Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 973 times

Advertisements

If you are currently able to work from home at your job and are applying for a new job, how many days would you ask for during negotiations?

I have already decided to ask for those days during negotiation. I am a relatively senior exec and some of my team will be out of state. My boss and some laterals will be in my office. All of my direct reports will be out of state. Due to my tenure outside this company, I believe I have already proven success while being able to work from home so I do not plan to go the path of "earning it."

Citydata, how many days would you ask for during negotiations? Would you worry that a certain number of days would offend someone? Do you think a certain amount is very reasonable/unreasonable in your own personal experience (since all situations vary.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I certainly would not bring this up at all until a formal offer has been made to you. Once you have their offer, that's the time to negotiate for perks such as working remotely. You are stating that your plan is to negotiate for this during initial talks, which I think could likely disqualify you if someone on their staff is anti-telecommute (which many people still are).

If you get the offer in writing, talk to the HR person and simply tell them you'd accept contingent upon allowing you to continue to work from home for X days per week. Initially I wouldn't shoot for the moon and ask for all 5 days. Consider stating something like "Upon settling into my role, I would like to have the ability to work remotely from home after I've attained the necessary skills and level of comfort in my role."

Old 10-27-2016, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I certainly would not bring this up at all until a formal offer has been made to you. Once you have their offer, that's the time to negotiate for perks such as working remotely. You are stating that your plan is to negotiate for this during initial talks, which I think could likely disqualify you if someone on their staff is anti-telecommute (which many people still are).

If you get the offer in writing, talk to the HR person and simply tell them you'd accept contingent upon allowing you to continue to work from home for X days per week. Initially I wouldn't shoot for the moon and ask for all 5 days. Consider stating something like "Upon settling into my role, I would like to have the ability to work remotely from home after I've attained the necessary skills and level of comfort in my role."
Thank you for your response. The time I will negotiate is during negotiations which is when an offer is received and a counter offer is given (by me.) As opposed to asking 6 months or 1 year into a role when some people may think is the "right time."

It sounds to me like your personal opinion is anything under 5 days, correct? I appreciate your input.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:08 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I can't answer that question for you. I don't know what your commute will be, do you have kids that need picked up from school, etc. etc. If the place is right around the corner from your home I would start with a few days per week. If it's a 90 minute drive one way through Hellish traffic then I'd push for more. Be sure and state your reasons why and it should start with the fact that you feel like you would get more work done from home given your team's location.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:47 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Just simply ask during the interview at the point where they ask you to ask them questions, "What is your company's work at home policy?"

Florida2014, has the better answer IMHO. I do think it may be better to negotiate working from home after you are extended an offer.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:09 PM

289 posts, read 608,382 times
I work in IT industry, here are my observations-
1. Some people can be very productive when they work from home, other hardly do anything even when they are in the office. So, in the commute to work Vs work from home debate, I fell that it all depends on the person.
2. How many days should one work from home/ commute to work- it depends on the company culture or specific department culture. If a lot of folks in your group (your immediate subordinated/ superiors) work remotely, you will be OK. On the other hand, if everyone in your group commutes to office, you are better off going to work as much as possible, especially if you want to grow your career in that company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment