Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should I deliver the dirt on Mr. X to Mr. Y?
Yes Mr. X deserves it; give him a taste of his own medicine. 34 47.22%
No this is not a good idea (explain why in comments below). 38 52.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 09:11 AM

35,204 posts, read 17,114,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
'Karma' is over-rated. Plenty of [expletives] go on being [expletives] and nothing bad ever happens to them. Plenty of good people get crapped on at every turn and it seems that if it weren't for 'bad' luck they'd have no luck at all. 'Karma' is the irrational fear that if you do something bad, 'somebody' is gonna getcha...well, without somebody like the OP to deliver it, 'karma' might not ever touch someone like 'Mr. X'.
I agree that karma is overrated but it does happen. In this case the possibility of karma doesn't change my lawyerly (though not formal legal) advice not to undertake actions that are foolish, tortious and/or possibly otherwise actionable. Needlessly stirring the pot against a supervisor is almost always a bad idea.

As far as karma, two stories.

First story - Kenneth; In this case, a kid named Kenneth in my high school.the 1972-3 bully became the 1996 bankrupt.

Kenneth called my parents at roughly 3:00 a.m. during February or March 1972 and said "your son is palsied." There was another similar call about that time as well. About ten months later, on January 4, 1973 when Kenneth heard me telling one of my friends that my Dad was in dire condition, dire enogh that my friend and I were discussing pulling the plug (he was dying of terminal cancer) and might not last the night he said "served him right for smoking." My friend pulled me off his back. In 2001 I saw the order of discharge in bankruptcy relating to his 1996 Chapter 13 filing in the Bankruptcy Court's signed order box. Karma strikes once.

Second story - A child named Charlie had been causing trouble all school year in 9th grade, Academic Year 1971-2. On a day when not everyone was at school because exams were under way, we were in the weather center. I was looking at charts of Tropical Storm Agnes swirling its way up the East Coast. Charlie said "touch me and I'll puke all over you." Interested in this novel threat, I proceeded to try to shake his hand. Instead of the threatened stream of vomit, he pulls out a bicycle chain and starts to whirl it around. I ran down two flights of stairs and finally succeeded in barricading myself outside two double doors. When school authorities arrived, he told them, falsely, that I had just sank my teeth into a dog just outside. Result, my parents were asked to remove me to another school for 10th grade. I refused my parents' efforts to comply.

The next fall, on the first day, Charlie pulls a tall stool out from under me in the weather center. Instead of telling school authorities my father calls his father that afternoon. I don't know what he said to his father but I never heard from Charlie again.

Fast forward to the 40th Reunion in October 2015. There was a video montage of students who had died over the years. Charlie was one of them. I'll admit that I applauded softly. I know that doesn't make me look good but the guy deserved it, unfortunately. I heard he died of drug abuse.

Karma strikes again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I've delivered a bit of 'karma' to people who deserved it and might otherwise never have got it, and it's very satisfying...especially when they get enough 'karma' on them to put them behind bars.
How does one deliver karma without committing a tort or crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 10:51 AM

6,826 posts, read 10,542,009 times
Ask yourself this - which is the moral high ground - that you conceal this information or take no action, or that you reveal this information? Keep your feelings about Mr. X completely out of it and answer based on the information itself. Answer that and you'll know what to do.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Ask yourself this - which is the moral high ground - that you conceal this information or take no action, or that you reveal this information? Keep your feelings about Mr. X completely out of it and answer based on the information itself. Answer that and you'll know what to do.
If that is the motive you'd do that through channels and not surreptitiously. Still I think it is a bad idea.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM

1,104 posts, read 921,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I suggest you get a life.
Couldn't put it better. The only alternative would be if you were being harassed badly and/or there was something in it for you. What happens if your boss AND you get fired. And what happens if Mr. Y isn't much of a nice guy either.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:24 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

In 2004, my wife began to notice the books weren't lining up correctly and quietly began looking into why. She found a bunch of fake invoices from a company they didn't do business with (and didn't exist according to public record) that her manager approved for payment and quietly passed that along to the CEO advising that she thought there should be an investigation. There eventually was, and the investigation determined that the same HR manager, her accounting manager, and the security officer (HR lady's boyfriend) were creating fake invoices for a fake company and running them through accounting to get paid. The Acct manager handled those invoices herself to keep it covered up until she was on vacation and they came through to my wife. They schemed tens of thousands of dollars from the company before they were caught.

This is the reason why many employers, banks included, REQUIRE people who process payments to take vacations.

Back in the day, when I worked for DOL, an employer was audited for compliance with the compensation provisions of a Federal contract. The Compliance Officer, as is customary, proceeded to interview employees who worked on the contract He couldn't find several of them notwithstanding the fact that the payroll records showed them working full time. It turned out that the Payroll Manager had created fictional employees and was cashing their paychecks. That Manager was convicted of defrauding the government and was sent to prison.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:14 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,590,285 times
I would report it to your ethics compliance line personally. Forget involving someone else, just report it anonymously (with proof) and move on.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:35 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,401,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Should I do this?
No

Old 12-20-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
This is the reason why many employers, banks included, REQUIRE people who process payments to take vacations.
I think this might have changed but back in 1989 I dated a bank employee. She had to take two-week vacations. She explained the purpose was to ensure that fraud would be detected.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:59 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,922,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yes this is my point. It's not that I personally dislike Mr. X, as some have suggested. It's that get tired of seeing him acting duplicitously, and screwing over co-workers in the process. This is essentially a taste of his own medicine, albeit in his case, he uses trumped up allegations, while in mine I am just putting factual info into the hands of someone who will act on it (Mr. Y). In my case, the only duplicity would be that I would withhold my identity, and my role in the scheme.
Yes, it's completely about Mr. X. NOT to be a hero for the company. Even this post confirms it while you deny it.

Nothing wrong with that but you should own it, IMO. Because if you get fired, you're going to have to be really CLEAR about your original motives or for the rest of your life, you'll say they didn't "appreciate" what you did for them yada yada.

I think if it were strictly for the company's best interests you would have made that case by NOW.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:54 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,879,047 times
What goes around comes around so if X is really that bad then I say go for it. Angry, insensitive, power hungry people always get what's coming to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment