Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,296 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My mom needs help (i.e., a new job). She is 56 years old and works as a member services representative for a public pension system. To put it lightly, her job is totally wearing her down. She is forced to work overtime and has been fairly stagnant in the organization for over 20 years. To make matters worse, a cascade of personal events has led her into a fairly severe depression for the better half of the last decade. She can't retire yet given her financial situation, but cannot fathom another 8-10 years of this lifestyle. She lives where the weather sucks and there is nothing to do. She has minimal friends and family left. She needs a fresh start, badly.

Thing is, she could totally crush it. She is incredibly kind-hearted, good with people (when not depressed), and LOYAL. There HAS to be a decent paying job ($50k+) with health insurance (a necessity for her) in a warm climate where she can live a balanced life and figure out how to be happy again, right?

I have no idea if posting this on a random forum will accomplish anything... I'm really just looking for ideas. I can help her with her cover letter and resume. But I'm not quite sure where to start the job search besides via random searches online.

I really appreciate any of your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 07:01 PM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Better safe than sorry, she should stay where she it at. She will face age discrimination and being "stagnant" for 20 years doesn't look good to anyone.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:52 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Your Mom should update her resume and apply for jobs. You could help her with that part, right? She would definitely need to secure a job offer before moving. It would be a tall order and change for her.

I don't see anything much in customer-service related paying 50K or more except in high cost areas.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:39 PM

440 posts, read 549,789 times
I went through with my Mother and while there is a lot variables - its a difficult process... Not awful but depending on your Mother's motivation and willingness can be hard process ( especially if she is depressed)

Your location will be a MAJOR factor .... Her connections : professional & personal : will be her greatest asset. That age bracket has a lot of connections with mid to high level management, through family , friends, and their own professional career. Someones Sister's Husband Nephew is the head of HR at ____________ company.... Etc..

Please feel free to message me for any assistance support - can send you my email. My mom was " let go" after 35 years at a company , got another job , old company acquir the new job's company , lost job again .. ( in 5 years ) .. Been through this process can be frustrating but not impossible

Old 11-06-2016, 02:06 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
Is this your idea or your mom's?

The only way she's going to break out of her current situation is to have the motivation to do it herself. If she doesn't want to make a change, nothing you can do on your own will help. If she's depressed, has she talked to her doctor about a psychiatry or psychology referral or trying a low dose of medication to help her mood? If she doesn't get control of her depression, everything is going to be hard, and doing anything new will probably seem impossible to her.

Once she addresses her depression and decides she wants a change, then you can help her figure out what to do, where to go, how to make herself interesting to a potential employer, etc. She needs to address the depression first.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,296 times
Thank you all for the replies and support.

To answer your questions:
Yes, I can help with her resume and cover letter.

It's my idea, but with total agreement from my mom. I understand the need to address the depression before trying to get a job. The problem is that she goes to therapy and has been on numerous antidepressants with subpar results. Yes, there is a chemical imbalance in her brain that needs to be addressed. But, there are also a few other major aspects of her life that have fallen apart (recent divorce/loneliness, getting scammed for a large sum of money, overworked at her job, stomach problems that has made it difficult to eat well [that likely stem from her depression], problems with my teenage sister, hating where she lives, her mom dying, her dad getting very old, etc.). So, I am trying to focus on what is in her control, which is her job.

My theory is that if she can address the job, she can turn things around. I'm just worried this is going to have a bad end if she continues like this.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:54 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Only thing I can help with is warm climate - Houston.

It is a thriving city with plenty of friendly folks.

Cost of living is low compared to other large cities but the cost is rising.

Maybe check out the city website for jobs with the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment