Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 02:33 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,294,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
You're not asking for advice, you've just got your viewpoint and sticking with it regardless of what wiser people are telling you.
The OP needs to do retirement planning. For starters, go to social security online and have it estimate what you are going to get when you retire. Look at that number and ask yourself if you can actually live on that. The answer for the vast majority of people is going to be a big NO, which is why we invest in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,285,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
CAn anyone explain this to me?

My company sent out a letter that says-

"VNA will match 30% of the first 4% of the pre tax income that you contribute to the plan."

I know some people up thread said salary,but the sentence above for my company does not match that.

I am not a salaried worker but I am an hourly worker.
LOL

Ok in this case salary means the income that you earn, not your exemption status (hourly vs salaried).

What is confusing?

You make $100 before taxes.

The company will match 30% of $4 (which is 4 percent of your pre-tax income).

They will match $1.20.

You pay taxes on 96.00 instead of $100.00.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,698,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Unless you're that strapped for cash, it's a good idea to contribute enough to get the match. It's basically free money.
It's not always free money if you're not going to be there long enough to get the match (which sounds like five years in the OP's case after he joins the plan) and the fees are high relative to what you put in. If you are going to be somewhere for a year, don't make that much money, and have a pre-tax 401k with a relatively high fee, using that money for a low/no-fee Roth with a place like Vanguard might be a better option.

For example, I had people join the pension plan at my work, which you can't get for 6 years, then they left before they were there for 6. Most people I know who left were *very close* to vesting but not quite there yet. They could have joined an investment plan that vested after 1 year and bought into a pension if they'd stayed for 6 years, so they gave all that "free money" the employer would have put into their retirement for 5-6 years (some years there was no employee contribution- so there is not even that to show for it). That's 5 years down the tubes where all they get back is what they put into a pension.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:07 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
And I've had co-workers argue with me saying stupid stuff like, "Why in the world would you want to lock up money until you are aged 70?". My favorite stupid comment is, "I will worry about retirement when its time for me to retire".
Probably because most people feel that retirement is something way in the future. But eating and living is right now

Not my philosophy because I have my personal savings account building

Old 09-29-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
That job years ago where you participated in the 401k. I'm wondering if you withdrew and spent that 401k money.
Yes I did. It was a nice chunk of money. I was only able to get it because I was laid off after 6 years

Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
That job years ago where you participated in the 401k. I'm wondering if you withdrew and spent that 401k money.
Yeah I spent it, I wasn't much of a saver in those days but after all the crisis I been through I am a serious saver

Old 09-29-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
So you've missed out on contributing to your 401(k) for 12 years? Oh, man, you seriously need to contribute to it now and perhaps the max allowed. Have you even done any retirement planning? Because you might be in for a real shock when it comes time to retire.
I'm older now and understand the importance of saving after experiencing numerous layoffs and my.apt building being sold and having to move

Old 09-29-2016, 07:06 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,296,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Stable first, pay second
That doesn't answer my question. There are plenty of stable jobs with rock-solid companies that pay well. Why not look for one of them?

Unless you're saying that you work in a stable and prefer to stay with that kind of work. If that's the case, then you definitely aren't going to be making much money.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 AM

633 posts, read 582,967 times
I have a seven figure 401K. I always contributed even when dead broke. I rather skip eating and buying soap then not give in at least enough to get the match.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:57 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,549,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
I have a seven figure 401K. I always contributed even when dead broke. I rather skip eating and buying soap then not give in at least enough to get the match.
Well done. Also aided by the tremendous stick market run up the last 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment