Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should I deliver the dirt on Mr. X to Mr. Y?
Yes Mr. X deserves it; give him a taste of his own medicine. 34 47.22%
No this is not a good idea (explain why in comments below). 38 52.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 04:30 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

Don't do it out of revenge...do it because you want to work for a company that tries to conduct business ethically.

It doesn't sound like the ethics of your Mr. Xs actions trouble you at all. You might want to adjust your paradigm before you proceed.

But IMHO, you should proceed. I despise injustice in every form and rarely get a genuine chance to fight it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 05:02 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Once you enter into office politics like this, you are making a choice. You are a player in the office game. Think "Game of thrones" but in a office setting.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:28 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I have a boss whom I'll call Mr. X, and everyone here agrees that he's horrible. Even a long-time mgmt. suck-up who works with me agrees that Mr. X is a disaster. Mr. X seems to get an orgasm out of reprimanding and firing employees, whether they are good or bad.
Okay, so according to you "everyone agrees" Mr. X is horrible and a disaster; yet Mr. X is still employed there. Consider why that is.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:40 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Should I do this?
Backstabbing is the essence of company politics. You're on your way to the top.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:56 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
This is your job, not your life. Repeat as necessary.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:18 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Go for it! Just remember that Karma thing. What you send out will come back to you.

Been nice working with you.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So, you would have equally no problem if one of your co-workers snitches to your boss about something you did that gets you canned? If you would have no problem with your company or a co-worker taking action against you based on some anonymous yet truthful information they had on you (say being late, swiping a stapler, made personal calls, pretending to be sick to get a day off, padding an expense account.....), if that's fine with you, I say go ahead.

Thanks everyone for all serious replies such as this one. I will rep all serious and helpful replies. The 'get a life,' 'you watch too many movies' etc. I regard as useless prattle.

The weasel-like nature of my plan is what gives me the most reservations. Yet Mr. X does deserve something like this because he routinely does it to his own people (he did it to Mr. Y once). The question is, am I willing to stoop to his level. I still haven't really decided.

One interesting note is that this situation has made me realize the truth of the old saying that 'revenge is a dish best served cold.' When Mr. X has perpetrated one of his backstabs is when I am motivated to carry out mine. But I have held off so that I can rationally weigh all sides.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
It's funny to me you think it'll all work out fine for you when TSHTF.

You're not really acting in the company's interest, you're just fooling around with the man you dislike?

If it's information you'd normally come across and be involved with, then I can understand but if you sleuthed this out for the purpose of screwing over your boss, it's maybe a bad idea.

If you're wiling to lose your own job for a thrill, go for it.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The way you put it, it sounds like a slam-dunk. Why not just do it?

Personally, if the company had a fraud hotline, I would call it instead. You might also call the company's auditor, if it has one.
Thanks, they do have a hotline of this type, but my method would both better guarantee results (Mr. Y is more motivated to take action than the hotline people would likely be) and would also better ensure my anonymity.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Don't do it out of revenge...do it because you want to work for a company that tries to conduct business ethically.

It doesn't sound like the ethics of your Mr. Xs actions trouble you at all. You might want to adjust your paradigm before you proceed.

But IMHO, you should proceed. I despise injustice in every form and rarely get a genuine chance to fight it.
Yes this is my point. It's not that I personally dislike Mr. X, as some have suggested. It's that get tired of seeing him acting duplicitously, and screwing over co-workers in the process. This is essentially a taste of his own medicine, albeit in his case, he uses trumped up allegations, while in mine I am just putting factual info into the hands of someone who will act on it (Mr. Y). In my case, the only duplicity would be that I would withhold my identity, and my role in the scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment