Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 10:17 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Great suggestions everyone. Long term career wise, training field is where I want to be. Working remotely gives me a chance to visit family more often which is also important to me. Job #1 would provide the most reward intrinsically because I really enjoy working with teachers. But not sure i want to be in education forever. I'm leaning toward #2 at this point. You all are awesome. Will send update soon.
Here is a curve ball nobody mentioned. The first thing I saw when you were describing jobs is having to connect with people more with #1. With training you only have your students for a week or two and you don't need to be too personal, while being in Education management I would imagine you need to be able to work with people, get to know them, figure out the quirks. Some people thrive on this, some just hate it. Would you miss this part in job #2?

Personally, I'm working remotely 2-3 days a week, while going to the office 2-3 days (depends on a week). This is the best balance for me, but in your case, it's not just about commuting vs working remotely, the jobs are, indeed, very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 12:52 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Job #2.
I have worked from home for 30 years and I love it! BUT, if you are not disciplined it likely won't work for you.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:52 PM

48 posts, read 86,171 times
TWO for sure

Old 11-13-2016, 10:36 PM

505 posts, read 584,345 times
I'd vote for job #2. You mentioned working with teachers, so I'm not sure if that includes students and the public school system? Because if it is, YUCK! I used to work in education and never want to go back. PS, if you're willing to share - what degrees did you obtain to get such prosperous job offers? Lucky you!

Old 11-14-2016, 09:04 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Two!!! I would love to have that job!!!

Come back and report how it went - whichever you choose ...

Where/how did you find job #2? I am looking for a work at home job, too, but I am not as tech savvy ...

Old 11-15-2016, 07:28 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Where/how did you find job #2? I am looking for a work at home job, too, but I am not as tech savvy ...
Lots of companies in the Bay Area hire remote employees. I've seen lots of remote jobs in the training and customer engagement fields.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:32 PM

505 posts, read 584,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Lots of companies in the Bay Area hire remote employees. I've seen lots of remote jobs in the training and customer engagement fields.
Any specific degree requirements or experience?

Old 11-15-2016, 02:41 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,660 times
Job#2

I worked from home for nearly a year and it was sublime. There's no substitute for not having to commute into a job that you may not even really like.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
Any specific degree requirements or experience?
Experience as an instructor, teacher or trainer seem to be among the list of requirements

The more technology experience the better (software, programming)

Experience developing education content (user guides, product overviews, etc) was also on the top of the list.

Lots of money to be made for those that have a training/education background mixed with technical skills.

Just about every major tech company is looking for these type of individuals.

Corporate training is also another area that could have opportunities for those with less technical skillset.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:32 AM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
I have worked from home for the last 3+ years for a very large coorporation and while it does get boring, the amount of time I have avaiable due to not commuting is so valuable. I also get to take my 1st grader to and from school everyday which is a bonus.

If I were in that situation, I'd take job #2. it pays more and it sounds like something you're more interested in doing and more stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment