jobs are all over the map, nothing really is "fair." Comparing within the same field of work is somewhat easier to do, but still.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:41 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
The majority of teachers work for the government in some form, so their paid wages are not reflective of those who work the private sector at a bank or financial institution. A local government determines wages, while in the private sector it's very different.

Investment bankers tend to work for quasi-"private" companies, so this comparison you are pointing does not really work as a "fair" comparison. About the only thing that teachers and investment bankers have in common is having college degree (and certifications) to get the position.

Wages for various jobs are all over the map, nothing really is "fair." Comparing within the same field of work is somewhat easier to do, but still.
^^ This. The political process often puts downward pressure on these wages, which are often very publicly discussed, since wages are dependent on taxes. Its a sometimes duplicitous situation when political decision makers talk so much about how teacher pay needs to be raised, but then complain that taxes are too high.

With an investment bankers, there's much less transparency and accountability (maybe not to all of the regulators involved in banking but for the general public) as the investment banker is whisked up to their Class A office suite with all of its perks and bonuses. Of course, the public does pay indirectly for much of this in the form of junk fees and near zero interest rates on CDs, bank accounts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment