Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:37 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,597,980 times

Advertisements

I bet it was a "personality" issue. These days it's more about being cool and liked in the workplace or a "social butterfly" if not you don't fit in. It's very childish like high school. Get out of the office politics and get a job where the only thing that matters is skills, dedication and hard work. Ever think about driving a truck? 18 wheel tractor trailers? Lots of trucking companies are very veteran friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:03 PM

273 posts, read 209,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
What were those things you were doing? Could there be anything on your social media accounts? Are they set to private? Is there anyone who they could be mixing you up with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Maybe if the OP uses social media like FACEBOOK, - he might have stuff on there that employers don't like?

At Pentair electronic Packaging, a new Eng Manager got hired and he was a two faced lying backstabber to me. He got in there by "It's who you know not what you know stuff," - and that company division went out of business after he didn't make me go perm.
I do have a Facebook, but it's not in my real name. It's private and I never post on it.

A person on another forum brought up the possibility that I may be "blacklisted" in my current field, but I can't see that being true either. Because if I were blacklisted, I probably wouldn't get any jobs to begin with.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 PM

12,871 posts, read 9,096,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As a business owner, in an industry that has many transferable military to civilian positions, and knowing many other business owners, and as a disabled combat veteran, I can tell you that veteran discrimination is BS! If anything, we are seeing an overload of Veteran Worship to the point it has made veterans feel they are this perfect employee that they can walk off the battle field as an infantry soldier and immediately walk into a job as the director in a corporation. We have all seen those commercials but many fail to see that these are actually recruiting commercials by the DOD. They are not designed to make service members want to leave the military for a civilian job, no, they are designed to convince a civilian to join the military because it will get you a outstanding civilian job. Yeah right!

It is a very real thing. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. No one said anything about perfect employees or walking in as the director. Only you. I've been in the room where hiring managers were asking how to avoid even the chance of a vet coming up on the hiring list.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:39 PM

981 posts, read 901,865 times
dcarney, without knowing your field this comment might not even be valid, but i will throw it out there nonetheless. are you sitting around waiting for work to come to you? it sounds like these are smaller companies where being super engaged and even asking to take on work outside your defined job description is maybe what they want to see. i know as someone who has worked for an extremely large corporation and tech startups, the difference between the two in this area are enormous. at my large current employer taking proejcts outside your defined scope was cause for serious reprimand, and my startup you would be canned for not taking on work outside scope. i can imagine the military is more like the large corporation. it is obvious from the quality of your writing in these posts that you are of above average intelligence so something has to be going on here beyond just bad luck. maybe when u start the next job check in even daily to make sure u r meeting expectations? overkill i know but u sound like u want to make the next job work so what harm can it do, at a minimum will show enthusiasm and commitment to success.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I bet it was a "personality" issue. These days it's more about being cool and liked in the workplace or a "social butterfly" if not you don't fit in. It's very childish like high school. Get out of the office politics and get a job where the only thing that matters is skills, dedication and hard work. Ever think about driving a truck? 18 wheel tractor trailers? Lots of trucking companies are very veteran friendly.
This is something I'll look into. I do like driving and I've driven cross country multiple times already. Though, I would imagine that it would be a significant pay cut for me.

I figure I'll give my current career field one more shot before cashing it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
dcarney, without knowing your field this comment might not even be valid, but i will throw it out there nonetheless. are you sitting around waiting for work to come to you? it sounds like these are smaller companies where being super engaged and even asking to take on work outside your defined job description is maybe what they want to see. i know as someone who has worked for an extremely large corporation and tech startups, the difference between the two in this area are enormous. at my large current employer taking proejcts outside your defined scope was cause for serious reprimand, and my startup you would be canned for not taking on work outside scope. i can imagine the military is more like the large corporation.
See, I thought this may have been an issue at the first company (even though I was only there for 2 weeks). So I was very proactive with the second company. Whenever I saw something was amiss, I fixed it. I created documents in my free time at home. I created new systems for them. I even took work load from my coworkers when they were overwhelmed and I wasn't as busy.

In fact, just a few weeks ago, my boss actually gave me a project to work on that he was heading. I was the only person to be given this project so I thought that was a good sign.

Occasionally, I would be sitting around, but it was very rare and didn't last for long.

This is why I am so disturbed, especially by this last incident. I really worked hard and everyone seemed to like me. I had good rapport with coworkers and customers. I had no complaints and some customers even gave me rave reviews.

With the first company, in hindsight, they pretty much decided right away that they were going to get rid of me. With the second company, there were no warning signs that I could think of. There was nothing that would have stood out to me, even if I could go back in time knowing what I know now.

Quote:
it is obvious from the quality of your writing in these posts that you are of above average intelligence so something has to be going on here beyond just bad luck.
Thank you. And, yes, I agree.

Quote:
maybe when u start the next job check in even daily to make sure u r meeting expectations? overkill i know but u sound like u want to make the next job work so what harm can it do, at a minimum will show enthusiasm and commitment to success.
That's a good idea. I did do that for this job, but not daily and less often as I became more comfortable. I do think that there was a miscommunication in expectations (obviously, since I thought everything was going well and now I'm fired). So I will be more proactive about this the next time around.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:32 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,350,054 times
You don't have a crazy ex do you? One of my sons had a girlfriend with borderline personality disorder and for a few years after they broke up she would call his employers and tell them outrageous stories about him, fortunately it only cost him one job, the second time she did it his boss recognized the 'type' and told him about it and said he has an ex who does the same crazy $hit

Old 08-10-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You don't have a crazy ex do you? One of my sons had a girlfriend with borderline personality disorder and for a few years after they broke up she would call his employers and tell them outrageous stories about him, fortunately it only cost him one job, the second time she did it his boss recognized the 'type' and told him about it and said he has an ex who does the same crazy $hit
LOL nope, no crazy ex.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,784,618 times
There is apparently something that you are not telling us.

Job #1: Apparently found something that turned them off of you before you started.

The other jobs got rid of you real fast, after your picture and information on you was made public.

I well bet there is something that you are hiding, that is killing your job chances real fast. When you are having a pre-hiring investigation on your past, there are companies that do the checks, and know everything about you. If there was anything in your past that they did not like, you are either not hired or terminated. You probably do not think it is important or related to your being employed, but if there is something that the companies that hire don't like, you are gone.

I read an example by a young woman. She finally got a job working at a nursing home. She went home and put on facebook that she finally had a job to start the next day. She said she was not too happy with the job, as she hated even touching or speaking to an older person. She went to work for the first time the next day, and was told she was not going to be going to work, as they did not want anyone working there that hated old people the way she did.

It could be that someone hates you, and as soon as you get a job or are being investigated they make sure that the information on you, is made available to the potential/employer.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is apparently something that you are not telling us.
I've told you everything that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Job #1: Apparently found something that turned them off of you before you started.
Job #1 was military-related. A previous commander wrote something in my private record that the receiving commander was able to see.

This is not something that is publicly available (I know this for a fact since I've directly work with this system) and this commander is not following me around causing trouble (I know some people at her current base. She is too busy making their lives miserable).

Quote:
The other jobs got rid of you real fast, after your picture and information on you was made public.
The first job did not make my information public. There was no online evidence that I ever worked there.

The second job did make my information public and you could have easily found it on a google search. If there is somebody following me around causing trouble, then, yes, they could have called my bosses and sabotaged me.

I have no reason to believe that this is happening though and, if it is, there's really nothing that I can do to stop it.

Quote:
I well bet there is something that you are hiding, that is killing your job chances real fast. When you are having a pre-hiring investigation on your past, there are companies that do the checks, and know everything about you. If there was anything in your past that they did not like, you are either not hired or terminated. You probably do not think it is important or related to your being employed, but if there is something that the companies that hire don't like, you are gone.
Well, there's no way that I can prove or disprove this since I don't know what they think is important. I'm not hiding anything that I personally believe is significant. But who knows?

I figure no use worrying about it. There's absolutely nothing that I can do to fix this.

Quote:
I read an example by a young woman. She finally got a job working at a nursing home. She went home and put on facebook that she finally had a job to start the next day. She said she was not too happy with the job, as she hated even touching or speaking to an older person. She went to work for the first time the next day, and was told she was not going to be going to work, as they did not want anyone working there that hated old people the way she did.
I don't post on social media.

Quote:
It could be that someone hates you, and as soon as you get a job or are being investigated they make sure that the information on you, is made available to the potential/employer.
That's possible, but unlikely. I can never know for sure though.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:55 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,664,025 times
I am sorry that you've gone through this. May I ask what type of jobs or what industry the jobs were in?

It may not be you; it may be that you are accepting jobs in the wrong line of work or for the wrong types of companies. Or, perhaps there is something that is excluding you from working in a certain industry.

For instance, some military contractors can be picky about security clearance eligiblity of new hires, as it can influence their ability to land contracts. So, if there is a reason someone is unable to pass a security screen, that could cause issues with being hired or maintained.

One suggestion: If you're within six months of leaving the service, the VA has career counseling services available (http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/...counseling.asp) Many community colleges also offer career counseling, and some state governments also provide job counseling services to veterans. You might look into those sorts of services in your area. Sitting down with a professional counselor who can go over your resume and ask more detailed questions about the jobs/employers and what happened may help you figure things out better than asking strangers on the internet.

Most likely, though, you may have just hit a string of bad luck with the employers you've chosen. Don't get discouraged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment