Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 05:30 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,519 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I've recently started working as a clerk in a retail job. My employer is using my personal e-mail as a method of training me. And my hackles are ruffled. Following each shift I've worked, on the following day, or perhaps even that evening, I'll find an e-mail from my employer stating what I've done on the previous shift that isn't in accordance with their wishes.

Is it common for employers to use e-mail as a means of training? Should I respond to their e-mail in any way, even if it is merely to acknowledge receipt? I don't always have great internet connectivity; what if I don't receive their message before my next shift?

As you can tell, I am not thrilled with the e-mail communication from my employer. I feel I should be trained on the job. If I make a mistake, show me on my next shift. For true clarity, if nothing else.

Your thoughts, opines? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:05 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,790 times
i've never had a job where an employer communicated via personal email - but i've never worked in retail.. I wouldn't like the emails personally either. If you're comfortable with doing so, why not just speak to the sender of the emails and explain that you would rather have the conversations one on one?

Old 06-23-2016, 07:58 AM

436 posts, read 521,604 times
How did the boss get your personal email? No this is not professional, I'd ask for it to stop.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 AM

Jibe, thanks for the reply. Yes, just speaking to Mr. or Mrs. employer would be the most reasonable thing to do. I am working part-time for a family business. We live in the same small community. They are very particular about everything, which is fine, and as it should be, it's their livelihood. I anticipate a less than agreeable response to my expressing anything to do with their use of e-mail communication for work related. I suppose I won't know until I try, though.

Jjmars, thanks for your reply. I freely gave them my e-mail. Certain pre-hire correspondence took place; having said this, I see I am guilty perhaps of "setting myself up" for this continuing e-mail relationship.

I will hope to find the cojones to speak my mind. As well, I will choose not to respond in kind to any e-mail correspondence from them.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 AM

560 posts, read 752,289 times
play it off. tell them that you noticed a few emails yesterday. tell them you don't check your email on a daily basis so if there are important things they want to share, doing it while you are there would be the most expedient.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Just check them at work? You aren't paid for checking emails off the clock. Let them know if it is something you need to fix right away at start of next shift, or something to know, to meet with you before you leave. you may offer to stay 5-10 minutes after closing if they don't have time prior

besides, its better to demo problem/solution than to email it and hope it gets interpreted correctly

Old 06-23-2016, 10:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We often use email in training and in documentation of issues with an employee, but it's always the company email, not personal. I suppose in many retail situations there is no company email except for the management to correspond with the home office, not for the clerks to use, since they are not likely to have a company computer to use. The fact that the boss is using email rather than personal conversations would cause me concern that documentation is important, to prepare for possible future disciplinary action or firing. You could express your objection to the personal emails and request that they be stopped, but that could make your situation worse.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:30 PM

Hemlock, and others, I appreciate the input; thank you.

The employers are very discerning in their wants, and I appreciate this. I am a seasoned worker, and strive to please. Since my hire, I feel as if they have niggled me over minutiae, to the point where I am a flight risk. The e-mail correspondence is one aspect of their personality. As one of two employees, the other, a well trained employee, I would like to think the niggly details they are e-mailing me about could be handled in person. It feels passively aggressive, or at least, controlling. It is bothersome to me, but it's apparent that more bothersome details exist.

Thanks again for the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment