Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I think he can't accept the pay cut that comes with it.
I mean weekends off, benefits, retirement, union protection from all the bull**** private sector deals with, I could go on but Civil Engineers and Computer techs always are happy here.

Well, I've never had union protection but the rest of those things, yes. And yes, the money is a cut from a consulting/private standpoint. But then I don't have to work 60 hour weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:57 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I think perhaps you have some other reason for not applying to government positions. I'll admit their processes can be daunting and time consuming. But the jobs are out there.

They may post jobs, but they will hire somebody from within.

Quote:
I think he can't accept the pay cut that comes with it.
I mean weekends off, benefits, retirement, union protection from all the bull**** private sector deals with, I could go on but Civil Engineers and Computer techs always are happy here.
Actually, the government pays more than my private sector job does. So I would be getting a pay increase if I was able to get a government job. So you are wrong.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

Actually, the government pays more than my private sector job does. So I would be getting a pay increase if I was able to get a government job. So you are wrong.
So why the problem with entry level government jobs then :P? if its high paying?

Last edited by CosmoStars; 08-05-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:

You can't possibly know that.

And I know for a fact you are wrong. I'm living proof of it.

Look, I'm not trying to badger you. But I am trying to tell you (and potential readers) that there are government jobs out there for experienced engineers. Your experiences are yours alone and are not the status quo for all public sector engineering jobs.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Well, I've never had union protection but the rest of those things, yes. And yes, the money is a cut from a consulting/private standpoint. But then I don't have to work 60 hour weeks!
I make about the same amount of money as a Civil Engineer thanks to our unions.
They fight to keep us happy and getting us raises.
For someone highly skilled and wanting to get rich thou its not a good place

Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:

The union here got us work boots! LOL And I'm very appreciative of that.

No, you won't get rich but I really do like the kinds of projects I get to design and see completed. I like having the sense of accomplishment in having a positive impact on my community.

Money isn't everything.

mitsguy, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live?

Old 08-05-2016, 11:10 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
So why the problem with entry level government jobs then :P?

They would say I am "overqualified".

Quote:
The union here got us work boots! LOL And I'm very appreciative of that.

No, you won't get rich but I really do like the kinds of projects I get to design and see completed. I like having the sense of accomplishment in having a positive impact on my community.

Money isn't everything.

mitsguy, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live?

Long Island, NY.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Yeah I've noticed something similar.

My impression is that unionized workforces benefit jobs like police and fire tremendously, but that it leaves very little money left over for professional staff like engineers, developers, IT, etc.

I've looked at some salaries in my field with NYC and Philadelphia, and they are comically low. So low I wouldn't even consider applying. In a number of job applications I was looking at in my field, it seemed you can earn more working for a city or county in rural South Carolina than you could with the City of NYC. And that's not even considering the huge gulf in cost of living.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yeah I've noticed something similar.

My impression is that unionized workforces benefit jobs like police and fire tremendously, but that it leaves very little money for professional staff like engineers, developers, IT, etc.

I've looked at some salaries in my field with NYC and Philadelphia, and they are comically low.
I'm in it for the quality of life not money thou.

The quality of life is definitely amazing, where I work at.

But I know many IT folks and Engineer who knew that their pay cap is very limited and you can't exceed a certain amount after a period of time.

On the bright side, we are helping kids and parents always with forwarding their technology needs to get a quality education

Old 08-05-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Long Island, NY.
Obviously, you would know that area and it's challenges. I suspect it may be more competitive there than in other areas.

You might consider checking out the local chapter of APWA. Maybe see about some of their events and stuff. That might get you some networking opportunities for an "in" for government work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment