Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:25 PM

724 posts, read 533,095 times

Advertisements

Wow. I knew this administration would really try to ramp up underpriced labor, but this proposal is so much more.

Well, when my business is done being robbed blind, maybe I’ll just claim I can’t find qualified help and hire cheap immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 09:55 PM

35,163 posts, read 31,461,326 times
I profoundly disagree.

The H-1Bs are generally not your top-tier talent. They're indentured servants. While I disagree that they are often paid less than citizens, they're held hostage while waiting for the green card, working in conditions a lot of citizens could take a hike over.

My first "real job" five years ago was originally held by an H-1B guy. He was competent and sponsored for the role. Fine. After I came on, we hired five more Americans. There was no talent gap to sponsor the H-1B guy in the first place, even though he was perfectly fine as an individual in the role.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I profoundly disagree.

The H-1Bs are generally not your top-tier talent. They're indentured servants. While I disagree that they are often paid less than citizens, they're held hostage while waiting for the green card, working in conditions a lot of citizens could take a hike over.

My first "real job" five years ago was originally held by an H-1B guy. He was competent and sponsored for the role. Fine. After I came on, we hired five more Americans. There was no talent gap to sponsor the H-1B guy in the first place, even though he was perfectly fine as an individual in the role.
We actually agreed for the most part. I forgot a little bit of sarcasm font.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:28 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,244,917 times
Link to the proposal?

I remember Trump running on the "anti-H1B" platform and in the beginning he actually increased restrictions on that program. The cronies wanting cheap labor were whining like babies.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,799,409 times
I'd like a cite for this as well. Is it some kind of firm plan, some committee or drone suggestion, or something completely misread?

ETA: I can't find any mention of this increase, including in recent articles talking about changes to the program that involve raising fees and setting up adjunct programs to train US workers.

Last edited by Quietude; 05-17-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM

13,144 posts, read 21,091,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'd like a cite for this as well. Is it some kind of firm plan, some committee or drone suggestion, or something completely misread?

ETA: I can't find any mention of this increase, including in recent articles talking about changes to the program that involve raising fees and setting up adjunct programs to train US workers.
Probably because there is no 5X increase in H1B visa. It's the H2B Visas being increased. This was the big bruhaha last year when hotels, restaurants and other seasonal business had problems with getting enough seasonal help. It's not even an increase but returning to the processing practices that will enable current guest worker visas to reapply expeditiously instead of starting over from scratch every year.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:55 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,799,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Probably because there is no 5X increase in H1B visa. It's the H2B Visas being increased. This was the big bruhaha last year when hotels, restaurants and other seasonal business had problems with getting enough seasonal help. It's not even an increase but returning to the processing practices that will enable current guest worker visas to reapply expeditiously instead of starting over from scratch every year.
Cue the OP for an Emily Litella impersonation.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:59 PM

13,144 posts, read 21,091,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Cue the OP for an Emily Litella impersonation.
Truthfully, I'm not 100% sure that is what the OP is talking about, it's just the only thing that recently has to do with foreign worker visas and figures that support a 500% increase in applicant processing. It's possible the OP heard it from Roseanne Roseannadanna the reporter on Weekend Update

Old 05-17-2019, 05:28 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,141,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Wow. I knew this administration would really try to ramp up underpriced labor, but this proposal is so much more.

Well, when my business is done being robbed blind, maybe I’ll just claim I can’t find qualified help and hire cheap immigrants.
You are mixing up H1B visa with H2B visa. They nearly doubled the number of visas, not 5x.

https://www.inc.com/cameron-albert-d...ry-hurdle.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inc
The White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs has cleared a plan to issue 30,000 extra seasonal H-2B visas in the coming months, according to the Wall Street Journal. The move, which would raise the total number of Summer 2019 visas for temporary foreign workers from 33,000 to 63,000, was first announced last month by the U.S. Departments of Homeland Security and Labor.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Truthfully, I'm not 100% sure that is what the OP is talking about, it's just the only thing that recently has to do with foreign worker visas and figures that support a 500% increase in applicant processing. It's possible the OP heard it from Roseanne Roseannadanna the reporter on Weekend Update
Quite the opposite, all snide bull**** aside. It was from the clown in chief.

Please actually read the proposal. Remember. I said PROPOSED, while morons on the thread look for actuals. It was in his speech Tuesday night.

Here’s the press release https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...america-first/

Which is complete horse****. Boundless Immigration took a crack at estimating the impact and they project that Skilled labor immigration visas will expand 5X current levels, filling the “family visa” void.

Maybe y’all should read some
Stuff that’s not on the Internet from time to time - might have avoided this situation to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment