Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 AM

273 posts, read 209,535 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

I'm in a bad way right now. I just found out that I was fired for the second time in 6 months. I recently got out of the military. All was good at the time.

I got out and had a job lined up with a contracting company. That fell through at the last minute. I was told that it had to do with one of my references, but nothing beyond that.

After that, I got a job with a somewhat shady company. The first week seemed to go fine. They decreased my hours considerably the second week and I was fired at the end of that week. I was told that this was due to performance issues, though they were very vague about it and never counseled me on anything.

After that, I left my home state and moved to a different state. It was a state I was planning to move to anyway. I got a job there with what I thought was an awesome employer. Things seemed to be going well. They kept giving me more and more responsibilities and I was doing as much work as everyone else, sometimes more. This company has a website. They had a professional photographer come and take pictures of me. They put my name, a bio, and my picture on their website.

I went to work today. I had a great day. I really felt like I was learning all of the systems and getting things down pat. Then WHAM! I get a call tonight from the office manager, stating that I'm fired and that I have to go in tomorrow to give the company laptop back. She, again, cited performance issues. But if I was really performing badly, then why were they giving me more work? Hell, I actually had a schedule of assignments for the next month.

So I've basically been fired three times in the past 6 months. The first one seemed to be from a bad reference. I figured out who that was and didn't list them as a reference anymore (which is why I got the next 2 jobs).

Now, I'm not blaming the companies. There absolutely has to be something wrong with me, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten fired from two entirely different companies for similar reasons.

But this last one really blindsided me. I mean they really went above and beyond to include me in multiple areas. They gave me a laptop, printed business cards with my info on it, and even put me on their website.

So I'm very confused. If my performance was so bad, why go through all of that? Hell, if they weren't interested in keeping me, why go through all of that?

Maybe it's a personality issue. Maybe I'm less pleasant than I thought I was?

Any ideas? Anyone have anything similar happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 06:17 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Ask for an exit interview. It's reasonable to ask an employer for feedback as to why they found your performance less than ideal. Do it politely and in the spirit of you learning how you can improve your skills or work on whatever is at issue.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:25 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Definitely ask. I would be worried that perhaps someone has been contacting employers and telling them something bad about me - is that possible? Do you have any skeletons in the closet? Is it possible that bad reference found out where you work and called them?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,842 times
America is a country on the decline where GOOD workers don't make it and the worst stupid people become bosses. Look at yourself seriously and see if you are to blame; otherwise, there could be a secret conspiracy against you to prevent steady employment.

I strongly suspect there is a secret database of everyone working in America. And if the NWO tells your employer to fire you, they will fire you. And prevent you from working too.

There are also books on Amazon predicting that America will be destroyed, because it is an evil Babylon that poisons the World with its bad music and movies & etc...

Old 08-10-2016, 06:42 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I would definitely try to get more info. It sounds like you're trying to do things correctly but it isn't working out and you don't know why.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:21 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
That's crazy. Absolutely follow up. Something is definitely going on.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,006,984 times
How long have you been out of the military? What was your MOS? What were the position you were hired for?

Unfortunately, despite all the marketing saying otherwise, military veterans are one of the highest unemployed group in the USA. A large part is militarily work doesn't translate well to civilian employment, Military operations within job functions don't always translate well to civilian operations even for some similar positions. But most often, military personal structure actually interfere with the integration back into civilian life. Because there is no real effective transition process (most programs have been shown to be a failure) many veterans walk out with a distorted view of their values and opportunities. Fortunately, the transition does get easier as time goes on.

This is a difficult subject to discuss as not many are willing to admit they are going through the exacat same thing you are going through. As a result, recently discharged veterans think its them when it's just a need to reorganize your way of doing things to work within the civilian world.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:49 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
This. ^^^ +1

Old 08-10-2016, 10:22 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
How long have you been out of the military? What was your MOS? What were the position you were hired for?

Unfortunately, despite all the marketing saying otherwise, military veterans are one of the highest unemployed group in the USA. A large part is militarily work doesn't translate well to civilian employment, Military operations within job functions don't always translate well to civilian operations even for some similar positions. But most often, military personal structure actually interfere with the integration back into civilian life. Because there is no real effective transition process (most programs have been shown to be a failure) many veterans walk out with a distorted view of their values and opportunities. Fortunately, the transition does get easier as time goes on.

This is a difficult subject to discuss as not many are willing to admit they are going through the exacat same thing you are going through. As a result, recently discharged veterans think its them when it's just a need to reorganize your way of doing things to work within the civilian world.

Hmmm..

I did not have a hard time transitioning. We had a great TAPS (Transition Assistance) program on base. In fact, I had a job while on terminal leave.

I think that location matters, though. Without divulging too much information about my location, we have numerous bases within a 100 mile radius.

Employers here tend to be more 'veteran' friendly.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:01 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
OP, do you have a relatively common name that could have engendered a phone call after you appeared on the company website? If someone with a name/face/age similar to yours is an evil-doer, it's possible that this information was erroneously applied to you and the employers are skittish about keeping you on.

Good luck, and do ask for particulars when you return the laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment