Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

At 10 minutes to closing they have already announced the "Please complete your purchases and leave the store," over the PA. At 15 minutes before closing the doors are locked from the outside to keep new people from coming into the store. Your $10 purchase could cost the store hundreds of dollars in overtime, so they don't want you in there. Next time, either show up half an hour before closing or go to a 24 hour convenience store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
I'd go eat at a different [snip]. I can't believe you called corporate over this. It's not like a rubber glove was in your sandwich. You tattled on your roommates? How dumb are you??? Seriously. Of course they knew it was you who called corporate. They saw you. I'd look for a new place to live and not tattle on any other people you know when they're not doing anything wrong. Yes, sometimes will close a few minutes early. Somehow you made it until 9:50 pm without a sub. Pretty sure you'll make it all night without one. Go to the grocery store and the ingredients to make it at home.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Contact the corporate office and complain. Complain about the actions of the manager. You are a customer. You were there during posted operating hours. The fact that there could have been a legitimate reason to shut the doors is no excuse for some sandwich maker to be disrespectful to you and for that manager to now respond in the manner they did. Very unprofessional of the manager. Both need to be fired and thrown out on the street. Both screwed up and they need to be held accountable for their actions.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:26 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,212 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Just because they agreed with you doesn't mean that they would have called corporate. I agree as well because you already did it, but I wouldn't have called.

Just today, I opened the door for someone and wasn't thanked. A moron cut me off on the interstate. I had a doctor's appt. at 9AM but had to wait two hours.

You must be young. You see, life isn't fair and life's too short. Optimistic, successful and happy people treat these daily inconveniences like water off a duck's back.

Enjoy life!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 03:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Ok, I work retail and we have a set closing time every day. We always get that one person who strolls in at 5 minutes before we close and begins to shop. However, we still welcome them because they made it before the time we lock the doors.

None of us likes to see that happen, especially after a long day, but it is what you do if you are in business. I think the OP was right, personally. I too would have called corporate and expected a customer to call corporate on us, if we closed earlier than our posted hour.

OP did nothing wrong. Trouble is, all [snip] are independently owned and operated, and corporate only oversees the operations.

I have pulled up to a fast food window at 10 till closing time and the lights are off. It ticks me off and I pull on up to the window and place my order. Your hours of operation are your hours of operation, not ten before.

Don

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 04:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 882,650 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I think that on one hand, the girl was wrong to give you a mean look and not serve you as a customer when they were still open. (assuming this is what happened, and you didn't do anything to provoke that)

On the other hand, I think calling and trying to get her in trouble is a definite overreaction. She was probably putting everything away because it was exceedingly slow and she didn't want to stand around and waste time all day just in case a Garchompa showed up 10 minutes before closing. Whether or not she was in the wrong, it seems that the proper response would have been to forget it and head to another location or another restaurant.

When you sit back and think about it, what are you really upset about? You didn't get a sub one time some X days ago. If this is not something worthy of being forgotten, then I don't know what is.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 04:19 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
The issue is that since I was most likely the last person to try to go in and the fact that my roommate's girlfriend who lives with us also works at the store (and my roommate also used to work at subway as well) it wasn't a question they knew it was me.
You complained to corporate about a retail storefront where a roommate works? And the person working the storefront at 9:50pm knew who you were?

Be careful nobody stabs you in your sleep.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:19 PM

210 posts, read 245,980 times
As someone who worked retail I know a lot about people who stroll in 5 minutes before closing expecting a lot from someone who wants nothing more than to go home.

It doesn't take a lot to be mindful of how your actions will impact another. Give yourself enough time to get something to eat in the future.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
What?

Umm..If a store says they are open till x then they should be open till x. I realize they have to clean but they should still have the necessary ability to serve customers until said closing time.

I didn't say anything. The door was already locked when I got there. Even when I called corporate I didn't use one curse word.

No, I just pulled on the door handle once then the lady turned around, saw me and gave me a nasty look.
i've never been a manager at a fast food restaurant, but i have been a very well liked manager. The thing most people like about their manager's is that the manager will stick up for them during the right situations. Who knows exactly what was told to this manager from corporate or the employee for that matter... They could have said you acted differently than you did which is why the manager gave you that comment. It's really odd to have an employee give you the message though.

If it were me - i would go and talk to this manager directly but expect there to be spit on your food next time you go in.. I really wouldn't bother going in there anymore.

But i do feel your pain on the late night closings. I'm certainly the one that always tries to go well before a place closes, but those hours are there for a reason - to serve customers.. Not let employees "get a head start" on cleaning up as another said. I've seen that annoyed look on employees' faces when the rare instance has come across when i've had to go in close to the closing time. I've always been extremely nice in these instances, but the employees are usually never happy (and that's unprofessional).

I personally would go to corporate with the issue - but that's because you did nothing wrong and they are acting in an unprofessional way.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM

270 posts, read 405,688 times
I worked at and was a shift manager in several Mod cut: company name deleted. when I was in college (a couple of decades ago, FWIW).

The owner of the one I was a manager at in no uncertain terms allowed us to close up early or even give the appearance to a customer that they were unwelcome to come in before closing. Furthermore, everything on the menu needed to be available (no breaking down equipment/grills early that would make a menu item unavailable).

Lobbies could be cleaned and the one in the back closed off, but putting the chairs up in the main dining area was a no-no (again, it made customers feel unwelcome). No taking off the tie until closing, and customers were to be greeted with the same friendly smile they would get at 5 PM.

He said the labor he had to pay for 4 people to stay an extra 20 minutes wasn't worth alienating his customers and the inevitable bad mouthing they'd give the store to 10 of their friends. Sooner or later all of us do one of those mad dashes just prior to close. I do remember we tended to have significantly more business after 10:30 than the Wendy's next door.

I still remember that lesson on customer service to this day, which is probably why it ticks me off so much when I see the employees closing up early.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment