Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:07 PM

28 posts, read 23,749 times

Advertisements

Thank you so, so much!!! I am so glad I found this forum. Every response was so helpful, I appreciate this so much!!!
So...I ended up asking for a higher salary, about 2 dollars more, explaining to them that I'm uprooting my family and my husband will not have a job yet. Ive never had to do this for a job. Is this ok?? I dont want to sound like I'm money grubbing. I just feel like it would take more for me to move. That was yesterday and they have not gotten back to me yet....I'm a little nervous now that I sabatoged something......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 02:27 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter9453 View Post
Thank you so, so much!!! I am so glad I found this forum. Every response was so helpful, I appreciate this so much!!!
So...I ended up asking for a higher salary, about 2 dollars more, explaining to them that I'm uprooting my family and my husband will not have a job yet. Ive never had to do this for a job. Is this ok?? I dont want to sound like I'm money grubbing. I just feel like it would take more for me to move. That was yesterday and they have not gotten back to me yet....I'm a little nervous now that I sabatoged something......
Depends where the offer came in for your position, area, industry, level, etc. Salary/market data is fairly easy to find and research these days. I always say it's usually good to negotiate for higher salary because almost every company tries to lowball or pay people below market value because the favor is still on the employer's side... most people are desperate for jobs. Lots of times a company has 10-30% more available to pay for any level of position, they just start at the bottom! However, if the company was already offering a solid market value, or maybe even top dollar, is could be disadvantageous to try to negotiate even higher. The one exception would be if you were making higher salary in a similar role in your past position, but I don't think that would apply to too many people. Most are taking positions that pay more in general.

I wouldn't stress out after only one day. It is likely be reviewed by various teams pending approval/disapproval. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 PM

28 posts, read 23,749 times
I just hope they wont change their minds about hiring me because I asked for more???

Old 07-29-2016, 02:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Quote:
I just hope they wont change their minds about hiring me because I asked for more???
You asked for $2 more an hour? That doesn't sound significant enough to counter for with such a high-level sounding role.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
If they can't do that they should tell you.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
I current live in the Chicago suburbs where I grew up. I'm married with 3 small children. I work part-time in a hospital that I LOVE; With my husband and I we make about $92000. We live comfortably, in a small house, cars are almost payed off, student loans and mortgage being our only debt. The things is, I don't love the town we live in, the schools are not good so we sent our kids to private (which is amazing. I absolutely love the private school they go to). All of our family, who are very helpful live in the area.
We recently visited friends in the DC area and I fell in love with it. I applied to a job and they gave me an offer for 76000 with a relocation package and 40000 in student loan repayment. The town is an hour west from DC so it's not super expensive, but more than here. My husband wouldnt have a job yet so we would live on my income until he found something (his work is not high paying). I would have to work full time with a lot of driving time....30 min each way, occasionally having to drive about an hour each way on a rural road so winter might be horrible. I won't see my kids as much, but the town and schools are wonderful!!!!

What do I do!?!?!
After working and being in school for over 15 years ...

If I had any job that I LOVED, then I would never leave it.

But you may be going to do something that is the exact same thing. Also, some people love what they do no matter what they do as long as it's a decent enough workplace.

That is decidedly NOT the case for me. If it is for you, then make the switch.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:05 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Money is not everything. Family IS everything. I would not consider it for a second.
If you are so enchanted by DC then take a family vacation there, see the sights, then come home to your roots and family.
Personally I think this whole business of families being scattered everywhere is the cause of a lot of unhappiness today.
Repeat: money is not everything.
On the other hand, family is a ball and chain for a lot of people who have codependency issues. Once you are an adult, your life is yours to live and you should do whatever you want. My parents moved across the country from their parents when they were 18. My granddad joined the Navy when he was 17 and never lived in the same state as his parents again. It's called growing up.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
That's not an unreasonable request and not greedy. You explained your need and if they really want you, they'll give you the extra money. If they've offered $76,000 and will pay off your $40,000. student loan, it seems obvious you are regarded as a prize by them. You certainly picked the right profession.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 07-30-2016 at 05:35 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 05:34 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
How does you husband feel about it. If he's not on board he can make your life miserable!

Old 07-30-2016, 06:55 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Basically I just want to move to DC. Once my husband finds a job, we would be making more.
Your nuts.....the housing costs will eat away any "raise" you think you are getting. The traffic alone is another reason to pass on this idea. Get back to DC and drive that commute a few times and let me know if you can make it in 30 mins......I bet you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment