Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:31 AM

18,098 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

As someone who now runs very warm and has been in offices where someone adjusted the thermo up and up, I will let you ponder this: you can always wear more (layers), you can only take off so much.

What I would do (and have done long ago when I was young and used to get cold in an office <g>), is get a little ceramic heater (like 12" or smaller) and put it under your desk. They run very quiet so no one even needs to be the wiser. I wouldn't even tell anyone about it. Just put it under your desk. The heat will rise up and keep you warm but not bother anyone else.

Also, keep a pashmina or warm large wrap at your desk so you can put it around your shoulders if necessary.

There are many ways to be comfortable when it's cold.

Since I'm now always running warm I keep a small fan at my desk and run it so I have the air flow I need on my face. I think if an office is kept at a normal temp of 70 to 72 degrees, that should be fair to everyone.

Those who are warm can get a fan.

Those who are cold can wear a sweater or cover up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
come in early one morning and disconnect the flex duct from your vent above the ceiling, disconnect her vent too while you're at it

Old 09-22-2016, 11:39 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Maybe she will go on maternity leave soon & you won't have to deal with her for a while.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:43 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
As someone who now runs very warm and has been in offices where someone adjusted the thermo up and up, I will let you ponder this: you can always wear more (layers), you can only take off so much.

What I would do (and have done long ago when I was young and used to get cold in an office <g>), is get a little ceramic heater (like 12" or smaller) and put it under your desk. They run very quiet so no one even needs to be the wiser. I wouldn't even tell anyone about it. Just put it under your desk. The heat will rise up and keep you warm but not bother anyone else.

Also, keep a pashmina or warm large wrap at your desk so you can put it around your shoulders if necessary.

There are many ways to be comfortable when it's cold.

Since I'm now always running warm I keep a small fan at my desk and run it so I have the air flow I need on my face. I think if an office is kept at a normal temp of 70 to 72 degrees, that should be fair to everyone.

Those who are warm can get a fan.

Those who are cold can wear a sweater or cover up.

Unfortunately, having a ceramic heater can be considered a fire hazard and against office policy. Some offices will even confiscate them. I can understand it's easier to put on warmer clothing items but should that include winter gloves as well? I feel for the people who sit under those cold air vents that blow down on one's neck. I've considered air deflectors in our office but don't have the ladder to put them up and can't get anyone to do that. They're magnetic and are suppose to work - providing the vent register has metal in it but if it's the faux kind of register, it may just be a super hard plastic and thus the deflector would not stay in place. However, another idea of using some kind of sticky to put the (clear plastic - magnetic ends) deflector up but was told it could be a safety hazard if the sticky portion quit working. As for the comments of your co-workers, .

Old 09-22-2016, 11:58 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
You work with a bunch of snotty women.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:09 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLevinson View Post
Hello,
I was actually told I'm often to quiet and my opinion matters so I should " speak up more" but then when I did I'm treated poorly.
This is the story of my work life in my office. Sometimes I'm afraid to speak up for fear of offending people, but when I decide to be assertive and address work problems in the office to the manager, I'm now the bad guy because I judged her badly and she now refuses to speak to me beyond work.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:09 PM

15 posts, read 13,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
You work with a bunch of snotty women.

I think me being a quiet person hurts me. I consider myself nice and genuine but I don't brown nose or get personal. Some women don't like it when another woman doesn't act super interested in being her friend.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:13 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
It creates tension. I try so hard to not step on toes or say much at all.
I completely agree. It really bothers me when no one sympathizes about interpersonal problems at WORK because is "It's all about the WORK." We are human beings with feelings and working with people means having a relationship with them, whether good or bad. Tension between people makes the atmosphere very uncomfortable and is distracting.

Last edited by sas318; 09-22-2016 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-22-2016, 12:40 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
I think me being a quiet person hurts me. I consider myself nice and genuine but I don't brown nose or get personal. Some women don't like it when another woman doesn't act super interested in being her friend.
if your issue is the cold air blowing across you, and not the actual temperature, you could work with manager to cover the A/C vent? A plastic tarp or something taped over it to close it off since you said there wasn't a cover built into it

Old 09-22-2016, 12:56 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
I have no problem with that. I didn't think hell would break lose because I said I was cold. I have a problem with the rude comments.
from what you describe in the op, it doesnt seem like all hell broke loose ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment