Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:55 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but if you are so sick you can barely leave the bathroom you have no business being at work. I don't care if you have food poisoning and you're not contagious. That's just gross to come to work in that state and miserable for the sick person. Getting sick happens and everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt. If a company fires me for being deathly ill and needing a day off the first week, then good. I would rather know up front that's the kind of mentality I'm dealing with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 02:06 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm sorry but if you are so sick you can barely leave the bathroom you have no business being at work. I don't care if you have food poisoning and you're not contagious. That's just gross to come to work in that state and miserable for the sick person. Getting sick happens and everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt. If a company fires me for being deathly ill and needing a day off the first week, then good. I would rather know up front that's the kind of mentality I'm dealing with.
I still think it's better to show up and then leave if it's the first week

Calling out sick the week is definitely a sure way to be canned

Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 121,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I still think it's better to show up and then leave if it's the first week

Calling out sick the week is definitely a sure way to be canned

It wasn't the first week, it was the 4th (note my thread said first few weeks), but I understand where you're coming from on this. I really wouldn't have been able to make the drive without having to stop and get sick, and I'm really grateful that my manager was so understanding! I still got paid for the day--I earn 1.5 days per month beginning on day 1, so I had a day in my bank thankfully. I'm definitely very grateful to work for a company that values an employee's health--even if it is a new employee!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:07 PM

48 posts, read 90,979 times
I think people over think this. If it was the very first week it's a little tacky (the company has likely forced people throughout your department to schedule time out their day to link up with you and train you on your first week) but after that it shouldn't matter as long as you've been every bit as professional and enthusiastic whoever it was who hired you has talked you up to be.

Think if you were a supervisor, if it was just one day it wouldn't be the end of the world. You have other responsibilities other than obsessing over a new hire's schedule.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Is this what it has come to ?? We have to worry about losing our jobs if we get sick? You're SICK....it happens...
Sadly, Yes. Those "points" will add up! Could get fired.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Sadly, Yes. Those "points" will add up! Could get fired.
It has to be the emergency room type of sick not home type of sick.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:01 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
It has to be the emergency room type of sick not home type of sick.
And even then I've worked for companies that would hold that against you. There's always someone healthier than you that will work your job for less pay, right?

Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No but if you're sick you're sick.

It is what it is.

As long as you've shown you're a high producer, team player, enthusiastic, you should get a pass.
When I owned my own company and where I work now if you are sick we ask that you please stay home because I do not want whatever it is you have.

We pay generous sick pay so you're not going to end up short if you take three days off to get over a cold. I will pay it and thank you for not giving me your crud by staying home. I would also say you would really, really upset me if you came into my office hacking and sneezing just to prove how dedicated to your job... blah blah.

If you are sick stay the hell home!!!

Old 03-25-2017, 09:04 AM

11 posts, read 121,377 times
Hi everyone, I'm back with an update! It's been almost a year now since I posted this, and wanted to share that all is going well. I was one of my company's top performers for the third and fourth quarters of last year, and got a nice raise at the start of the new year...so luckily, my sick day one month in hasn't negatively impacted me! Glad to hear others' stories as well! Cheers!

Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Oh, another case was where someone got sick from the start for an office. She was able to go into negative PTO with permission, and eventually worked her way back to a 0 balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment