Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 01:31 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Which law is that? You can ask anyone, anything (other than the protected class questions), including asking questions to make sure you should actually interview a candidate. That doesn't mean the questions will be answered.
The "law" of semantics, then...good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 02:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Unless your current job is in jeopardy why are you planning on leaving?
The OP indicated that the business may not be viable.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:10 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,568 times
Quote:
Which law is that? You can ask anyone, anything (other than the protected class questions), including asking questions to make sure you should actually interview a candidate. That doesn't mean the questions will be answered.
That law may be something like -- Information Practices Act of 1977 (federal), or, depending on your state, CA Civil Code 1798.

Section 1798.24 lists circumstances under which personnel or personal information may be accessed, including written consent of the individual / employee.

Eevee17 - in prior post #4, may be very correct.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:28 PM

98 posts, read 145,548 times
You had two contract roles; you're fine. You just need to outline them on your resume correctly.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:35 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Do you indicate that the first two are contracts on your resume? If they were defined term assigmnets many people will not hold those two against you because you would have had no choice to leave those.
Otherwise yea that is alot of job hopping. I would keep at it.
Yup. Hopefully you indicated they were temp assignments, not salaried permanent positions. After that, you only had one job-hop, and it was to a much better-paying job, so IMO that indicates you're valued and increased your value. You got a permanent job (no one can blame you for that), then realized you could do better. I don't see a problem, unless someone assumes you'll always be looking ahead to see what better offers might be out there. You could pre-emptively address that concern in a cover letter, if you think that could be an obstacle.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:42 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,306 times
It depends on what you do for a living. I have hit a problem finding a new job but It's more because I moved up from one salary level to a higher one in my industry the lower one has most of the employees the one I'm in does not so every job has lots of applicants trying to move up. Makes it that much harder.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:58 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,807 times
Quote:
It won't be answered then. You won't get an answer about the employees you're not interviewing. Anyway, no one is going to call four jobs and say "I'm calling in reference to Mr/s Jones. Also, can you tell me if Mr/s Smith also works there?". Sometimes, you have to lie to get a job. Jobs lie in recruiting and in their descriptions. Honestly, it's not a lie. Money is the ultimate boss. OP followed their boss from job to job and the current one is going under.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:29 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
It won't be answered then. You won't get an answer about the employees you're not interviewing. Anyway, no one is going to call four jobs and say "I'm calling in reference to Mr/s Jones. Also, can you tell me if Mr/s Smith also works there?". Sometimes, you have to lie to get a job. Jobs lie in recruiting and in their descriptions. Honestly, it's not a lie. Money is the ultimate boss. OP followed their boss from job to job and the current one is going under.
If someone fed me a line of **** like that I'd want to know who their boss was and why they were so special. I would also contact the boss and ask them about all of the obviously good things they had to say about their loyal hanger on.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:54 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Since when do you put salary on a resume? Unless the OP filled out an application stating their salary along with submitting the resume the potential employer would not know how much they are currently making. Find someone to fix your resume. That could be the problem! Make sure the contract jobs say contract so the employer understands why you have job hopped so much.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacedWithKerosene View Post
Long-story-short, in less than 2 years I did the following job hops

$17/hr contract -> $20/hr contract -> $60k/yr salaried -> $82k/yr salaried

and had no plans to leave my current job until I realized it was unstable (company went public, started reorganizing, downsizing, my division is in the crosshairs).

I started applying for other jobs, but am getting no responses, I'm sure because they see that I've job-hopped too much. It kinda sucks because I feel like success in the modern economy requires lots of job hopping to reach the top of the ladder if you're not able to start out on the top of it.
Have you considered that you may have hopped past your skill set and reasonable salary for someone with your skill set?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment