Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:46 PM

12,871 posts, read 9,096,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Because it is the holy grail. Fed govt jobs have their issues (I have a friend in the fed system) but being worried about being homeless due to lay offs is not one of them. Trying to start a family or buy a house as a temporary private sector worker is untenable (since almost no jobs have union protection anymore they are all at will and potentially temporary). Also I think dealing with a little politicking would be fun, being able to stand up for yourself when someone is being condescending because you know at the end of the day you cant loose your job. The only reason politics suck in the private sector is because you can loose your job over it if you don't respond exactly correct. If I could just get up and walk out of a meeting when someone is being condescending and tell them I will re-engage when they change their behavior without fear or risk of being fired that would be solid gold, that's how it is in most fed jobs from what I have heard. Supervisors cant get away with raised voices or table slaps with out grievances filled and consequences as it should be.

Does it suck that lazy worthless people can get tenured in and just sit around, sure but the other protections govt jobs offer are more than worth dealing with lazy sally in the corner. I would take a pay cut to have a fed job where I could just walk out of a meeting when someone started their crap about word smiting on reports with a slightly elevated condescending tone then telling them its not acceptable behavior without fear of a later meeting with a higher up where my job was on the line.

People that get a fed job right out of college are set for life.
All I can say is you really, really, really have no idea what you are talking about. You think you can't get fired for acting the way you claim?

There is good and bad in Fed jobs, but there is an unbelievable amount of junk information out there and this is some of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,126,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
All I can say is you really, really, really have no idea what you are talking about. You think you can't get fired for acting the way you claim?

There is good and bad in Fed jobs, but there is an unbelievable amount of junk information out there and this is some of it.
If that is the case then they must be getting applicants due to the myths of old. Why would I take a job that is not secure when I can make more in the private sector?

I wonder how long it will take before they have a difficult time recruiting when people find out there is just as much insecurity?

Old 08-10-2016, 05:14 PM

34,089 posts, read 17,145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Do you really think that system that benefits the few at the expense of the many is going to work in the long term?

We benefit many-the record DJ means great 401k gains for the middle class.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,850,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
What about state jobs? Those positions are still pretty good. They are not exactly feds but they come close.
State jobs with a strong union = gold.
State jobs without a union (most of the South) = slightly better than the private sector.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,060,172 times
Quote:
Yea so you are a millionaire by 50-60 years old waking up at the a$$ crack of dawn for decades, I am not seeing the upside. I have start times around 9ish am as well and I love it, I would love to start at 10am but don't want to work my day job that late. If I could work 3/4 time and then work on my own business after work that would be gold but I still need the income to finance the business build up.

Also are we talking 10-20 million or barely squeaking by the 1 million mark ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG1 View Post
I am not a morning person, I function best between 11AM - 7PM.

The point about millionaires is that they tend to be go - getters and get up early in the morning.

To me anyone with net worth over a million dollars even in 2016 I would consider successful, most people have little or no net worth. Don't remember in the survey how wealthy the millionaires were who were early risers.
The point that Pittsflyer and I are making is that different people have different ideas of success. I live on Long Island, and most people work in New York City, having one-way commutes of 1.5 to 2 hours per day. Their lifestyle is basically commuting, working, and sleeping. They consider themselves successful. I would not consider myself successful with that lifestyle, no matter how much money I made. The only way I would consider myself successful with a job in NYC would be if I made enough to raise a family in or very close to the city, which the jobs that these "successful" people have do not pay nearly enough for.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We benefit many-the record DJ means great 401k gains for the middle class.
But unfortunately, that is going to come crashing down again, just like it always seems to do. Then again, you'll say that stock market crashes are good for the middle class, since we can then invest at a discount.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 PM

34,089 posts, read 17,145,875 times
Quote:
But unfortunately, that is going to come crashing down again, just like it always seems to do. Then again, you'll say that stock market crashes are good for the middle class, since we can then invest at a discount.

They are, as the next high is even higher as recessions cleanse out the bad parts of the economy.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They are, as the next high is even higher as recessions cleanse out the bad parts of the economy.
So in other words anybody who is less successful than you is the "bad part of the economy". Whatever.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,680,725 times
Quote:
The issue is the balance of power is out of whack, it is not an honest relationship because major employers hold all the cards and have the politicians in their back pockets. Our markets are flooded with people which drives prices down so there is a drastic imbalance of power.

We are at a tipping point where people are choosing transient life styles due to lack of income and job insecurity. As this happens the population is very easy to radicalize and you descend into fascism or communism.

I am seeing a proliferation of people putting off kids and not even looking at anything but tiny homes so that they can afford to only work 40 hrs a week instead of 80 hrs a week. I am also seeing a proliferation of people strategizing how to be homeless without suffering finding locals where you can take free or cheap showers and that have nice weather year round. People who are doing well don't think like this.

I am seeing laws being created to put pressure and make it functionally illegal to be homeless because the elites don't want their ambiance tainted with the society they have created.

Since you provided your perspective, I'll provide mine.

Major employers (really this is ALL employers) are about maintaining their bottom line. As stated before, the #1 goal is to remain profitable and stay in business. Business is competitive so you have to strategize to remain competitive in the market. The market is flooded with people due to companies sending jobs overseas. They do this because government regulations make it expensive to keep jobs here. This is a government issue, not a company issue. There is a threshold in which a company cannot cross, or if they do they risk going out of business and losing even more jobs. The goal should be to take a stern look at current regulations and work to "de-regulate" any that put a ridiculous burden on companies. By doing so, the companies should be able to bring jobs back and help re-stabilize our economy.

These people you speak of are deciding that instead of running the rat race, they choose to no longer participate in our capitalist economy. They can do so if they choose but need to understand the consequences that come along with it. They could eventually begin playing our welfare system and drive up the cost of welfare which will be recuperated through raising income taxes on those of us who choose to work. Essentially they want more for less. To get out, you need to put in.

The laws have nothing to do with keeping elites happy. It has to do with trying to regulate the number of people living off of the government. For every penny spent on a welfare recipient, it has to be taken from someone providing to the economy. It's harmful to our economy.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:18 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,680,725 times
Quote:
So in other words anybody who is less successful than you is the "bad part of the economy". Whatever.

I don't see where this was stated. By bad parts of the economy I think the intent was that companies who were hemorrhaging money and hurting the economy would be purged to make way for those who are boosting the economy.

Success is what you make of it. My version of success may be completely different than yours. Our goals are likely not similar. You made a little bit of a reach IMO by making the statement above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment