Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:43 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,386 times

Advertisements

So it seems the consensus is that larger companies don't typically care about age compared to startups. I'm glad to hear these, since it reassures my beliefs that tech blogs have lied to me for the most part. Thank you all for your input, keep it up!

Location plays a huge part. So far aside from CA is that WA, UT, CO, and TX have plentiful work available. I failed the first time as a web developer because I wanted to focus on work in AZ, but you can't find work when there are none to be found unless you want to live in Phoenix(inferno), AZ and those jobs paid pretty lousy. Thought I wasn't cut out for programming (and to my credit there was no where NEAR the amount of free lessons and guides ten years ago) now, everything is starting to click and no longer feel intimidated seeing all those lines of code because now I'm starting to understand the why's and how's these languages function with one another. And coming from a design background this will help me immensely as a web developer.

I'm using Odin Project, which sets you up to learn Linux (for Ruby on Rails) and works alongside CodeAcademy (another free coding lesson site) with a very plentiful amount of lessons and tests. I needed a direction to start and once I finish that I'll start with FreeCodeCamp. I have GitHub set up already and will get some webspace soon. Going to find a second machine to run Linux on and just use that for all my work if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 11:21 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
So it seems the consensus is that larger companies don't typically care about age compared to startups.
Unfortunately that's not true at all. If there were 2 job applicants who have equal skills and experience and are both applying at Google or Facebook for a level-1 software engineering role, and one of them is 21 years old and the other is 35 years old, which do you think is more likely to get interviewed? I would estimate that the young buck is more likely to get interviewed, by a factor of at least 100x.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:11 AM

684 posts, read 714,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Unfortunately that's not true at all. If there were 2 job applicants who have equal skills and experience and are both applying at Google or Facebook for a level-1 software engineering role, and one of them is 21 years old and the other is 35 years old, which do you think is more likely to get interviewed? I would estimate that the young buck is more likely to get interviewed, by a factor of at least 100x.
Sounds odd, a 21 year old and a 35 year old applying for the same job....

In Software programming it's called check your logic !

Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 AM

684 posts, read 714,040 times
Quote:
So it seems the consensus is that larger companies don't typically care about age compared to startups. I'm glad to hear these, since it reassures my beliefs that tech blogs have lied to me for the most part. Thank you all for your input, keep it up!

Location plays a huge part. So far aside from CA is that WA, UT, CO, and TX have plentiful work available. I failed the first time as a web developer because I wanted to focus on work in AZ, but you can't find work when there are none to be found unless you want to live in Phoenix(inferno), AZ and those jobs paid pretty lousy. Thought I wasn't cut out for programming (and to my credit there was no where NEAR the amount of free lessons and guides ten years ago) now, everything is starting to click and no longer feel intimidated seeing all those lines of code because now I'm starting to understand the why's and how's these languages function with one another. And coming from a design background this will help me immensely as a web developer.

I'm using Odin Project, which sets you up to learn Linux (for Ruby on Rails) and works alongside CodeAcademy (another free coding lesson site) with a very plentiful amount of lessons and tests. I needed a direction to start and once I finish that I'll start with FreeCodeCamp. I have GitHub set up already and will get some webspace soon. Going to find a second machine to run Linux on and just use that for all my work if I can.
Profiling, everything is a factor. I have a person who is close to retirement age, will company hire this person for a position that requiters allot of training ? It's 2 different markets, a 55 year old is just looking for a quiet place to work till retirement, a young person is looking for experience and training...

These conversations never go away, always the same.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
There are thousands of Indians that can code a variety of languages here on H1B visa, I'm surprised people here even thought of competing with H1Bs. Most people I know in the industry already converted to project managers to work on managing these H1Bs. This is very common at large cities and jobsites where 80% of developers are Indians and only about 10% are Americans and 10% are managers that doesn't know coding.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:17 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There are thousands of Indians that can code a variety of languages here on H1B visa, I'm surprised people here even thought of competing with H1Bs. Most people I know in the industry already converted to project managers to work on managing these H1Bs. This is very common at large cities and jobsites where 80% of developers are Indians and only about 10% are Americans and 10% are managers that doesn't know coding.
Thanks to the "global economy" push and greed of corporations I'm not surprised, work in IT and comp sci has been severely damaged in CA with even experienced coders finding themselves out of work. Though there is a catch to the visas as it's not always guaranteed citizenship, it's a work visa and it can mean you have to pretty much stick with that company until they decide to keep you. It's been a huge hassle for computer related jobs in Cali, which could explain how more companies have started popping up in other states which still are open to American workers. Large corps can "afford" H1-Bs at the expense of taxpayers.

As for the age thing, I have been talking to some people who work various careers as front end, back end, and full stack developers while doing my course work, a couple guys who started with new jobs in their 40's. (One dude just started his career in Houston, TX of all places) and they're just taking courses as means to stay up to date. Most of the age discrimination talk while it's not all bunk, much of it has been parroted for years (going back to tech blogs and echo chambers in Silicon Valley). Regardless of age you need to have a strong willingness to learn and adapt, write clean code, communicate well, and be productive. If you can do that, you'll be a cut above many. There are companies would actually prefer to hire qualified workers, and not go full Bill Gates and hire overseas to save a few bucks. Age discrimination is against the law anyway.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:53 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,699 times
Quote:
Unfortunately that's not true at all. If there were 2 job applicants who have equal skills and experience and are both applying at Google or Facebook for a level-1 software engineering role, and one of them is 21 years old and the other is 35 years old, which do you think is more likely to get interviewed?
The young buck if he isn't African American or Hispanic. These tech giants are known to discriminate against minorities, but because they donate to the DNC they get away with it. Jessie Jackson was paid off so he no longer pings them.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:
Thanks to the "global economy" push and greed of corporations I'm not surprised, work in IT and comp sci has been severely damaged in CA with even experienced coders finding themselves out of work. Though there is a catch to the visas as it's not always guaranteed citizenship, it's a work visa and it can mean you have to pretty much stick with that company until they decide to keep you. It's been a huge hassle for computer related jobs in Cali, which could explain how more companies have started popping up in other states which still are open to American workers. Large corps can "afford" H1-Bs at the expense of taxpayers.

As for the age thing, I have been talking to some people who work various careers as front end, back end, and full stack developers while doing my course work, a couple guys who started with new jobs in their 40's. (One dude just started his career in Houston, TX of all places) and they're just taking courses as means to stay up to date. Most of the age discrimination talk while it's not all bunk, much of it has been parroted for years (going back to tech blogs and echo chambers in Silicon Valley). Regardless of age you need to have a strong willingness to learn and adapt, write clean code, communicate well, and be productive. If you can do that, you'll be a cut above many. There are companies would actually prefer to hire qualified workers, and not go full Bill Gates and hire overseas to save a few bucks. Age discrimination is against the law anyway.
Don't be too surprised at Houston. It's hot, humid, and has bad traffic, but it also has more Fortune 500 companies than another US city not named NYC. The Houston economy was far more stable than most of the US during the recent recession and also during the 2010 housing crisis.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:24 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
This is a common misconception among people who aren't in the technology field. They think that just because it has the digit "5" and comes after HTML 4.0, the "5" means version "5.0". The irony is that the whole purpose of HTML5 is to get away from versioning. I can tell that KonaldDuth is not in the field... and that's more supported by using wikipedia for a source (which actually isn't supporting).

I would have to go on and express how important it is to realize that HTML5, while coming after HTML 4.0, is NOT HTML 5.0.
Thanks... that's what I was trying to say. I don't think I said it as well as you did.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:28 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's obvious that you're not in the technology field. Or perhaps you were in it 15 years ago, as your advice aligns with that time period.

Sure, PHP is helpful to know, but not as helpful as modern web technologies when you're someone entering the field.
You have been mislead, and yes I work in the tech field.

The part that you don't realize is that not all companies use the hottest and the newest languages. Plenty of companies prefer something else like Ruby or they have legacy software that needs new features and to be maintained. So even though it is considered old, there are still a lot of jobs that want it.

You are even more wrong with PHP. My own company use PHP for their linux server, and has zero plans to change that, and so do a lot of other companies. Not learning basic PHP as a web developer is a massive mistake.

Quote:
The OP mentioned the web development field, specifically, which is why I suggested the ONLY programming language that web browsers understand. Yes, I agree with you that there are other languages used in companies. However, learning how to program on mainframes or client-server applications with Java is similar to learning how to use a typewriter. It might have some value, but is very limited.
No, learning Java is like a math teacher learning physics. As I said, most companies have some kind of system apart from their website. For instance most Android apps are made in Java and iOS apps are made in Swift. Most backends these days are made in .NET. and Java.

The website is not what makes them money, their application is what makes them money. You can just learn web development, but the big bucks will come when you know how to make applications. Since he already knows Java, he should learn more. There are a lot of Java jobs out there, and even if Java died in 10 years, which I don't think will happen, then his experience can be used somewhere else.

Quote:
Again, while these things can be helpful, it's not something a beginner can learn from day one and it's not what a beginner needs to get started.

HTML: I mentioned this.
CSS/SASS/LESS: All CSS, which I mentioned.
JavaScript: the most important... and I mentioned this.
JQuery: It helps because there's a lot of legacy applications out there... but not worth investing a lot of time in given that it's extremely old and outdated
Bootstrap/Foundation: Not worth it in 2016.
Node: It's JavaScript, which I already mentioned.
PHP: Similar to JQuery. Lot's of it out there, but outdated.
MySQL: similar to JQuery
Python: not for web at this point.
Ruby: It's 2016, enough said.
Angular: It's 2016, enough said. React has been around for YEARS and totally replaced Angular.
Only people who just finished their CS degree, can get a good job with only knowing a few languages, because employers believe they have great potential. For other people, you will need to convince the employer that you know what you are doing, and that will not be the case if you just list HTML, CSS and javascript on your CV, "everyone" knows that.

And no, you didn't mention Node, because that is not how it works. If you list javascript on your CV, then no employer expect you to know Node. I should have listed react, but according to indeed there are just as many angular jobs, and it is growing. Hardly being replaced.

That it is 2016 is not a real argument. You can't just learn what is popular in 2016, then what about software from 2015? The mistake you do is to look at a few top companies who use the hottest and newest languages, and forgetting that there are many companies who prefer something else or use legacy software, In fact, you can even get jobs with C++, and that was made in 1983.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment