Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

It isn't supposed to kicknoff.

YOU make that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Nep, you make that much money for doing barely nothing? What profession are you in?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
I have always received "average" performance evaluations that say mostly positive things about me, with a few constructive things here and there. I'm not perfect, so yeah.
When your reputation is just average performance with some constructive things here and there, combined with being a regular job hopper, there is no wonder you have not progressed in your field.

The people that move up are the ones that are solid performers, getting far above average performance review, not just the average job hopper worker. You have not shown you have what it takes to move up performance wise, and they don't want to promote job hoppers as they know they will never recover their additional investment in you. They are going to move up the above average performer, who will be there for the long haul.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:23 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I feel like my career is never going to kick off. Every time I accept a new job, I have high hopes that this new job is going to be "the one" and that I'm finally going to get the opportunity to show my skills and really advance up the ladder and build my resume. But it doesn't happen. Ever. I am now 32 years old and still a staff level employee. I have always received "average" performance evaluations that say mostly positive things about me, with a few constructive things here and there. I'm not perfect, so yeah.

When I was 22 years old and just starting my career, I would never ever have imagined that I would still be at staff level ten years later. I do believe in my personal case, it's probably because I've had too much movement between jobs (6 jobs in 10 years and 2 year's worth of unemployment). Plain and simple. But at the same time, most of the work that has been given to me has been......bizarre and simplistic. Not much that really develops one's career.

With that said, it doesn't necessarily bother me. I am more than happy to make $70K and work 40 hours a week as a single householder. My goal is to stay with my current employer for at least 5 years in order to build stability and hopefully develop professionally down the road. But if advancing up the ladder means working 45+ hours a week, then I'm absolutely not interested. At all. I value personal time immensely, because life is short and work sucks in general. Or maybe I'm "doing it wrong" or I just "don't get it." But I am 100% content living an average lifestyle without bells and whistles.

When did YOUR career kick off? Does it happen at different times for different people? Do some people never experience a career kick off? Who knows...maybe mine will never kick off, or maybe it will kick off when I'm in my late 30's or something. Idk.
You are quite correct that your career is never going to kick off if you continue to strive for mediocrity as exhibited in the rest of your post. You know what you need to do but don't want to make the effort. The choice is yours. You are "doing it wrong" but you do "get it."

Old 08-31-2016, 05:08 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
It won't until you establish some kind of relationship, schmoozing, brown nosing, with the higher ups. It has nothing to do with the value you bring, your intelligence, knowledge,work ethic etc. and has EVERYTHING to do with who you know. That's the sad pathetic reality of the workplace today. Until you do these things your career will never take off. You'll be in the same spot forever despite even perhaps being of more value than most people above you
The things that SHOULD be the most important things dont seem to really matter at all these days in the workplace. The shallow pathetic crap that shouldn't matter means everything

Mediocrity or going above and beyond. It doesn't matter. There are more mediocre people running companies or in positions of power who have NO BUSINESS being in Those positions than there are people who belong in those positions

You could be the best and brightest but if you don't have the connections you'll be stuck in the same place for years while the butt kissing cronies or family members of the execs fly past you on the promotional ladder

ROFLMAO @ people still with that old meritocracy mindset today. That doesn't exist anymore in the workplace. Maybe at 5 percent of the companies in America that may still exist

Last edited by DorianRo; 08-31-2016 at 05:18 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 AM

155 posts, read 136,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The things that SHOULD be the most important things dont seem to really matter at all these days in the workplace. The shallow pathetic crap that shouldn't matter means everything

Mediocrity or going above and beyond. It doesn't matter. There are more mediocre people running companies or in positions of power who have NO BUSINESS being in Those positions than there are people who belong in those positions

You could be the best and brightest but if you don't have the connections you'll be stuck in the same place for years while the butt kissing cronies or family members of the execs fly past you on the promotional ladder
Thank you for bringing up this point which has been missing in this thread. The amount of mediocre people in upper management positions is a travesty. It is due to patronage and the desire to have lap dogs.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
It won't until you establish some kind of relationship, schmoozing, brown nosing, with the higher ups. It has nothing to do with the value you bring, your intelligence, knowledge,work ethic etc. and has EVERYTHING to do with who you know. That's the sad pathetic reality of the workplace today. Until you do these things your career will never take off. You'll be in the same spot forever despite even perhaps being of more value than most people above you

ROFLMAO @ people still with that old meritocracy mindset today. That doesn't exist anymore in the workplace. Maybe at 5 percent of the companies in America that may still exist
Sounds like sour grapes to me, and a bunch of excuses.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:

Oh, I dunno.

It worked for my father, my brother, my wife, many of my friends...see, they bring true excellence to their work and are rewarded for it. In many, many different fields.
Not do the minimum and wonder why no one's throwing them a party. Typical millennial crap.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:48 AM

1,199 posts, read 639,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh, I dunno.

It worked for my father, my brother, my wife, many of my friends...see, they bring true excellence to their work and are rewarded for it. In many, many different fields.
Not do the minimum and wonder why no one's throwing them a party. Typical millennial crap.

Unfortunately, we can't take posts like this at face value because of the Dunning-Kruger effect. There are an awful lot of people out there who think they're smarter or harder-working than they really are, to the point where they dismiss other factors, including personal contacts and dumb luck.

Just as we shouldn't take Donald Trump at face value when he claims he's self-made, we shouldn't take Internet posters at face value when they claim to be the living embodiment of The American Dream.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I agree about the "who you know" thing. Most people that I've seen move up in their careers have some interpersonal relationship with the big wigs and management. They're in their favor, so they get promoted, even if they're not THAT great of an employee.

Personally, I don't like work in general. I know I'm in the right career, based on career assessment tests, which almost ALWAYS say that accounting is the right career for me. But, honestly, i can't wait to retire ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment