Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:48 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Part of the problem is that this generation has been led to believe that they are too good for the blue collar fields, they talk about factory work as if is was some mystical job where people would go watch a bunch of machines do the work, and complain that other jobs will make you work your ass off. Little do they realize that factory work in the 70s was hard physical work, or those people were replaced by machines already.

There are blue collar jobs desperately trying to hire people across the country, the problem is 2 fold, people don't want to work that hard for the money these jobs pay to start, and they have been taught they are too good for that type of work.

People talk about how much better things were in the 90s, but they have no clue. I know plenty of people who had no chance to go to college, as parents were not just signing student loans for all their kids and pell grants were much more restricted money wise. Those that did go to college had jobs, and those that did not go to college worked 60 hours a week usually at a blue collar job and if that was not enough then they worked a 2nd job at a restaurant or something. When we turned 18 and graduated high school our parents told us college, military, or get a job and you have the summer to get your own place. Now kids star at their parents, work part time jobs, and talk about how good us older people had it. They have no idea.

Kids in the 90s coming out of high school could support a family of 3-4 with a high school education. They could get good paying jobs right out of high school and work their way up to good paying management positions within a few years. They could quit their job and within the week could find a better job. Good luck with that today. College graduates are waiting months sometimes even a year to just land a job that they will probably be under qualified for. Sure there are still blue collar jobs left in the country (Very few) but most aren't unionized jobs (As the companies have done away with them) which in turn means no rights for the workers, terrible pay.

Everything about the workforce today has been negatively impacted.

1. Companies operating on skeleton crews (Despite making record profits). Instead of hiring and getting properly staffed and creating job openings.
2. Wages either stagnating or declining despite higher costs of living over the past 25-30 years
3. Destruction of unions and workers rights
4. Greedier and less qualified people in positions of power negatively impacting EVERY facet of the workplace. (And what do you know. Its not the poor managers who made the terrible decisions that gets the company in the debacles they are in that get let go. Its the workers who didn't directly negatively impact the business)
5. People are now more educated and only saddled with a bunch of debt they can't pay off because there are very few good paying jobs left
Nothing today is better than before in the workplace. Absolutely NOTHING.

Young adults may be less motivated today because they have EVERY right to be. Look at this crumbling country, look at the crumbling infrastructure of both education and the workplace. Its not the young adults that need to be blamed. The boomers who have destroyed this nation are the ones to blame. From the company leaders to the politicians. Everything is their fault. Not the kids who did everything right (Went and got an education, put the effort in, only to realize there is nothing out there for them when they graduate)

Last edited by DorianRo; 09-25-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 09:59 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Kids in the 90s coming out of high school could support a family of 3-4 with a high school education. They could get good paying jobs right out of high school and work their way up to good paying management positions within a few years. They could quit their job and within the week could find a better job. Good luck with that today. College graduates are waiting months sometimes even a year to just land a job that they will probably be under qualified for. Sure there are still blue collar jobs left in the country (Very few) but most are unionized jobs (As the companies have done away with them) which in turn means no rights for the workers, terrible pay.

Everything about the workforce today has been negatively impacted.

1. Companies operating on skeleton crews (Despite making record profits). Instead of hiring and getting properly staffed and creating job openings.
2. Wages either stagnating or declining despite higher costs of living over the past 25-30 years
3. Destruction of unions and workers rights
4. Greedier and less qualified people in positions of power negatively impacting EVERY facet of the workplace. (And what do you know. Its not the poor managers who made the terrible decisions that gets the company in the debacles they are in that get let go. Its the workers who didn't directly negatively impact the business)
5. People are now more educated and only saddled with a bunch of debt they can't pay off because there are very few good paying jobs left
Nothing today is better than before in the workplace. Absolutely NOTHING.

Young adults may be less motivated today because they have EVERY right to be. Look at this crumbling country, look at the crumbling infrastructure of both education and the workplace. Its not the young adults that need to be blamed. The boomers who have destroyed this nation are the ones to blame. From the company leaders to the politicians. Everything is their fault. Not the kids who did everything right (Went and got an education, put the effort in, only to realize there is nothing out there for them when they graduate)
Gee golly, things are difficult, so let us give up and not try! Why didn't I think of that?!

200 year ago, those people would have starved to death. They are damn lucky to be alive in the time we are living in.

Maybe if they spent some of their time and energy FIXING some of the problems, instead of pointing them out and whining about them...Maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:04 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
And pointing finger/blame get them fed? Good luck improving your life by being less motivated.

Besides motivation isn't a right, neither is your success.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Gee golly, things are difficult, so let us give up and not try! Why didn't I think of that?!

200 year ago, those people would have starved to death. They are damn lucky to be alive in the time we are living in.

Maybe if they spent some of their time and energy FIXING some of the problems, instead of pointing them out and whining about them...Maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion.

What more can people do? They are more educated and knowledgable as ever

IF the good paying jobs aren't there.. They aren't there.

Young adults don't have any control over who hires them, who calls them for job interviews.. Creating job openings in companies. Those are things outside the job seekers control.

Mod cut.

There are MILLIONS of well educated, knowledgable, trained individuals out there. But not enough jobs to go around. As stated. Not their fault

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2016 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Generation bashing.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Because being college educated is not a pre-requisite for being successful

You keep referring to this like it is the only thing that matters. That you think because you have a degree, it makes you smarter than past generations that didn't have one.

Why would having a degree mean automatic success in your mind?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Because being college educated is not a pre-requisite for being successful

You keep referring to this like it is the only thing that matters. That you think because you have a degree, it makes you smarter than past generations that didn't have one.

Why would having a degree mean automatic success in your mind?

Nothing seems to be a pre-requisite for being successful today. Because the country is a mess. Its tough to be successful when there are very LIMITED Opportunities to be successful today compared to before. . And instead of fixing the mess its in on a macro-level, people are just pointing fingers. (Once again, How is it the milennials fault that its the previous generation for the mess this country is currently in?) America needs a complete overhaul of the status quo and both the federal level and and private level and everyone needs to be thrown to the curb. They are all part of the problem, not the solution

The only way for positive changes to be implemented is to get start kicking the trash to the curb from the top down. Common sense says you don't leave the people that got us into this mess to begin with around. You get rid of them.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:24 AM

Common sense says to keep people who made me successful in power... I feel like I am successful...

Let me give you a tip, being successful was not easier back than in your imaginary past where it was all fluffy and no hardships

Old 09-25-2016, 11:39 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
MLSFan is actually right. You have to put in the hard work that comes with a degree. I had to learn things the hard way but at least I'm not working in retail. I'm a TA for a non profit organization that helps special needs students and I'm looking for a better job. If I just stayed home and played the whole 'woe is me' route, I'd never get a job.

As millenials, we have to fight for what we want. There's no such thing as platters anymore.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:56 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
What more can people do? They are more educated and knowledgable as ever

IF the good paying jobs aren't there.. They aren't there.

Young adults don't have any control over who hires them, who calls them for job interviews.. Creating job openings in companies. Those are things outside the job seekers control.

[snip]

If America wasn't in the mess it is in currently (Not Created by the young adults mind you or milennials) young adults would be working full time and seeing the fruits of their labors.

There are MILLIONS of well educated, knowledgable, trained individuals out there. But not enough jobs to go around. As stated. Not their fault
I've never had any trouble finding work with just a HS diploma. Many of my friends didn't graduate college, and I have been able to find jobs for them. Not sure what all those so called highly educated people are doing wrong, but I have seen help wanted signs all around. Not glamorous or tremendously high paying jobs, but they are there. Still enough to save money, afford reasonable living accommodations, and do the things you like on your off time. It would probably suck to be making mid teens/hour while paying off debt, but no one forced anyone to take on debt. That's a free choice we make.

If there are more college grads than college grad level jobs, that's called a labor market mismatch. They should have never pushed for everyone to go to college, as I have said for many years. So ya, not surprised if this is the case. Blame your politicians and inept school counselors. I'm sure the push for "globalism" hasn't been helping much either.

It doesn't mean we all get to sit and play video games all day though. You have to make something of your life, unless you really are content being a loser.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-25-2016, 12:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
That says more about the quality of your friends more than the quality of the economy...

They are just as successful today as they were back in the 80s and 90s...
No, if they graduated today with those same degrees they would be working retail. No big Corp would be willing to hire them for these profressional jobs like they did back then. Only reason they are still successful today is because they now have the experience.

A lot has changed, there just isn't nearly as much opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment