Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No I'd line up another job and the last week when there is an incident I'd resign on the spot and send a letter to HR with your documented list of incidents leading up to it.
Exactly. I would make a big scene over the incident and march out. You have already talked to HR. After leaving send them a letter saying with no help from them you just could not stand it any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 11:09 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I never gave a 2 week notice and it never hampered my getting a job in the future.

Even if you gave a 2 week notice, I doubt the place you're at would give you a glowing recommendation in the future anyway.
I've never given two weeks notice either. You can just lie to new employers and say you did. I've just said when it comes up "I gave my notice and due to (Pick something that was really going on, say down too many employees), they felt I left at a bad time". It only effects you if you trying to file for unemployment or something like that. Even then, it really doesn't. (That's another case as you have a new job anyway.)

Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 AM

10 posts, read 28,961 times
I am leaning towards not giving notice. It has been a stressful 1 to 2 months and every weekend I dread going back. My boss tries to scare me almost every day by playing games like calling me into her office like if she is going to fire me but asks some dumb question instead. I don't need her as a reference nor was I planning on asking either.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:16 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
always

Old 10-23-2016, 04:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelOfLight View Post
I am leaning towards not giving notice. It has been a stressful 1 to 2 months and every weekend I dread going back. My boss tries to scare me almost every day by playing games like calling me into her office like if she is going to fire me but asks some dumb question instead. I don't need her as a reference nor was I planning on asking either.
You do not owe that "boss" and her group of brown nosers anything.

Document everything, go hand it to H.R. along with stating that those are the reasons that you are verbally giving your immediate resignation. And go have a happy life. Their loss.

Good luck at your new job. Keep us posted.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:23 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Don't give notice....Quit. And tell H.R. why, just like you wrote here, the threats the actions....in fact I'd put it in writing and deliver it to the H.R. I wouldn't stay two more weeks when co-workers are making threats. I might even call the DOL Dept. of Labor and send them a copy. https://www.dol.gov/

Good luck on your new job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No I'd line up another job and the last week when there is an incident I'd resign on the spot and send a letter to HR with your documented list of incidents leading up to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicaOnTheHudson View Post
Your supervisor and co-workers have created a hostile work environment. Under those circumstances, in my opinion, you have no obligation to give them notice.

Cut your losses and move on to greener pastures.
I agree with the above quoted posts. Get out! They could make it even more difficult. Generally, the bad employers like that get a reputation and other employers "understand".

I would serve them the notice of my resignation and get clear of the place!

Good luck at your new job!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:42 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I would probably give notice and I would also tell HR once again about the bullying and that is why you are leaving. Most HR departments take this sort of thing seriously especially if it is the cause of people wanting to leave.

Is there anyone else you can report this to? Someone higher up than HR? is the bullying serious enough that you could file a lawsuit together with the other employee? I'm not one for frivolous lawsuits but if HR ignored the problem perhaps a lawsuit would wake them up to the situation.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:22 AM

599 posts, read 693,442 times
Make sure to file a EEOC complaint about them retaliating against you and threatening to beat you up

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would probably give notice and I would also tell HR once again about the bullying and that is why you are leaving. Most HR departments take this sort of thing seriously especially if it is the cause of people wanting to leave.

Is there anyone else you can report this to? Someone higher up than HR? is the bullying serious enough that you could file a lawsuit together with the other employee? I'm not one for frivolous lawsuits but if HR ignored the problem perhaps a lawsuit would wake them up to the situation.
Honestly, most places don't care. I used to think office/work bullying was just people being sensitive as I've always held my own and not really cared what others thought of me. As I noticed a systematic abuse, I thought how wrong I was. In reality, HR and higher ups sometimes sick the office bully on people they want to push out. Notice these bully types who always have an excuse, like it's just a joke, never do it to the bosses. Anyway, if you feel you're being harassed (as you have to state for legal action) you always go to your immediate boss. When nothing is done you start documenting and start going back as far as you can remember. Then go to a lawyer. Usually, what happens after that, as it happened in my case, another incident happens and you get the lawyer to contact your company with a certified letter. Most of the time, things will stop after that.If you don't, it's back to documenting and possibly a lawsuit.

My point is this if you feel you're being bullied, seek legal aide. You have rights and don't deserve the mistreatment. It will continue if your job things you're stupid to your rights.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:21 AM

57 posts, read 70,178 times
yep, almost every place I ever gave 2 weeks notice too, had me leave the building right then, they do not want to risk you getting hurt in the next two weeks and filing a lawsuit.
Liability issues have basically ruined the 2 week notice deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment