Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should high school kids be working while in high school?
Yes 109 76.76%
No 33 23.24%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:54 PM

285 posts, read 262,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You're welcome to think what you'd like. (I noticed you quickly avoided the inflation discussion.) I have kids in school now and two nieces in high school that I tutor so I'm not as far removed as you'd like to think I am.

I graduated in 2000 btw.... so not as much of a dinosaur as you want to imply.
Ignored that due to the fact that I wasn't about to get into that discussion.

And congrats on your two nieces and kids, are your situations vastly similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:55 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,682,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Time Management is definitely important some are good at it while others just never learn
But I heard somewhere that I think if your grades start dropping, they don't let you work anymore or something like that?
Last I heard you needed a work permit to work if you were under 18.
So say if you wanted to work at like Hot Topic or Mcdonalds you needed to provided a work permit to your employer and have them sign it as well as your parents?

and also since the recessions do kids have a harder time being hired for like the summer or school year, Im curious to know since my younger brother may want a job during the summer for next year?
Im not sure if its the same now or as it was back in the 90's.

Absolutely. The best way to learn time management is being put into positions where you are required to do it. Some companies may let you go if grades slip too far, but not sure that all companies do this.

In my state, you only need a work permit if you are 14-15. At 16 you are legally allowed to work as long as you don't work more than a set number of hours per week and don't work past 9pm on weeknights.

Our friend's daughter had no trouble getting hired on to the local supermarket as a part time cashier.... but it could be area dependent.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:55 PM

285 posts, read 262,884 times
Quote:
You're welcome to think what you'd like. (I noticed you quickly avoided the inflation discussion.) I have kids in school now and two nieces in high school that I tutor so I'm not as far removed as you'd like to think I am.

I graduated in 2000 btw.... so not as much of a dinosaur as you want to imply.
And quite honestly, I really couldn't get why you pulled that in tbh, so I ignored it.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:56 PM

25,615 posts, read 17,355,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I'm not sure weather this belongs on the parenting forum or work and employment but I'll post it here since its mostly employment.
Do you guy think high school kids should be employed while they are in school or is it a bad idea until they are out of high school and start college?
I know it teaches them to be a good employment but its bad enough for HS students to go to school 5 days a week already from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
What do you guys think would you let your kids start working at that age and how would the employment world be for them at that age? It mostly seems they could either work in retail or fast food at first.
No. They learn nothing. They waste their money on pop culture items and fashion and cars.
There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

Parents send their kids off to work with the best of intentions and greatest of expectations, but I think it is simply an abdication of the parent's responsibility.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Ignored that due to the fact that I wasn't about to get into that discussion.

And congrats on your two nieces and kids, are your situations vastly similar?

Well I'm here if you ever want to revisit it.

Thanks and yes, it's similar enough that I can still do the work despite being out of school for over a decade now. They seem to have plenty of free time. One niece is rarely home on the weekends (out with her friends) and the other works part time at the mall. Sisters, yet completely different mindsets. One chose academics and work, the other chose academics and sports. Needless to say the one who doesn't work is always calling us to "borrow" money because her parents won't give it to her and neither will her sister.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No. They learn nothing. They waste their money on pop culture items and fashion and cars.
There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

Parents send their kids off to work with the best of intentions and greatest of expectations, but I think it is simply an abdication of the parent's responsibility.

Do you have statistical data backing up the claim that parents aren't being responsible by allowing kids to work and that none of the kids show any monetary responsibility? That's a large reach. I'm sure you have some evidence to provide.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:02 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,170,972 times
Quote:
Do you have statistical data backing up the claim that parents aren't being responsible by allowing kids to work and that none of the kids show any monetary responsibility? That's a large reach. I'm sure you have some evidence to provide.
how would one measure "responsible parenting"?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
If I were an employer, I wouldn't hire someone who just graduated from college, but had never worked a paid job. I wouldn't care how high their GPA was or how great they supposedly were (or thought they were). I just wouldn't hire them. I'd prefer to hire someone from a less advantaged background who had to learn early about work ethic.
A person with a college degree and a person with no college degree would not even be applying to the same jobs, except in the case where the degree person needs something until a real job comes up.

Also, someone from college or not, work experience or not, has absolutely zero to do if they come from a disadvantaged background or not.

Additionally, college has all the same elements as going to work; must show up, commit to completion of tasks, etc, and even more so as it engages people in skills someone flipping burgers will never engage in.

You sound like one of those "I hate college grads" types, it is a social class issue for you, not actual abilities.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Well considering you went to high school in the late 90s, obviously this model works for you. It's simply not the same and our money doesn't do the same as your money did.
Quote:
And quite honestly, I really couldn't get why you pulled that in tbh, so I ignored it.

I was merely proving that inflation wasn't a valid argument.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,882,496 times
Quote:
Honest to god for those who graduated in the late 90s (before the year 2000 to be honest), do you have any idea what the coursework now looks like? Or are you gauging everything about education on what you went through, not exactly realizing things aren't even remotely the same, and telling kids to just pick it up? It's not easy and only getting harder and that's a fact, the very argument saying "when I was in school" knowing damn well you graduated a LONG time ago, is ridiculous. Even buying houses has significantly changed, in terms of costs, and that's something we agree on but why not how education has clearly changed?

Kids today aren't complaining over nothing if you know what we have to bring home daily. Until you do, I don't think you can appropriately and accurately determine our issues based on yours 10+ years ago.

A small example would be my grandmother and all my grand aunts and uncles who thought I was simply not trying to be social with the family, refusing coming over so I could do homework, and complaining. Until I showed them my homework, they instantly backed off. Thought I was AP and no, just below average and losing motivation.

Motivation because I was having a significant amount of problems during my jr high and high school years.
I always enjoy the "You're old, you don't know what it's LIKE!" argument. Got kids in school now, teach at a college... Pretty clued in, thanks.

One thing we can agree on, YOU can't do it. In my experience, if someone is sure they can't do something, they are correct. Same with those that are sure they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment