Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 06:36 AM

35,097 posts, read 31,339,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
They live with their parents. They don't pay for rent, food, or electric bill.

Last year, I visited my retired teacher. One of the best HS teachers I ever had. We talked for about an hour before his adult son came up from the basement and got something to drink from the frige. Then he went back down there without ever acknowledging my presence.

At the time I didn't know who it was. I looked puzzled at my teacher and he said yes that was Ben (not real name).

It was dinner time, so I invited he and his wife out to dinner and we could talk some more. They called down stairs to see if Ben wanted to go out to dinner. He said no.

While out, we talked some more. Ben after graduating college with an art degree never found a job. He spent all his time paying games in the basement. It was quite painful for me to listen to.

The thing about my old teacher was neither he nor his wife was a pusher. They give the son unconditional love. But...

The good news was that was last year. Recently, I hear he finally got a job at star bucks.
I can see not being able to find a work or only very low paying work due to the economy, but after this persists for years and years you have to wonder when does it become the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 07:03 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I can see not being able to find a work or only very low paying work due to the economy, but after this persists for years and years you have to wonder when does it become the individual.
It has always been the employee... at no time have I ever heard of someone not being able to get a service job. All the bosses expect is people to show up on time, not be o drugs/drunk, and willing to work.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:16 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Future employers understand resumes that contain lower paying service jobs after college or HS. Years with zero employment not so much. Game playing couch surfers better hope their parents are hard workers with good jobs and have a willingness to support their lazy butts long term because getting a job, even a McJob, after years of nothing is tough.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
Even if these men had "useful" degrees, there aren't enough jobs to go around. There are more STEM graduates out there than STEM jobs.
there are more jobs than there are stem grads too... is there a reason a "stem" grad has to be stuck in a "stem" job? A job is what someone makes of it, stem or otherwise...

Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 AM

21,895 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I am wondering where do you get the money to support yourself playing video games the whole day?
Parents, girlfriends, or the government (or some combination). Why work?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:34 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
This was common back in my home town in rural PA where jobs were scarce. Many people were on cradle to grave welfare.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Which is why it should be WORKFARE. Everyone can do something, even if it's just picking up trash along the highway. Make them do *something* for it. Free handouts with no effort required are demoralizing for both the giver (taxpayer) and the recipients. Also unsustainable when we reach the point -- soon -- when more people are taking money out than putting money in.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Parents, girlfriends, or the government (or some combination). Why work?

Thankfully most parents and girlfriends have more sense than to allow someone to take advantage of them long term. The government is a whole other conversation.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:45 AM

Sadly, many parents and grandparents don't (have more sense than to do this). Adult children living at home is one thing, but parents "spending down" before the Medicaid lookback period by giving their adult kids their inheritence early (thus qualifying for free nursing home care themselves) is now another thing. And, of course, signing a Living Will so they don't linger too long running up medical bills. It's called estate planning. It's how all those 20-somethings on "House Hunters" can afford million dollar mansions. Most kids today grew up not even having chores -- instead, they played sports and got bogus trophies -- so work is a foreign concept for them.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
I have a question about these millennials just playing video games all day. As a hardworking Gen X-er I can't relate. I mean we played video games at arcades in the day and I've played my fair share of video games, I just can't understand the following:
1. Don't young men want to get out and explore the world? I wanted to just get out of my parents house. I wanted to see the world, do things...
2. How long do they plan to stay? Do they plan to stay until their parents die? Will they take care of their parents when they get old and have health problems?
3. What will they do to survive once their parents die?

You have to wonder if their short term approach to life is going to bite them in the butt later down the line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment