Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 07:25 PM

10 posts, read 13,887 times

Advertisements

I am considering a career change from teaching to hospitality management before I get too vested in my retirement. Currently I teach elementary school. My salary is around 42K but hubby is a phD engineer so I could afford to take a pay cut. I have two jobs in the summer which are both managerial positions in seasonal concert venues on the food and beverage side (one position is area manager and the second is bar manager). I also occasionally do promos for area sports teams. I am not interested in going back to school because I think I have enough experience (13 years) to not need to go back to school and go into more debt.
I would love any advice I could get. I am wondering if I could make at least a similar salary doing this instead of teaching. Teaching really did a number on my health this year, and I really could use an out. I genuinely love being a part of events, especially on the food and bev side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 01:36 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyCello View Post
I am considering a career change from teaching to hospitality management before I get too vested in my retirement. Currently I teach elementary school. My salary is around 42K but hubby is a phD engineer so I could afford to take a pay cut. I have two jobs in the summer which are both managerial positions in seasonal concert venues on the food and beverage side (one position is area manager and the second is bar manager). I also occasionally do promos for area sports teams. I am not interested in going back to school because I think I have enough experience (13 years) to not need to go back to school and go into more debt.
I would love any advice I could get. I am wondering if I could make at least a similar salary doing this instead of teaching. Teaching really did a number on my health this year, and I really could use an out. I genuinely love being a part of events, especially on the food and bev side.
Update your resume and start applying for hospitality gigs.

You won't know if you have a chance until you start applying.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:33 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Entry level hospital management does not pay well.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
I guess the skills should be quite transferable, since you're going to be working with people who ACT like children.. But you may have to put out A LOT of fires....I'd stick with teaching, bet it's a thrill to see a child "Connect the dots" when they learn something....

Old 06-19-2016, 04:45 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
You'll need to take some hospitality management classes, but better yet, get a job in a hospitality field (low paying), to see what it's like. Then take the classes, because you can't just jump into hospitality management without hospitality experience. There are lots of companies that promote from within, so you're not going to get anywhere with just a teaching degree. Companies want people that know how the how the field works, and that includes the front desk. There are people working in the hospitality field who are taking a hospitality management program so that they can move up in their jobs. These people will be considered over you, because they already have experience.

Look on the hotel websites. With your teaching degree and experience, you should be able to get hired as an administrative assistant, which would pay more than a front desk clerk. So get familiar with all aspects of hospitality, and you'll have a chance.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:02 PM

366 posts, read 730,574 times
Quote:

It seems to me that you have the best of both worlds already. If you were to become a F & B manager fulltime, plan on little sleep and a lot of headaches. In another life I was a front office manager for a well known motel chain. We had 100 rooms with a dining room and a lounge (night club). The F & B manager rarely got a day off, covered for sick (or faked sick) chefs and bartenders and spent the night many times at the motel over the course of the two years that I worked there. Many times I'd see him closing the bar at 2 am and up at 5 am to start breakfast. All while collecting a salary that was far lower than the labor he expended.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:27 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
It seems to me that you have the best of both worlds already. If you were to become a F & B manager fulltime, plan on little sleep and a lot of headaches. In another life I was a front office manager for a well known motel chain. We had 100 rooms with a dining room and a lounge (night club). The F & B manager rarely got a day off, covered for sick (or faked sick) chefs and bartenders and spent the night many times at the motel over the course of the two years that I worked there. Many times I'd see him closing the bar at 2 am and up at 5 am to start breakfast. All while collecting a salary that was far lower than the labor he expended.
This is true. I work event security, which is actually part of hospitality, and it gets really interesting sometimes. If there's a convention that's having a banquet for their attendees, plus providing breakfast and snacks, the F&B manager is running around like to chicken with it's head cut off to make sure that the appropriate amount of food and beverages are put out, and making sure that everything is right.

Then you have the complainers.........

Old 06-20-2016, 08:13 PM

10 posts, read 13,887 times
I am wondering if the salary is similar to teaching??? I am in Ohio where the salary to cost of living is reasonable.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:04 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,271,144 times
The salary is less than teaching, with the addition of working long hours, crappy hours, midnights, holidays and weekends.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The salary is less than teaching, with the addition of working long hours, crappy hours, midnights, holidays and weekends.
This... and that is why the three people I knew who were in the hospitality industry (two with degrees in it to boot!) are now all doing something else.

Ironically for the OP, two are teachers now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment