Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 01:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times

Advertisements

OK so here's the story. In August, we had the new year start for school. I work in a high school as a paraprofessional with three special education classrooms with teacher. The behavior classroom teacher from last year leaves the school and is replaced with a new teacher (whom never really worked in a high school special education environment) I was set to work with a non-self contained classroom like I was most of the Spring semester last year, before getting pulled over to the other classroom, the severe and profound classroom. Up until two weeks ago, I worked with them, when I was put into the behavior classroom. The behavior classroom has the new student as well as three new Autistic students. One student isn't a problem at all. One has been out for almost all of September but I've dealt with from time to time though he is runner. The other well here's the thing, he is violent.

I've dealt with him a time or two before going into the classroom full-time and he has hurt several paras to the point of them being out for a day or so. He has been a problem getting into academics, I've had to do hand-over-hand writing or highlight nouns on reading for him while either stares at me or into space. Yesterday, the district wanted to set up a new transition because within the first month and a half what was going on wasn't working. Due to my up until then good relationship with the student, I was chosen as the one to help him.

Well this would have worked had he not gotten wired at about 10:30AM. Somewhat normal though, it didn't go away after lunch like it normally would. However, he had one of his days which was a bit different than the normal I have seen in the classroom but I knew can happen where he tries to take off clothing and hitting people including himself, during the walk around part of the new system for him after his lunch. We finally sat him down and tried to start the work part. Then the teacher (who mind you was in a meeting with the support team trying to set up the new system) proceeds to get him to sit down with her when he should have been getting ready to go for the walk with me. When he stood up, before I could attempt to get him to walk with me, is sat down by the teacher. Then I walk up to him and he starts to walk around the room which is not common and he has done before. Then he started hitting again. He often thinks you are chasing him so I stayed where I was since he was walking around in a fluster state, looking for an opening to walk up and show him the prompt. Then, all of a sudden he grabbed another students iPad and threw it at me. It hit me right in the right ear. I went to the floor partially for my glasses, partially due to pain and partially for my own protection. I ended up getting sent home with a workman's comp case that luckily I was fine on but as I went into the doctor's office at the urgent care that we are asked to go to, I found I had a headache and a dizzy spell. So I wonder if I got a mild concussion/bell ringing during this assault (let's call it what it really was.)

As I type this I am not sure what I can do or what I should do, all I know is I want out of that room. The teacher don't have the interests of the student nor the paras in her plan. The school apparently knows this kid has a record and knows of complaints with this teacher by other paras with two saying she does things wrong. I also feel unsafe in that room. I cannot work in that room fearing my next injury with this student whether it is bruises or worse, a concussion. I've worked with many different students in all three rooms in the past ten months and honestly, I have not had this fear or a problem that has led to this fear until yesterday. Am I able to claim this as an unsafe work environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 03:29 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Yes, it sounds unsafe. Were you fully trained to deal with these types of situations, and people with violent tendencies? If not, I would either seek proper training on how to handle these situations, or find a new job. Even if they are children, it's not easy dealing with aggressive people. It takes a special kind of person with thick skin and extreme patience.

It sounds like your employer is trying to dump a job on you that others have refused, or simply don't want to do.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, it sounds unsafe. Were you fully trained to deal with these types of situations, and people with violent tendencies? If not, I would either seek proper training on how to handle these situations, or find a new job. Even if they are children, it's not easy dealing with aggressive people. It takes a special kind of person with thick skin and extreme patience.

It sounds like your employer is trying to dump a job on you that others have refused, or simply don't want to do.
It's kind of both. We're waiting on people to get fingerprint cards back as per new policy and they are vastly understaffed. Three paraprofessionals left since September, one wasn't cleared for high school going back from an injury last year. So beyond any new students that needed one on ones, we need four paraprofessionals really. I don't mind where I work just that specific classroom I cannot work in.

I wasn't trained but I put in for training as asked by my general supervisor.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:29 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,792 times
I admire the work you paras do -- it is a very hard job, physically and mentally, and all of you are underpaid.

I have two friends that are paras and both have been hurt in the classroom. Both transferred out of that school and went to another one. I don't know if that would work in your area, but that's the only advice I have for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment