Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,190,927 times

Advertisements

No one wants to actually solve the root problems. It is easier to just blame the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 AM

5,951 posts, read 4,204,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
The government doesn't consider unemployment like you'd think. For instance, someone who tried for two years and gave up and played video games would NOT count as unemployed.
Everyone knows that's how unemployment is calculated. But the actual data don't support the idea that that is what's going on. Look at job creation numbers over the last few years as well as current income increases for every single economic bracket. Everything is up. The "unemployment doesn't count people who have given up" line is something people have been using since the great recessions as though it's a novel idea. That may have actually been true in 2008 or 2009, but it's not true today. By any actual measure, it's an employee's market.

Quote:
Furthermore, if for a job that used to pay $13-15/hr and now is only paying $9/10/hr, yeah, you might have a hard time finding people.
The data show that isn't happening very much. At least not nearly as much as the reverse is happening -- jobs that used to pay $9/10 are paying $13-15 because they can't find people.

Quote:
Most of the new growth is in part time and/or low wage jobs. The higher wage jobs have been stagnant for at least a decade (I know it's true for STEM anyway).
What's your source for this? That isn't backed up by the most recent economic report. All income brackets, including low, middle and upper, have gone up significantly.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:28 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
My kids favorite all time guy on the planet. My three youngest watch Joseph Garrett's Stampy Cat, MineCraft videos all the time. I have watched them as well and they are cool. He has millions of followers, not bad for someone that was just doing this for fun.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,298,126 times
This is nothing new. Back in the early '90s I had a friend who lost her job when a local factory shut down along with her boyfriend. She went right back to work, going through a series of temp jobs before she finally landed another permanent factory position; he stayed home playing Nintendo and smoking weed until his unemployment ran out. After that, he started working 2-3 nights a week for cash at a buddy's pizza place while still staying home during the day, playing Nintendo and smoking weed. Heck, she was working and paying the bills; as long as he had enough money coming in to buy grass and a new game once in awhile, what more did he need?

She finally dumped his lazy ass. I have no idea what he's doing now, but I'm sure he found a way to upgrade to a newer system.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:43 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
OP:

Can you blame them? Why do backbreaking work for minimum wage if you can avoid it?

Old 09-28-2016, 01:21 PM

22,032 posts, read 13,054,832 times
I suppose I would, too, if my every need and most of my wants were being supplied free by someone else -- in this case, parents or girlfriends, but this also applies to welfare. Where's the incentive to work? D'oh! Cut them off, and they'd probably be willing to work rather than starve, unless we've already reached the point (we may have) where the majority would rather steal and kill than work?

Old 09-28-2016, 02:01 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,572,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What a bunch of crap.

You're just mad that you can't just go to college and walk out with insta-job. You actually have to have a plan and a marketable skill.

High paying? What a laff. Many of my college buddies in the 90s didn't break $30-40k...as architects, accountants, etc. You know, actual hard degrees.

[snip]

Sorry, snowflake.

Btw, the number of people with college degrees has nearly tripled in recent years. You really think that hasn't watered down the degrees somewhat or saturated the market?
^^^ This.

Too many degrees being given out simply because someone is willing to take on student loan debt. They have said "we will extend debt to you in exchange for a license to work". It's basically a draw, is what it is. So, you got these years while you are studying or working toward a degree. you party, you go further into debt, and maybe, just maybe, you had the guts to churn through a difficult major, whether you are cut out for it or not.

That's it. that's the recipe. we will give you mountains of debt, and in exchange, you can "earn" a degree. but choose wisely. not every degree is worth the same repayment of that debt.

Bull&*$#

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 08:46 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,089,593 times
The US economy is far worse than 10 years ago. There are fewer good jobs available overall.
and its also true there are alot of useless degrees being earned

Old 09-29-2016, 04:03 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,608,960 times
I am wondering where do you get the money to support yourself playing video games the whole day?

Old 09-29-2016, 04:42 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,124,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I am wondering where do you get the money to support yourself playing video games the whole day?
They live with their parents. They don't pay for rent, food, or electric bill.

Last year, I visited my retired teacher. One of the best HS teachers I ever had. We talked for about an hour before his adult son came up from the basement and got something to drink from the frige. Then he went back down there without ever acknowledging my presence.

At the time I didn't know who it was. I looked puzzled at my teacher and he said yes that was Ben (not real name).

It was dinner time, so I invited he and his wife out to dinner and we could talk some more. They called down stairs to see if Ben wanted to go out to dinner. He said no.

While out, we talked some more. Ben after graduating college with an art degree never found a job. He spent all his time paying games in the basement. It was quite painful for me to listen to.

The thing about my old teacher was neither he nor his wife was a pusher. They give the son unconditional love. But...

The good news was that was last year. Recently, I hear he finally got a job at star bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment