Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 03:27 PM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Looking at this from a social worker perspective here....is she getting her deceased husband's SSI benefits? Is she beneficiary to his benefits? It sounds like she needs someone to help her navigate and keep things straight. Regarding housing, are their any low cost/affordable housing options in your area? Call the United Way (211 in most states) and ask for housing resources. Section 8 is very hard to get into....but get on that list ASAP. Also the Council of Governments has dedicated case managers to assist with these types of things. Just search the city you live in and council for governments. The department that assists is most likely "department of aging" or something to that effect. She is a CNA...has she considered training for an LVN license? I don't know much of the difference but agree with many of the posters that she needs more training. The CNAs I know are overworked and aren't getting very far ahead.
SSI is disability benefits for impoverished disabled recipients. It does not pass from one spouse to another. And from what the OP has posted the husband made good money while he was alive so he wouldn't have qualified for SSI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 03:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
2sleepy do you reside in California?
yes, I live in the Sacramento area

Old 01-12-2017, 03:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
SSI is disability benefits for impoverished disabled recipients. It does not pass from one spouse to another. And from what the OP has posted the husband made good money while he was alive so he wouldn't have qualified for SSI.
I think the poster probably meant SSDI. She can't qualify for SSDI on anyone's earnings but her own. SSI is a program for the disabled or elderly who don't have social security earnings and can't qualify for SSDI, the monthly payment is around $700 and it is subject to means testing so you lose some or all of it if you have other income

Old 01-12-2017, 04:00 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The linkedin job posting is almost 4 months old.
That's clearly just an example of a typical job posting you will find throughout the US on Craigslist

I am sure the OP's friend doesn't just happen to live in Sacramento anyhow

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 01-12-2017 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 04:04 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yes, I live in the Sacramento area
Oh Ok so you probably live within a few hours from me.

Howdy Neighbor lol

Old 01-12-2017, 05:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Bankruptcy. Sorry but it's the action to take that makes the most sense right now, it appears. The system is designed to only work for the upper middle class and everyone else below to depend on it. She needs to learn how to make the system work for her. File bankruptcy and get a clean financial slate and start over and lead a sustainable lifestyle on $11.50 an hour. Sucks I know. The united corporations of America you can thank for this wonderful system.
My thoughts as well.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
She is about 50. She is not dead. People are living a lot longer than in the past.

It was mentioned that she had health issues. My first thought is that she needs to stop thinking about what she can not do and focus on what she can do. She more than likely needs to get in better health. She probably needs to eat better as well.

Was it mentioned if she smokes at all?

In any event she should focus on getting her health up. Work out or at least walk a lot, change her diet, ect. If she smokes stop doing that.

Bills are not going away at this point. I would call the creditors and fill them in on her position. I don't see a way to pay all that off. Problem is she already had a BK. If she has no assets to take then she can not pay the bills off. It was mentioned that she had a home. Is that now gone? If she has it can it be sold and pay off the debt? Sound like the home is a memory any way.

She has to start building goals that she can achieve. Right her dreams down and see about building a new life. Financial problems are temporary. They should not define who a person is.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think the poster probably meant SSDI. She can't qualify for SSDI on anyone's earnings but her own. SSI is a program for the disabled or elderly who don't have social security earnings and can't qualify for SSDI, the monthly payment is around $700 and it is subject to means testing so you lose some or all of it if you have other income
No. This is what I was talking about:

https://www.thebalance.com/who-is-el...enefit-2388916

But it turns out she has to be 60 to get the benefits. However, just for clarification that's what I was talking about; I know the difference between SSI and SSDI very well.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:57 PM

251 posts, read 236,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
This lady deserves to ...."LIVE A MIDDLE CLASS LIFE "..

"DESERVES " ?

Based on what ?

I feel society owes the destitute a shelter at night and food to avoid starvation.
No one.........."DESERV ES".....to live a middle class life unless they have the money to do so.
I can't afford to live a "middle class life " but I don't want friends of mine going on the internet claiming I........"DESERVE "...it.

I think my point was that her like so many work hard, full time jobs and live in poverty and if you work you should not be in poverty UNLESS YOU SPEND OVER YOUR NEEDS...

I have a good friend who is a EMT.......he is saving lives and drives the ambulance, he makes 13 a hour
he went to school and raised a family and gets very low wages........... we work to provide and live and to do so and have poverty wages is not fair........

Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 PM

251 posts, read 236,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
She is about 50. She is not dead. People are living a lot longer than in the past.

It was mentioned that she had health issues. My first thought is that she needs to stop thinking about what she can not do and focus on what she can do. She more than likely needs to get in better health. She probably needs to eat better as well.

Was it mentioned if she smokes at all?

In any event she should focus on getting her health up. Work out or at least walk a lot, change her diet, ect. If she smokes stop doing that.

Bills are not going away at this point. I would call the creditors and fill them in on her position. I don't see a way to pay all that off. Problem is she already had a BK. If she has no assets to take then she can not pay the bills off. It was mentioned that she had a home. Is that now gone? If she has it can it be sold and pay off the debt? Sound like the home is a memory any way.

She has to start building goals that she can achieve. Right her dreams down and see about building a new life. Financial problems are temporary. They should not define who a person is.
great post. Thank you!!!

and she does not smoke and she has dinner here with us often and she is health conscious so thats all good.She is actually a bright positive person that works hard she just made some poor financial choices in the past including no life insurance she knows better now, but the hole she is in for now is making things so tough.... this is why we decided to get her a car that hopefully wont cost hundreds all the time to fix....

her house is long gone... repossessed.............

she wants to be a a RN............... good for her.. the problem is though, she has a immediate need that we cannot figure out how to solve and thats housing............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment