Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times

Advertisements

I'm not a monday person and always been taking mondays off in the fall and winter. I took two mondays off in September and requested another one the last Monday of October. Then I get a call from my supervisor saying my day maybe denied since I have a pattern of requesting mondays off. Huh? I thought a pattern only matters if you call out sick every other monday. So I requested to speak to HR and eventually I was told that was a rule by the old boss and I can now request any day off I want as long as I have the time.

I was about to explode because that had to be one of the stupidest rule I ever heard on a job concerning vacation days. plus I'm a person who never calls out sick and always on time and was going to be told I can't request days off even if I have the time? I been at this job for almost 3 years and this is the first time I ever been upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Are you in a service environment or something? Does this mean somebody else has to work more Mondays to compensate for you?

If not, then this is really stupid. It's this kind of arbitrary bs that really irritates me.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Are you in a service environment or something? Does this mean somebody else has to work more Mondays to compensate for you?

If not, then this is really stupid. It's this kind of arbitrary bs that really irritates me.
Yes im in the service environment but I have a backup. Well I'm glad they straighten it out because I was going to be headed out the door.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I think you should watch more TV and Sports, guy!

Old 10-17-2016, 10:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
It seems really weird to me that you are stuck on this not calling in sick on Mondays or Fridays, but don't see anything strange about taking 3 Mondays off in one month.

Take a hint. Monday is a work day. No one loves Mondays. We show up anyway.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It seems really weird to me that you are stuck on this not calling in sick on Mondays or Fridays, but don't see anything strange about taking 3 Mondays off in one month.

Take a hint. Monday is a work day. No one loves Mondays. We show up anyway.
If I have the time then what is the issue? I'm a person who likes 3 day weekends. It was 2 mondays in September and 1 in October.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:57 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
If I have the time then what is the issue? I'm a person who likes 3 day weekends. It was 2 mondays in September and 1 in October.
Some of your co-workers may want to take PTO on a Monday but can't because you're always doing it. That could be the issue, and if it becomes a problem, they could reinstate that rule or at least place a limit on how many Mondays/Fridays you take off.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Some of your co-workers may want to take PTO on a Monday but can't because you're always doing it. That could be the issue, and if it becomes a problem, they could reinstate that rule or at least place a limit on how many Mondays/Fridays you take off.
Well I make sure I request it in a enough time so it will be approved. Like with the 31st, I requested on 10/14 Instead of 10/24

Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 AM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
And your boss is someone who likes being fully staffed and having people who work the 5 day week.

Ball's in your court.

You actually had three 3 day weekends in September.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
I'm a supervisor in a service environment, and I have a guy who like his Mondays off as well. If his request is denied, then he calls in sick. Not much I can do with that one as he's union and has the time. I can refuse a request if I think it will put our service team in a bad spot trying to cover his load. When he calls in, his coworkers get upset far more than I do; they now have to pull his share in addition to their own, and having to work late on a Monday night sucks when it happens often.

A day here or there isn't bad, and we all have had times when we want a three day weekend. But taking it off all time is noticed by both management and coworkers, and it can lead to serious problems down the road. When my boss asks who's reliable and ready to move into a larger role in the company, the guy who can't seem to find his way to work on Monday isn't typically going to be at the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment