Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

As per usual, right combination of educational/job background, determination, and luck.

How to land one of these high-paying jobs - Business Insider

Quote:
Surgeons and lawyers aren't the only professionals raking in six figure-paychecks. There are plenty of other high-paying jobs out there — and many don't require an advanced degree.

To give you a better idea of the variety of high-paying careers available to you, Glassdoor put together a list of 11 jobs that pay over $100,000 a year, along with advice on how to get hired for each one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As per usual, right combination of educational/job background, determination, and luck.

Glad my daughter changed her major from art history and is now in PA school!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:35 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Most of those require a decade of experience as well... either working way up or training

Why aren't strippers on there?
This College Student Says She Makes $180,000 Stripping On The Side

Old 07-13-2016, 03:09 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,788 times
Strippers can make anywhere from minimum wage to exorbitant amounts. What an exotic dancer in a top NYC club makes has nothing to do with what others make in 90% of the country. Put that same dancer in Toledo and see what she makes.

A PA's salary can vary, but it's usually still within a small range.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:47 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Most of those require a decade of experience as well... either working way up or training

Why aren't strippers on there?
This College Student Says She Makes $180,000 Stripping On The Side
Not to mention that their earning potential drops rapidly in their 30's. Unfortunately most people in the adult entertainment industry blow their money on drugs or shopping. Also not very easy to change careers later in life since your past will come up on a background check and many strippers end up with rap sheets related to their drug use and sometimes side jobs in prostitution.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:01 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Not to mention that their earning potential drops rapidly in their 30's. Unfortunately most people in the adult entertainment industry blow their money on drugs or shopping. Also not very easy to change careers later in life since your past will come up on a background check and many strippers end up with rap sheets related to their drug use and sometimes side jobs in prostitution.
I make over 100k a year (barely) working overtime and off shifts. I live in the Bay Area and pay over 2k a month for a 1 bedroom. Companies pay out the ass to keep people out here, but successful people are still fleeing. If social security doesnt die I may see a little bump there.

The realization I could make over 100k a year having sex with women does make me smile. I made some poor life decisions I guess...

Old 07-23-2016, 06:31 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Glad my daughter changed her major from art history and is now in PA school!
I've never fully understood why parents want their kids to have high paying jobs as opposed to jobs they would enjoy more.

My parents were like that too. When I suggested I was thinking about law school, they were so happy even though they had no idea how much I would like law.

I know lots of friends who have majored in lots of different things, and pursued all types of different fields and all of them are doing pretty decently.

Having hated my job for stretches for so long, I would definitely encourage my kids to chase doing what they love and only after they failed, then go do something like 'jobs that pay $100,000'.

Unless they are clearly into it for the money, then there are much higher paying jobs than those listed.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:24 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

"Software architect" is an interesting and tough job. I work closely with them day to day, in fact a very intense major project I managed just landed a week ago and my architect were on that day and night for months in meetings, bug bashes, Dev calls with offshore, and dealing with the client. They make the big technical calls, I make the big management calls about the who, where, and when plus deal with mostly-irritated clients and the portfolio. Definitely symbiotic, my favorite people to work with "if" the partnership works. God help an architect who is beloved by few; we had to fire a guy like that a few months ago for that and other reasons. He was exceptionally irascible.

The career requires expertise in certain systems, which means high degree of devotion to keeping current in software trends. We're up evenings working with offshore, that's absolutely to be expected these days. It's pretty far from 9-5 work. Good news is, if you have relevant and current skills and can work well with other senior leadership...and be customer-facing... jobs aren't that difficult to land. The little blurb in the article sums it up well enough.

As another person said, though, end of the day it's a 10-plus years of experience thing. Really, in my observation more like 15 once you've been-there/done-that and know how to handle challenging customer problems with insane requirements and constraints that someone like me imposes

End of the day, every role in that article requires smarts, some level of education, deep subject matter expertise, and more than a little innate talent in the subject. Plus quite a bit of passion. "Geophysicist" for example means Bachelor's, Master's (usual), and significant math skills day-to-day.

Most people are lacking some, most, or even all of the previous. Which is why the jobs pay well, and the skills are in demand: if demand outstrips supply, well, there you go. It takes a special kind of persistence to not burn out doing most of those jobs, too: I simply call it, "refusal to quit and hunger to continuously learn and grow."

Old 07-23-2016, 01:55 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Luck, networking, nepotism, and Cronyism from my experience. In my 10 years in the private sector Ive seen ALOT of goofballs who couldn't find their butt with both hands making a significant amount of money and in decision making positions of power who make generally all the WRONG decisions and as a result it has serious long term effects on the company.

Yet these idiots stay in power.

Qualifications are usually LAST On the list. Outside of certain positions like the medical field.

You don't need ability.. Hell you don't even need brains or common sense for the most part. Its all about who you know and kissing rear end at the end of the day.

If it was all about ability and merit, you wouldn't have so many useless morons running companies into the ground today would you?

These days I have found employers would rather see their companies go to s*** and hire "Yes men" and "beer drinking and golf buddies" than they would legitimate candidates who they may not hit it off on a personal level with the hiring manager or be good beer drinking buddies but can bring great value to those positions

Old 07-23-2016, 11:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,556 times
It should be noted that due to the oil and gas price bust, there are a lot of drilling engineers, geophysicists and reservoir engineers (representing 3 out of the 11 cited occupations) that are on the sidelines these days. A lot of well-trained and experienced people are looking for work in those disciplines.

Suffice it to say that this article comes to us straight from the "take it with a grain of salt" department...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment