Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
UI maximums are different from state to state.

I collected max UI for a very long time in Georgia... $330 per week.

I collected max UI for a very short time in Washington state... $664 per week.

States like Florida are even lower... something like $275 per week maximum. I think Arizona is the lowest in the USA... $240 per week.
My mom was on UI (Georgia) for a few months several years back. It was decent step down and she had to have had a job previously to get on it AND there was some sort of max limit which I forget AND had to show some sort of effort in applying for jobs. When I had just graduated college I couldn't collect UI since I had never had the required min job history. Maybe some places you can just collect UI and do nothing but Georgia certainly is not that type of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 02:25 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I don't eat at fast food restaurants very often, but recently stopped in one when on a road trip. There were three white seniors and two white, middle age women working. The place was busy and the checkout was brisk. I did think about the employees and wonder how these older people work that hard all day on their feet for such low pay.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-01-2016 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 03:20 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
I used this thinking on my Grandson with only 5 credits needed for his AA degree (still lacking today)

10 people are applying for a part time position (insert here.............)

You are one of the 10 sitting in a waiting room.

#1 Phd or MA degree........more then likely overqualified.

#2 BA degree........more then likely overqualified but if hired would leave as soon as a position opened in their field.

#2 AA degree.........to be considered as they have a small degree, still in school for a BA and need a part time position.

#5 High School degree/GED degree or never did graduate from High School.

So, where were you in this group?........says a lot on the chance of being hired.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:23 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Used to be, before 2000, a young man could get a manual labor job in construction earning the equivalent of $15/hr right out of high school but today those jobs are reserved for illegal aliens and I am not kidding either.

This is why we need to vote for Hillary so we don't have to do these icky hard work jobs.

And you think I'm kidding?
I'm not sure what planet tou live on. I am an engineer/construction manager. 70% of my laborers are white.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 PM

427 posts, read 500,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm not sure what planet tou live on. I am an engineer/construction manager. 70% of my laborers are white.
In Los Angeles, good luck finding a job in a warehouse or cutting lawns if you don't speak Spanish. You almost never seem to see "gringos" of any sort working in kitchens or in fast food ppaces either.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:42 PM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
I would say it's less than that.

The average 1BR in Seattle is... $1600ish?

I rent a 3BR in the suburbs for $1800... and have 2 roommates because it's cheaper than a 1BR ($1300ish) for all parties.

As I said upthread I just took a $13 hr job with Amazon... but I'm doing it for EXTRA cash as well as exercise lol... my day job pays almost twice that amount.

$13 an hour won't get you much in this area.
Well that's why fast food and low skill labor jobs pay that much there because the rent is triple the amount of a city or town with a low/normal cost of living.

The average rent in my area is $675 a month for a 1 bedroom, $750 for a 2 bedroom, and $850 for a 3 bedroom.
The median home price is $160-170k while in Seattle it's $400-500k. If your not making at least $70k in Seattle you can't afford to rent a decent apartment let alone buy a house.

I see for hire signs at fast food joints all the time paying $10 per hour in the college town I live in West Virginia but who can afford to pay rent on that kind of job. There are only four major employers here that pay good salaries and these companies are the pharmacetuicals company I work for, the university, the energy plant or the government jobs. If you don't work for one of those four companies you are out of luck in terms of a living wage.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I used to do this 10 years after you but all online.

I applied to tons of places as a teen. Absolutely nothing came of it. Ended up working at my mom's office. At the time, teen unemployment in Georgia was something like 30%, highest in the country. I live in metro Atlanta so it's not like there weren't an abundance of typical teen jobs, there just were that many other kids needing jobs.
I am from Atlanta so I had the same problem. I start applying to jobs as early as 15 and got no call backs for an interview. It wasn't till I was 17 back in 2011 when I finally got a call back from target and got hired at $8.50 per hour as my first job.

The Georgia economy was crap in 2008-2010.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
UI maximums are different from state to state.

I collected max UI for a very long time in Georgia... $330 per week.

I collected max UI for a very short time in Washington state... $664 per week.

States like Florida are even lower... something like $275 per week maximum. I think Arizona is the lowest in the USA... $240 per week.
Georgia unemployment is extremely low.

Here in the poor state of West Virginia unemployment is $440 a week maximum $1760 a month. Southern states like Georgia and Florida love to exploit workers by paying low wages and low unemployment. If you aren't in finance, engineering, IT, a doctor, lawyer, dentist, or pharmacist you most likely grossly underpaid living in Georgia.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:21 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I am from Atlanta so I had the same problem. I start applying to jobs as early as 15 and got no call backs for an interview. It wasn't till I was 17 back in 2011 when I finally got a call back from target and got hired at $8.50 per hour as my first job.

The Georgia economy was crap in 2008-2010.
Yep that was me. Graduated high school in 2010. Those were prime teen job years, had a license but not off to college yet but it was very hard to find a job. I don't know if it's easier for teens today but I see a lot of new development going up that will need workers.

Still, I don't think I was as worse off as my sister. She graduated college in 08 right as things tanked. Degree in elem. education but there were hiring freezes all around. She couldn't even get placed as a substitute teacher back then (now they're dying for em).

Old 07-01-2016, 10:57 PM

424 posts, read 381,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Used to be, before 2000, a young man could get a manual labor job in construction earning the equivalent of $15/hr right out of high school but today those jobs are reserved for illegal aliens and I am not kidding either.

This is why we need to vote for Hillary so we don't have to do these icky hard work jobs.

And you think I'm kidding?
lol dude you're delusional.... I've worked landscaping for years, the pay is $2 - $4 above minimum, "illegals" as you call them are the only one's who are willing to work the job and actually do it right. You won't believe all the stories I have of people being hired and lasting less than a month. The work is too physically demanding for this generation, most people can't seem to deal with it. It's a major struggle for the business I work for because they actually verify anyone they hire is legally able to work in the US, which really drops the potential candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment