Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
As a manager, I fond the following to be normal in our corporate environment:

1. 50% of employees did the required work and did it well.

2. 10% of employees did not meet the standards.

3. 20% exceeded expectation.

4. 10% far exceeded expectation.

During any downsizing or layoff the 10% that did not measure up are gone. This is also the reason no one wants to hire the first round of layoffs. Every corporation has about 8% to 10% dead weight at any given time.
I agree with this up to a point. I'd say No 4 is 5% and the 3 is 10% (Or less)

But that's what MOVES the company. Not every employee is a superstar, nor will ever be nor paid as such.

To read some responses, we should all be stomping on each other to show how bad we want that big paycheck, eliminating the competition by all means and basically screwing others for nothing more than a shiny coin....That gets taken away when you die.

Is that what we all are here for?, I quit that kind of thinking years ago....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
In a perfect world, going above and beyond your job scope shows you take initiative to do other things to contribute to the company. That usually goes noticed very well, and will factor into the company's decision to invest more in you.
In my opinion going above and beyond for an employer that treats you like crap simply reinforces bad behavior. Why should they pay Chemists more than $15 an hour if they can get people for that and those people are motivated and do an excellent job for it as opposed to getting fresh grads who grow more and more disengaged and leave or stay do a poor or mediocre job.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but I suspect most of the responses will say, "It's your obligation to do your best," "You owe whatever to the company," blah blah blah. I don't think so though. So far I haven't found a reason to. Raises and other perks seem to be random, but I have found that having a good attitude helps you get promotions and a raise. You should do the bare minimum, however, or you are at risk of getting fired.
Technically can't you do good enough NOT to get fired?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:16 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Because just putting in your time and doing the bare minimum is boring and you want to be doing something else a few years from now.

If that is not true, forget I said anything, and carry on.
But wait doesn't every job get boring AT SOME POINT?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:34 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
But wait doesn't every job get boring AT SOME POINT?
Well, sure, on occasion, you have to deal with a little boring. But you don't have to make a career of it.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:03 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,929 times
Quote:
Why should I?
I get paid the same at the end of the day weather I do more or less work so why should I right?
You shouldn't; many companies have a need for people with no ambition who want to stagnate in the same position indefinitely. This is especially true in service industries, helpdesks and similar where otherwise good or great employees are happy just doing what their job description says, nothing more. The result is consistently well rated customer-facing service, as opposed to a cycle of poor service from new hires who don't have the experience, that ultimately turns to good service with experience, but then they either request a transfer or resign for a better opportunity, leaving the manager to start over with a new hire, costing customer service and causing new training expenses. Many managers love employees who don't want to go the extra mile.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:55 PM

140 posts, read 255,340 times
Quote:
Why should I?
I get paid the same at the end of the day weather I do more or less work so why should I right?
I feel that I always go above and beyond but seldom do supervisors notice. I guess I do it for myself because being "adequate" doesn't suit me. I like to go home feeling that I have accomplished something, and I believe in the old adage that "a job worth doing is worth doing well".

I guess I can't really put "I gave 110%" at this job or that job on my resume - but in my heart, I know that I did. And every once in awhile, I have had a supervisor who did notice my extra efforts, and though I did not always get raises or amazing accolades, sometimes that pat on the back went a long way.

In essence, at the end of the day, our expectation of ourselves is what truly matters.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
If you go above and beyond, what is the employers motivation to promote you? Because they are already getting more work out of you than they are paying you for.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I have seen it happen.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:41 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
In a perfect world, going above and beyond your job scope shows you take initiative to do other things to contribute to the company. That usually goes noticed very well, and will factor into the company's decision to invest more in you.
There's lots of posts on here from people who have gone above and beyond and they got passed over for a promotion and/or raise. Anyone can do 110 percent everyday but that may or may not make a difference when the company wants to invest more in you.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:15 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Why should I?
you don't have to....but can you ever aspire to greatness if you dont?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment