Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:12 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Cultural fit can be very important. You spend a lot of time at your workplace so if it's going to make you miserable, it's better to just move on and find something that's a better fit.
Theoretically fine...but are jobs SO readily available that you can just switch out if you desire? Oh, I know, in the US there is certainly no pressure for businesses to make even minimal efforts to cater to employees...

But wait, supposedly that's exactly what dog friendly employers are doing....it is a conundrum. It's all just marketing...a way to get employees to work for you without paying because of these cost-free "benefits" - bring your dog to work with you! blah blah Those who don't like dogs are just stuck because even if you can find another job it may require a 2 hour commute or have crappy(ier) benefits, etc.

So you have to pick your battles. Doesn't matter if you have miserable allergies, as long as the cost of your meds is less than the cost of a longer commute then just suck it up and don't complain because you DO have a choice. It's like playing "would you rather have all your skin burned off or slowly asphyxiate to death? - your choice!"

Old 09-17-2016, 08:29 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
You read all these messages here about how hard it is to find any kind of job and yet there are places that allow you to bring pets and stock booze for the employees.
It surprises you that web forums attract incessant whiners, complainers, and negative nancys? It doesn't surprise me that you hear this kind of stuff.

In the real world, I never encounter the amount of negativity and whinyness that I do here. This place has a far more negative vibe than IRL.

Last edited by SQL; 09-17-2016 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-17-2016, 08:45 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
we had a company cat one time, she lived at the office, no telling where she end up during the day. Boss hater her in public but when she was a sleep in his office, you could tell they was both happy

Old 09-17-2016, 09:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Our company had one. ANd I have worked at others that allow such as well.

First company- The pet was a guard dog for our facility ...and strangely created a friendlier environment. Have a "ruff" day? Go visit the pup....it relieved some stress....

Second company was a senior living center....The residences loved the visits and it gave them a sense of responsibility....

Since fish in aquariums are seen at various company lobbies....having a pet in the building...can also create a somber workplace.

I recall during one of my moms stays at a center, we brought the two family pets in to visit. The doctor encouraged it to bring her out of the homesickness blues. All he** broke loss by staff. My gosh the dogs could have rabies! Attack the residences....or wittle on the floor and cause a slip!

I said, For one: They are in their carrier cage. For two , all dog tags show they are up to date on their shots. and three: More of your residence wittle on the floor then these dogs do.
I am going to visit my mom now in her PRIVATE room, if you would kindly have the Administrator stop at the room. Those pups do as the doctor ordered, they cheered her up.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Our company had one. ANd I have worked at others that allow such as well.

First company- The pet was a guard dog for our facility ...and strangely created a friendlier environment. Have a "ruff" day? Go visit the pup....it relieved some stress....
yes time out with the animal. many of time boss would say, sit here and pet the cat for thirty minutes

Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
At some point during an 8-hr. day, I'm sure that the dogs need to relieve themselves. I wonder how that's handled. Also, do the owners feed their pets at work?

Secondly, music thru overhead speakers was around when I started working in the early 1960s but never heard of booze except that brewery workers were allowed to consume all the beer they could hold as long as they did their work.

You read all these messages here about how hard it is to find any kind of job and yet there are places that allow you to bring pets and stock booze for the employees.
I think a lot of you are thinking of fancy offices o something, most often this is not the case. I work in nursing homes, and it is quite easy to take the dog out at lunch and walk him. I also frequent several small family-owned stores locally that have their dogs in the store all day. Again these are not untrained, barking running all over animals, they do what their owners say, we put a blankie down on the floor so they can rest, and they don't do anything to disturb anyone. IF someone was allergic and told the person, that is different, of course they wouldn't bring the dog in, but by and large the majority love having them around (we had one activities person who was afraid of dogs, even little ones, and we always made sure he was contained if she was around - if we had a patient in the gym who didn't like dogs, we'd lock him in the office when that patient was there.)

There is no reason to assume pet owners who bring their animals to work WITH permission of bosses would be so discourteous to co-workers needs as to not care if they had allergies.

We now have half a dozen cafes here who have signs proclaiming the outside seating area to be dog-friendly - they even bring them water.

I'm someone who lives in an apartment and can't have a dog, so I am thrilled to get any doggy time into my day!

Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think a lot of you are thinking of fancy offices o something, most often this is not the case. I work in nursing homes, and it is quite easy to take the dog out at lunch and walk him. I also frequent several small family-owned stores locally that have their dogs in the store all day. Again these are not untrained, barking running all over animals, they do what their owners say, we put a blankie down on the floor so they can rest, and they don't do anything to disturb anyone. IF someone was allergic and told the person, that is different, of course they wouldn't bring the dog in, but by and large the majority love having them around (we had one activities person who was afraid of dogs, even little ones, and we always made sure he was contained if she was around - if we had a patient in the gym who didn't like dogs, we'd lock him in the office when that patient was there.)

There is no reason to assume pet owners who bring their animals to work WITH permission of bosses would be so discourteous to co-workers needs as to not care if they had allergies.

We now have half a dozen cafes here who have signs proclaiming the outside seating area to be dog-friendly - they even bring them water.

I'm someone who lives in an apartment and can't have a dog, so I am thrilled to get any doggy time into my day!
Hey! Stop it!!!

You're not allowed to be genuinely happy while others feign unhappiness because they're bored and miserable people.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:34 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
I agree with the OP. Dogs do not belong in the office. I have a coworker who used to bring his smaller dog into the office. Every time the doorbell rang, the dog would loudly bark. It was distracting to say the least. It is extremely startling to be working on engrossed in a project and then hear loud barking. My coworker of course brought play toys in for the dog that a couple other coworkers used to entertain the animal. They would throw balls up and down the corridor outside of my office, followed, of course, by the dog sprinting past my office. It was all very irritating. We had consultants from the private sector come by our office and they're greeted by dog toys strewn about. It certainly didn't help to challenge the stereotype that people who work in the public sector don't actually work.

Of course when one coworker brings in their animal, others want to do so as well. My other coworker started bringing in a much larger dog who would invite itself into everyone's offices. Finally I had enough, complained to HR, and had the circus shut down. I felt my allergies kick in whenever the dogs were around. Also, it was unclear if the dogs would band together and start attacking employees. Animals are unpredictable. The dogs would follow me when I had food and would occasionally stare me down as I was trying to eat. It was a very tense and uncomfortable situation. Our office has returned to a much calmer state with the dogs gone.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I agree with OP. Dogs do not belong in the office. I have a coworker who used to bring his smaller dog into the office. Every time the doorbell rang, the dog would loudly bark. It was distracting to say the least. It is extremely startling to be working on engrossed in a project and then hear loud barking. My coworker of course brought play toys in for the dog that a couple other coworkers used to entire the animal. They would throw balls up and down the corridor outside of my office, followed, of course, by the dog sprinting past my office. It was all very irritating. We had consultants from the private sector come by our office and they're greeted by dog toys strewn about. It certainly didn't help to challenge the stereotype that people who work in the public sector don't actually work.

Of course when one coworker brings in their animal, others want to do so as well. My other coworker started bringing in a much larger dog who would invite itself into everyone's offices. Finally I had enough, complained to HR, and had the circus shut down. I felt my allergies kick in whenever the dogs were around. Also, it was unclear if the dogs would band together and start attacking employees. Animals are unpredictable. The dogs would follow me when I had food and would occasionally stare me down as I was trying to eat. It was a very tense and uncomfortable situation. Our office has returned to a much calmer state with the dogs gone.
Thank you....a circus is exactly what it is....and it is utter nonsense.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:43 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I have a cat and a dog, and I love them both. However, I definitely do NOT think it is okay to bring pets to work. What if one of your co-workers have allergies or a fear of dogs?

I once worked as a caregiver in a group home for troubled teenage boys with violent pasts, and one of my fellow caregivers insisted on bringing her pitbull to work. Every day I was in fear that the dog would "turn" on one of the boys. I honestly don't know why the person in charge of the program did not put an end to that immediately.

And, no, I do not mean for this to turn into another discussion about pitbulls because I know that some are sweethearts and remain so all their lives, but I also know that some have attacked with supposedly no previous history of any kind of aggression. (And, yes, the same can be said of other breeds, but the fact remains that pitbulls have the worst record of doing this.)

)https://lifestyle9.org/top-10-most-d...tay-away-from/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment