Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 08:38 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,188 times

Advertisements

Hi,

When I was a child, I had big dreams and lofty goals. Even now, I often daydream about becoming a zookeeper, a famous writer and traveler, a model, and perhaps a private teacher with her own tutoring service. The problem, though, is I'm thirty years old, and these are still just dreams. Now, I went to school and got a couple of degrees, but it's still not that easy to find regular entertaining work. I majored in Education, but I work in a detention center, and I often find myself on the receiving end of reprimands, and I have been threatened with termination. I'm wondering if it's time to move on or if I should try to keep this until I find something better? I know it's not a good idea to quit with nothing lined up, and substitute teaching actually pays less than the job I have, but I need to do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 09:01 PM

901 posts, read 747,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hi,

When I was a child, I had big dreams and lofty goals. Even now, I often daydream about becoming a zookeeper, a famous writer and traveler, a model, and perhaps a private teacher with her own tutoring service. The problem, though, is I'm thirty years old, and these are still just dreams. Now, I went to school and got a couple of degrees, but it's still not that easy to find regular entertaining work. I majored in Education, but I work in a detention center, and I often find myself on the receiving end of reprimands, and I have been threatened with termination. I'm wondering if it's time to move on or if I should try to keep this until I find something better? I know it's not a good idea to quit with nothing lined up, and substitute teaching actually pays less than the job I have, but I need to do something.
Work is called work for a reason..........it is not supposed to entertain you.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,256,177 times
IMHO the problem is not that you are "unemployable" (although someone who daydreams instead of working may have difficulty finding a job) but that you don't really know what you want and, therefore, no plan how to achieve any goal or dream.

Get "Think and grow rich" from a library and see if it helps you to understand the problem. Note that this book also helps those who don't necessarily want to be rich. It helped me tremendously and I'm not rich but quite comfortable in all aspects.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2016, 09:48 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,145,152 times
Quote:
Hi,

So will your two degrees help you achieve these dreams or not?
If not, why not?

Old 11-06-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So will your two degrees help you achieve these dreams or not?
If not, why not?
I don't know. I really do not know.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:14 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
Quote:
Hi,

If you are getting a lot of reprimands, then what are you doing to incur them and what's stopping you from NOT doing that?

Oh, corrections usually will pay very good as it's a nice high paying job that people (In quite a few cases) don't want to have to do.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:42 AM

Well, the point is, of course I don't want to get fired. I'm already kind of unhappy that I'm working here only making about 20K per year, because I have a master's in Education, and all I could find was a job working with troubled youth. I'm grateful for it, but if i get fired, that's another nail in my coffin; it will be more difficult for me to find teaching jobs. At this point, I'm wondering if I just shouldn't quit.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:52 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,119,740 times
Quote:
Hi,

Ive posted before about the clear evidence that finding work which has a license is a huge edge against just what you are talking about. For years like yourself, I struggled to find job stability being bright and emotionally giving. Long story short I went back to school and obtained an R.N. license. Now after 25 years I have been fulfilled and enjoy my work. I also enjoy having abundant options. Nurse Educators are sought after in many areas, the rewards are very good and one works with bright confidant and outgoing people. Why not make a long term choice rather than short term and unsatisfactory outcomes?

Old 11-06-2016, 04:53 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,119,740 times
Quote:
Well, the point is, of course I don't want to get fired. I'm already kind of unhappy that I'm working here only making about 20K per year, because I have a master's in Education, and all I could find was a job working with troubled youth. I'm grateful for it, but if i get fired, that's another nail in my coffin; it will be more difficult for me to find teaching jobs. At this point, I'm wondering if I just shouldn't quit.
Put an RN after that M.A. and your salary will quadruple.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Ive posted before about the clear evidence that finding work which has a license is a huge edge against just what you are talking about. For years like yourself, I struggled to find job stability being bright and emotionally giving. Long story short I went back to school and obtained an R.N. license. Now after 25 years I have been fulfilled and enjoy my work. I also enjoy having abundant options. Nurse Educators are sought after in many areas, the rewards are very good and one works with bright confidant and outgoing people. Why not make a long term choice rather than short term and unsatisfactory outcomes?
I would love to, but I don't have time. I'm not trying to make excuses, but the programs I've encountered are day programs and won't fit my schedule. I currently work two jobs, one part-time and the other full-time, and the programs require an 8 hour per day commitment. I checked for grants with Career Services, and they said I wasn't eligible because I already earned a master's degree...sigh.

Now, I've encountered some online programs, but I doubt they're any good. Then, there's the money issue. I haven't been able to save any money lately. I'm pretty sure I spent most of it on repairing my car. One thing is for sure, I need to do something. I wonder if taking out a private loan for continued education would be a good idea? I'm maxed out on my federal loan allotment; I owe a little more than I borrowed because of unpaid interest. My grand total, including interest, is about $120,000. The biggest of those are FFELP, or whatever the abbreviation is, loans, which are private loans backed by federal money. Yeah, my minimum monthly payment is something like $200 per month, I think, even on an IBR plan. My standard rate is like $1200 per month, which to put it in perspective, I only make about $!600 per month on my current job. I'm so fed up with owing money and not being able to go back to school, though, that I wonder if I shouldn't look for a better second job and start throwing everything else I'm making at this loan. I feel pretty unfulfilled with a $120,000 debt hanging over my head.

Last edited by krmb; 11-06-2016 at 05:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment