Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 01:05 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

I'm apply for a lateral move (same title) in a new organization in my company. The new org would give me better opportunities in the future and I really would enjoy the work. I told a few people because I wasn't really keeping it a secret or anything. I had a co-worker confront me. Well, it was awkward. Somewhere between a confrontation and playing it off like he was kidding but you know he wasn't.

He applied for the same position and is a few levels below this position now and he's upset that I'm applying as well. Saying I'm going to get the job and taking away his opportunity when it would be no more money for me immediately. I really was caught off guard so I just said something like it's no given that I'll get it and good luck and I'm applying because I want to be in the other org. He just walked away all annoyed looking.

Has anyone else every encountered something like this? Or would you be upset if you were in his shoes? I just don't get his anger/frustration. If it were me, I understand it's every man/woman for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 02:29 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Weird. I would probably just avoid talking about that sort of thing to random coworkers in the future. You just never know how people will react.

If you move, won't your current position open up? Maybe he can apply for that one.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
You learned a lesson the hard way. Next time, surely, you won't tell anyone unless it's required as part of the transfer rules(such as notifying your direct manager).

Good luck. That person can put in for YOUR job when you transfer.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:01 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Yeah I learned my lesson. Either way, this person would find out I interviewed for the position but at least it wouldn't have come from me.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:09 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm apply for a lateral move (same title) in a new organization in my company. The new org would give me better opportunities in the future and I really would enjoy the work. I told a few people because I wasn't really keeping it a secret or anything. I had a co-worker confront me. Well, it was awkward. Somewhere between a confrontation and playing it off like he was kidding but you know he wasn't.

He applied for the same position and is a few levels below this position now and he's upset that I'm applying as well. Saying I'm going to get the job and taking away his opportunity when it would be no more money for me immediately. I really was caught off guard so I just said something like it's no given that I'll get it and good luck and I'm applying because I want to be in the other org. He just walked away all annoyed looking.

Has anyone else every encountered something like this? Or would you be upset if you were in his shoes? I just don't get his anger/frustration. If it were me, I understand it's every man/woman for themselves.
This guy has no justification for being annoyed with you. First of all, it sounds like you didn't even know he was applying to the job. Regardless, should you be required to check in with him to make sure he's not interested in a job you'd want to go after? That's ridiculous.

I wouldn't feel guilty about this situation. It's a job posting and everyone has a right to apply.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:55 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
It's unfortunate that happened.

Where I am someone is supposed to be retiring at the end of the year. It's pretty much a done deal -- but-cha never know.

I've been one of the people filling in for him sometimes this year (vacations and such). And when people see me at his desk, a few have asked "Oh you're filling in for XXX. You think you might might that spot when he leaves?" I ALWAYS PLAY IT DOWN. I act like I have no interest what-so-ever. I poo-poo it as much as I can. When IN FACT, I've already talked to the boss about my interest in the gig -- telling him I DO want it. And every time I've filled in this year I've followed up letting him know what business contacts I made for the company while I filled in. The current guy is sort of just coasting.

It's actually a very sweet gig. But I sure as hell haven't told anyone else that. I've actually lied saying I have no interest in it. While behind the scenes actively lobbying for it. (Even told the current guy to put in a word for me) To everyone else not a peep.

OP, when you tell others of your interest, THEY may start to think:….."you know what?…that IS a sweet gig. I think I might want it too." So you've now drummed up your own competition. When you could have had open road, unopposed.

I USED to be more upfront with people and blabby about things. But then I realized none of them are telling me THEIR business. You look up someone is transferred or retires, and you didn't even know they were interested in that. From now on I'm not volunteering squat.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Lol. Yeah, I understand that guys' point of view...competition against those who may be more qualified stinks. I mean how is one supposed to grow when everyone else is a better choice?! Lol.

If this guy had half a brain, he'd be buttering you up for help with getting your job (if you do leave) rather than the bizarre thing that he decided to do. How dare you apply for something that you are more qualified for!

Best of luck OP.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:35 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Loose lips sink ships. Telling people does not benefit you. If anything, it may hurt you. The competition can start some rumors to weaken your position.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:17 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You learned a lesson the hard way. Next time, surely, you won't tell anyone unless it's required as part of the transfer rules(such as notifying your direct manager).

Good luck. That person can put in for YOUR job when you transfer.
This. I have recently been offered a lateral move in my company that is (I think) a very good career opportunity. I have been discussing it with my superiors, but I will not tell any co-workers if or until I decide to take the position. My boss and his boss actually knew that this other group wanted me before I did. But it is no one else's business until it becomes official. IF it becomes official. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment