Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
8 hours in the office plus 4.5 hours commuting? And that's on a day where you don't have any fires to put out involving longer than 8 hours in the office.

Sounds pretty bad to me.
100% agree. Maybe that commute 2x a week would be ok. But daily sounds like torture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:20 PM

227 posts, read 258,263 times
Don't do it. Really don't do it. I took on a 4 hr daily commute to finish my degree. While there I also took on a part time job near campus as I had to commute in for classes anyway. I was okay for the first year, the second year it started to get tough. After I graduated I agreed to stay on an additional 5 months because I wasn't relocating until this summer. I've got 6 more weeks to go - I'm leaving the job 6 weeks before we're moving because I've got to get things done to our house and pack - and I've constantly wished I'd just left upon graduation.

I love the people, but that 4 hour commute is making me crazy. Unless you know you'll be telecommuting at least half of the time, you will grow to hate and resent the long hours spent traveling back and forth.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:47 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
I don't understand why you would have to tell a potential employer negative reasons you are leaving your current job. Isn't the answer always for professional growth and a better career opportunity?
Thank you! It's negative reason, focused on what you want to get away from instead of what you want to move on to.

I'd never even mention commute in an interview, as an answer such as the OP's post.
IMO, it falls into the -- uh, wrong answer category. Maybe to the absolute worst case, but I'd say it's a missed opportunity to stay position. The interviewer doesn't give a crap about your commute.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:16 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I've always thought saying you're leaving the job because of a long commute was a valid reason to give on interviews. Recently, someone told me that sounds lazy. What do you think?
Change your response to "I am looking for a position closer to home". You don't have to say you are leaving "because" of the long commute. You frame it as "it would be great to be close to work".

Old 02-22-2017, 04:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
I think people really are understanding. I just had a coworker quit because he was commuting to a job two counties away. I don't know how that's lazy to actually want to apply to a job in your own county (which he got). It's one thing if you are talking about commutes that really don't seem objectively that long, but particularly in a field that is known for longer hours, actually living close by means you are going to have more time you can devote to the job. If you have to drive an hour to 90 minutes one way, something is going to have to give. You're not going to be able to come in on the weekend or to do last-minute projects, while being 5-10 minutes away is a different story.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 AM

326 posts, read 200,804 times
When my office moved an additional quarter mile away,it doubled my commute time!
There were 2 stop lights in that quarter mile.So 10 minutes instead of 5 .
A co worker commuted 1 .5 hours each way, and it reduced her commute by 5 minutes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment