Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,500,916 times

Advertisements

Self respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,697,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Why should I?
I get paid the same at the end of the day weather I do more or less work so why should I right?

I don't know why you should, but I do because it is a part of my work ethic and my character. I never allow myself to become complacent because I want to advance in my career. I push myself to be better today than I was yesterday because in life I feel that we all should strive for greatness and not settle for complacency.

I've been at my job for three years. In my initial interview I told the manager that in three years I wanted to move back into management (I was a manager in my last job) but I wanted to learn the processes here before making the leap again. For the past three years I have been working non-stop to build a reputation as the go to person when someone needs help. I've worked longer hours, weekends, and whatever else was needed to meet a deadline and never once complained.

Last week I applied for two management positions. Because I have worked for my reputation I included four letters of recommendation for the other managers I support. The interview went very well and I am waiting for the official offer letter now. The manager I interviewed with was the same one who interviewed me three years ago. His comments? "Well, I guess you were serious about moving up.... you've made a lasting impression on the people you support. Your work has impressed us all so I think you deserve one of these opportunities."

Old 08-25-2016, 07:19 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,094,149 times
Why? Work ethic, self respect, respect of others, personal accomplishment, a competitive spirit, and advancement potential.

I have always worked hard and attempted to go above and beyond. It has frequently resulted in promotions. Every time I have been promoted, I started off as a mediocre employee as I learned my job, became average, then highly competent, then respected.

Going above and beyond is a sustained effort. You won't get rewarded for a one-off attempt, but in most places promotions go to those who produce.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,392,062 times
I spent my whole career going above & beyond. That's how you get the raises and promotions. If your current employer doesn't cough up the raises & promotions, your co-workers who move on to other opportunities are going to recommend you as a go-to guy who should be hired at their new company.

If I'm a hiring manager, I'm not interested in "met expectations" people. I'm interested in people who take initiative, lead things, and find and solve problems nobody else even notices are a problem.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,697,998 times
I actually like that there are people who share the mindset of the OP.... you know the ones that think all companies only promote brown nosers or friends, who try to use you up, who only want to skate by, etc...

Those folks are just people that I can mark off my list as my competition for a promotion and allow me to focus on becoming better than the few left who have a good work ethic. My current opportunity would be to be the manager in the group I work in now. It's riddled with people who share the mindset of doing the least and just getting by. I warned the hiring manager that there would need to be changes made as I don't share those values (or lack thereof) and his response was sometimes you have to rock the boat to create change and part of the reason that they want me for the position is because of my work ethic and my desire to see the department succeed. It will succeed, but whether or not these folks are still here when it does is left up to them.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 AM

455 posts, read 390,151 times
Quote:
Why should I?
I get paid the same at the end of the day weather I do more or less work so why should I right?
There are the doer's and the not doer's. The doer's usually weather the storm whether or not they are experts. The don't doer's usually end up on the short stick whether or not they cry foul.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:57 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,350,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
In my experience it rarely pays off especially in the private sector. The only thing that pays off there nowadays is politics and brown-nosing.
I mean

Isn't good enough, GOOD ENOUGH?????

Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,476,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
There are the doer's and the not doer's. The doer's usually weather the storm whether or not they are experts. The don't doer's usually end up on the short stick whether or not they cry foul.
More like there are doers and there are talkers and the doers get laid off because they don't like to *** all day long in the break room or schmooze and they then have trouble finding work where as the talkers even if they do get laid off (which they are usually the last) they use their connections to get work easily.

The modern workplace is such a cluster F.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,476,814 times
MY story.

I was told you had to work hard in college and choose a difficult relevant major and it would pay off. So I worked my @ss off for a chemistry major instead of having the "Animal House Experience." I even got a graduate degree. I graduated and got offered Sh*t $15 an hour no benefits temp jobs.

So I took a temp job and was told you have to work hard and you would be rewarded with a perm position. Well that never happened.

See the pattern. That reward for hard work is a carrot at the end of a stick that you will never taste so why keep chasing it.

Also for all those work hard out of pride people the last I checked this wasn't a communist utopia. People work hard for money and promotions not just because they want to. Nice how companies love capitalism when it provides them cheap labor but hate it when it means they have to pay to motivate workers.

I did finally find a good company to work for and I do work hard for them to reward them. But almost anywhere else why bother?

Old 08-25-2016, 10:17 AM

8,138 posts, read 7,524,496 times
Quote:
Why should I?

If it's already a challenge for you to get the fries onto the tray while they're still hot, then by all means just keep doing the minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment