Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:03 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've ran into folks who actually left government service, and went back to being a contractor. Some of the reasons I've heard include:
1) one guy's supervisor told him that his next raise will be in 7 years, minimum, if at all. He jumped ship for an immediate raise

2) another did it for double the salary bump.

For another guy who tried to go federal... by the time the gov't offered him a position (about 2 years later), he got enough promotions and pay raises that they could no longer afford him.
Also, a 3rd case where someone who went Federal) went back to being a contractor because the accrual job duties ended up being vastly different then what was described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 02:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Different twist on "stability" or lack of?
Why Millennials want government jobs (and then quit them) | TheHill

Noticed offers for higher paying jobs in private, different roles but there are just more roles in private... pro being more money, con is also more money. The increased money isn't for "free", it is at a cost of longer hours, or travel or anything else.

But do people see this trend where they are too? CD talks about lack of stability often, but then people get it and leave.
Working in a toxic place is like being in jail. If you don't get out the stress will kill you before you even qualify for a pension. The whole pension system is given to jobs that nobody wanted and see how long you can last before you drop and the last one standing gets to reap the benefits unless you're one of those political hacks that gets a free pension ride.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:58 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
And just think about all the people who make far less than 100k a year reaching retirement age, it's scary. So many people going to end up on the government dole.
The personal finance crowd are often basically telling people to cut when there is nothing to cut. The median HHI here in my hometown is in the mid $30k range. What the hell are these folks going to cut? They can't really cut anything - no matter what the budget is, most people are facing an income shortfall.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:11 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
you use your phone/elec/internet anyway. plus you save money on gas/wear and tear on a vehicle. why would you expect mileage to drive to work 1x/wk.? you wouldn't get it if you went to the office daily. everyone who commutes to work regardless of employer "risks" their vehicle.

many people consider telecommuting a plus, not a lack of rosiness.

I'm not the person who posted, but just to point out a couple of things. First, "driving for work" does not mean "driving to work." A lot of jobs require people to travel for work. I've often had to use my vehicle to drive to multiple locations FOR work. It does put on miles and risk.

As for cost of internet, depending on where people live, high speed is not available or is more expensive.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:54 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm not the person who posted, but just to point out a couple of things. First, "driving for work" does not mean "driving to work." A lot of jobs require people to travel for work. I've often had to use my vehicle to drive to multiple locations FOR work. It does put on miles and risk.

As for cost of internet, depending on where people live, high speed is not available or is more expensive.
That sucks because wifi does nothing for me when using the internet.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
One of the greatest benefits of working for the federal government is not being subject to the vagaries of the private sector. No layoffs, no downsizing, no outsourcing.
And those "assurances", along with the full-hilt benefits, used to come with lower pay.....used to.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:35 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
That sucks because wifi does nothing for me when using the internet.
I'm not sure I understand your post, but you do realize that there are a lot of places in the country that do not have wifi? Or that still rely on land line dial up? There are places without cell tower coverage? Now I happen to have fiber at my house, but just a few miles down the road even cell doesn't work?

Sorry if I've misinterpreted your post, but it sounded like you were assuming that everyone has access to the amenities you have where you live.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm not sure I understand your post, but you do realize that there are a lot of places in the country that do not have wifi? Or that still rely on land line dial up? There are places without cell tower coverage? Now I happen to have fiber at my house, but just a few miles down the road even cell doesn't work?

Sorry if I've misinterpreted your post, but it sounded like you were assuming that everyone has access to the amenities you have where you live.
I am glad my area has high speed because the internet connection is more stable.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:59 PM

505 posts, read 765,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
Have you actually ever worked for the federal government? If so, what was your experience? If not (I'm guessing not from the way you go on and on about how awesome it is), I hope you one day get the mediocre job + retirement plan of your dreams.
Yes, I have, which is why I agreed with you about the working conditions, bad bosses, careerism etc.

I don't think working for the federal government is awesome at all. There are a lot of things that suck. But pay, hours, and benefits (including retirement) are not one of them for most people.

However, I do think most federal employees think the "grass is much greener" in the private sector than it really is. In the private sector you have no pension, no job security, are routinely expected to work well beyond "working hours" and have much less protection from dysfunctional managers. Oh, and depending on what you do your salary may not even make more than what a fed makes. These things have real value, especially for folks who are a bit older than you and have a family, mortgage etc.

It is frustrating that so many federal employees refuse to acknowledge this on one hand and talk about how much more they think the could make in the private sector, while on the other hand they hang on to their fed jobs because they know they have a sweet deal.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:37 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Sure was, because FERS-FRAE is still far preferable to being subject to the vagaries of the private sector - the outsourcing, the downsizing, and the offshoring.

What drives me nuts is the insufferable attitudes of many "old feds" (pardon the pun) who, along with their private sector counterparts, adopted the F-You attitude and took what they could from the system while leaving scraps in their wake for the generation behind them.
And you will do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment