Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 02:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
With the way the workplace is in the private sector today, playing video games sounds more fun. The workplace completely sucks today. Its soul draining and pretty much every place is completely mismanaged.

Work used to be an environment people didn't mind going into before
Get real.

The workplace has always sucked.

It's always been more fun to hang out and play video games.

The only difference now is that it's easier to get away with not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 02:56 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Love these "statistics" and stories and thrown out to the public probably being created by baby boomers. You know people who enjoyed a good workplace with many opportunities, less abuse, and better overall environment.

The workplace has changed since the "gravy days" of the boomers.
no they haven't, you just haven't learned to find them. Why? Because you are too busy complaining about how bad your life is. So enjoy it, i'll keep riding the gravy train

with the attitude you've shown, it wouldn't matter if you were back in the "old" days, no one would give you a good job back then either if you can't get one today

Old 09-24-2016, 03:13 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Get real.

The workplace has always sucked.

It's always been more fun to hang out and play video games.

The only difference now is that it's easier to get away with not working.

The workplace was better before. Back when you could be a high school graduate and support a family. You could jump into a high paying gig at a company making a TON of money right out of college.

The Days before, college graduates were forced to work at fast food joints for minimum wage

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2016 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Generation bashing.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:14 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
IMO, people who sit around playing video games all day are wasting their lives.
Sometimes, I feel like I am wasting my life away going to work. That's why I try to limit the OT. There has to be a balance between wasting your life away at work, and wasting your life away with hobbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I understand this phenomenon very well. I actually seek out part time work so I have more time for woodworking.
Woodworking is a skill. Hopefully, you have some quality work to show for your efforts. If that much can be said, I would hardly say you are wasting your life away on something trivial. You are taking a raw commodity, adding value, and producing something useful. At least, that is a best case scenario.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no they haven't, you just haven't learned to find them. Why? Because you are too busy complaining about how bad your life is. So enjoy it, i'll keep riding the gravy train

with the attitude you've shown, it wouldn't matter if you were back in the "old" days, no one would give you a good job back then either if you can't get one today

Found what?? A country with union destruction and less right for workers and laws passed so now "corporations are people" in which corporate execs have free reign of abuse, unscrupulous behavior, and ruining the lives of millions

"So enjoy it, i'll keep riding the gravy train"

Im sure you will

Old 09-24-2016, 03:25 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
I have a theory on this.

The yearn to be useful and accomplish something is instinctually strong, especially in men. They can't find a good job where they could achieve something, a video game could be a short term substitute.

The problem with that is what you achieve in the game is not real. It's just an illusion. Just like how drugs make you feel good at the moment but in reality your life still sucks.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:41 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
It's too bad these guys aren't spending their time improving the skills an employer will pay them for OR skills that would allow them to earn in other ways. I do not see how killing bad guys in "Call of Duty" is going to help them in the long run.

Their indulgent parents are setting them up to fail in life. What kind of person would let their adult child live at home and not insist they work?

Old 09-24-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It's too bad these guys aren't spending their time improving the skills an employer will pay them for OR skills that would allow them to earn in other ways. I do not see how killing bad guys in "Call of Duty" is going to help them in the long run.

Their indulgent parents are setting them up to fail in life. What kind of person would let their adult child live at home and not insist they work?

Skills don't automatically equate to employment or promotions or worth. Networking does.

There are millions unemployed or underemployed people out there qualified for a host of jobs and those jobs are either:

1. Paying peanuts because the employers know they call all the shots. More job seekers than job openings
2. Fake job postings that employers never fill because they would rather "tighten their belt" by operating on a skeleton crew

Old 09-24-2016, 04:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
The workplace was better before. Back when you could be a high school graduate and support a family. You could jump into a high paying gig at a company making a TON of money right out of college.

The Days before, college graduates were forced to work at fast food joints for minimum wage d
What a bunch of crap.

You're just mad that you can't just go to college and walk out with insta-job. You actually have to have a plan and a marketable skill.

High paying? What a laff. Many of my college buddies in the 90s didn't break $30-40k...as architects, accountants, etc. You know, actual hard degrees.

Mod cut.

Sorry, snowflake.

Btw, the number of people with college degrees has nearly tripled in recent years. You really think that hasn't watered down the degrees somewhat or saturated the market?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2016 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: Generation bashing; inappropriate language.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What a bunch of crap.

You're just mad that you can't just go to college and walk out with insta-job. You actually have to have a plan and a marketable skill.

High paying? What a laff. Many of my college buddies in the 90s didn't break $30-40k...as architects, accountants, etc. You know, actual hard degrees.

[snip]

Sorry, snowflake.

Btw, the number of people with college degrees has nearly tripled in recent years. You really think that hasn't watered down the degrees somewhat or saturated the market?

What about it is "crap" exactly? the FACTS are you could waltz into a higher paying job before with LESS education, experience before than you can now?

Everything was easier before requiring less effort. Mod cut.

Its got nothing to do with being lazy but less opportunities today. There are a host of well qualified, hard working individuals out there ( I mean you can't be LAZY and get a Bachelors or masters degree bud) that can't find a damn thing

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2016 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment