Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:04 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Hi,

As I am finishing up my Masters Degree, I am starting to look for jobs. I would love to work from home even though it would mean I have to take a cut in pay (most of these jobs have nothing to do with my degree).

I see a lot of home based and remote job offers on indeed.com but always wonder "how can you be sure they are legit?"

I am worried that if I get hired, quit my current job and then it turns out, the new job doesn't exist or something just turns out weird. And who trains you???

Can anybody who works from home please tell me how the process works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 12:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You apply for and interview fora job and it's usually discussed during the offer phase if working from home is an option. If it advertises as work from home it's most likely a scam or an extremely low paying job.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
masters in what? kind of odd that you went so far in your education without knowing what job opportunities you have

Old 06-27-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
masters in what? kind of odd that you went so far in your education without knowing what job opportunities you have
That was not really what I asked for.

There are lots of home based administrative jobs who don't pay great but pay okay.

But how do you find out if they are legit? They will ask for your personal information during the process and your SSN ... and if this all goes through phone or skype or ....(?), how can you be sure this is not a scam? I guess google is your friend ...?

Does anybody here got hired and worked at home from day one? How was the hiring process and the training?

Last edited by oh-eve; 06-27-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 12:54 PM

54 posts, read 62,322 times
Did anybody here get hired and worked at home from day one? How was the hiring process and the training?

I will answer this...I am helping a Professor at a major well-known University write a Medical Textbook. He hired me because I worked at the University Hospital's Pharmacy. He liked my personality and our personalities meshed so that we work quite well together.

He hired me and the University considered it a lateral transfer for hiring purposes. The professor let/s me know what he wanted in terms of the work and so I provide that. We communicate by email and text mostly. Once in a while we have a SKYPE session but my work is perfect enough for him that he prefers texts and emails for communication. (We are both majorly introverted so the process works fine!) I just let him know about a month before when I want to take a holiday period so he isn't left wondering what am I up to. Plus he let me know just download files to him, email the work in what he wants and needs for a period. I am the person who corrects errors, grammar mistakes and other areas he considers "drama." I proofread quite a lot and formulate ideas and theory for him when it is a rough period on his end. It is a different job for me day by day but it has an element of similarity and being familiar day by day.

I would say it would be helpful to know what type of work you are looking for since in my view, you seem to prefer a solitary position. I do better work without interruptions but I was fine in the service sector. (Customer Service, Restaurant, Retail, Medical) I was just lucky enough I had an outgoing enough personality that he approached me to work with him on his project.

Last edited by fancykatya; 06-27-2016 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: adding information to post

Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM

Thank you for your input.

I am hoping for an administrative job/assistant/calendaring/organizing/skype. There are some Executive Assistant jobs, surprisingly which I have experience in.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:45 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
How to Find a Legit Work-From-Home Job - Next Avenue

How to Find Legitimate No-Cost Home-Based Jobs | Chron.com

Old 06-27-2016, 03:01 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Many WFH home jobs are call center type work. If you have a rare skill that is in demand, you may be able to negotiate exclusive WFH as part of the offer.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That was not really what I asked for.

There are lots of home based administrative jobs who don't pay great but pay okay.
it matters because nearly all jobs have a work from home type service that isn't minimum wage/low skill...

for mine, I know people who went to become tech support for instrumentation company. they work out of their home, company set them up with a "unit" so they can work through problem with the customer. Customers call in, the guy answers phone, then talks them through how to resolve problem or documents and sends service to repair problem. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/123370357 & https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/137656994 for examples

my favorite guy was in hawaii with the setup in his garage, we would talk about the weather while things were starting up/he was remoting in and doing diagnostics. And because they need people 24/7, him being in different time zone helped.

can they work from home from day one? no, they need to be trained more, and they need prior experience...

Or be a truck dispatcher working from home
Quote:
I am hoping for an administrative job/assistant/calendaring/organizing/skype. There are some Executive Assistant jobs, surprisingly which I have experience in.
so... why did you need a masters degree if this was what you wanted to do?

Old 06-27-2016, 03:38 PM

Thank you.

Somewhere else in this forum somebody suggested flexjobs.com but the reviews said that this isn't worth paying the subscription.

I'll look into your links. Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment