Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM

115 posts, read 98,750 times

Advertisements

I am interested to hear pro/cons for those who worked in both a small and large companies within the same field.

I am curious in what size company you liked working for and why?
What perk's, benefits or culture change you loved\hated the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 05:18 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,786,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
Definitely like working for a big company.

The health benefits are better for less. When I worked in a small company health benefits were $400 a month, I pay half that now, with better coverage.

The training budget is larger too, working in a small company, you be lucky to get them to spend 3k on you for training. This year the big place I work for spent around 25k for training and travel on me.

More opportunity, there's always new positions opening elsewhere in the company, and as an employee I get first shot at any openings.

The pays better too, not to mention profit sharing, pension, stock options and bonuses. I have a 401k, but the small companies I worked for also had 401k's.

Management is more supportive of IT as well.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:00 PM

676 posts, read 726,450 times
Large corporation is the way to go if you already have your experience. Better everything at the large corp. More hands on micro managing at the small company which is fine if your inexperienced.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:07 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Starting pay is better in large companies. HOWEVER, raises are better in small companies where there aren't set policies for basic percent increase, like in large companies. Basically, small companies have more flexibility to do merit raises, large companies do not.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 PM

432 posts, read 343,471 times
A question to help clarify this thread. How many people work at a large company and does this vary from industry to industry?

Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,630 times
I went from working IT at a big box retailer to a local mom and pop retailer and the stress is less for me. Took a small pay cut, but stress was causing my health to go down fast. From my POV. Working for bigger corps, you got the pay and benifits, and the stress that comes with it. Time demands your attention on projects that are mis-judged on how long it takes, they dont care, they want it done before the time they set. A whole lot of donkey kissing going on too, see who can get in the closet with the boss and get that promotion Great for gaining some experience in the field and looks good on my resume, but i get that look when i apply for jobs, why did you leave xxxxx? simple fact was stress. Company wanted more out of me than what i can produce in a small window time frame.

Now im working for a smaller company that has family first logic. If i need time off for my son scouts, i can do it with pay and no questions ask. They are big on family events to a extent of as long as it doesn't affect your job performance and cause the company great deal of financial lost. I got great co-workers that love to just visit and work as a team instead of ME attitudes. Boss that lets you do your thing, ask how long it will take to get the job that is assigned done, and walks away. He will hold you to your time frame that YOU give him, but beyond any delays in shipping or vendor issues, i been pretty much on my mark and beat my own time frame. Rattling on here. but to me working for smaller companies has the advantage of being family orientated, vs big companies only care about their bottom dollar and your just a number in the file box.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:38 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,489,070 times
There's no comparison. Large corporations are definitely better. Bigger salary, generous bonuses, excellent profit-sharing plans, better benefits, more room for advancement, wider variety of people to learn from, training & mentoring programs for younger employees.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 PM

808 posts, read 542,904 times
It depends upon what you'll be doing. I entered the work force as a low-level peon, and working for a big corporation was a PITA. I hated it. I switched to a small company, and really liked it because I got a chance to do many different things, the company was growing - I got some great experience that I never would have gotten as a receptionst/clerk/filer in Big Company Inc. However, later on in my career, I went to work for Boeing, a humungous company, that had great in-house training. I got some good skills that led to work at mroe than double what Boeing was paying, and I was on my way after that.

So, if you are on a management-trainee track in a big company, go for it. If you don't mind doing the same thing for months or years at a time, and like the perks, a big company will probably be best.

But if you are at the bottom, get whatever job you can, and if you see you're going nowhere fast in a big company, look around for opportunities that can get you a better job, or quit and go to work for a small, growing company with opportunities to grow.

By the way, politics is a problem at both big and small companies, it's just that it's more obvious that your boss is a knucklehead in a small company.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 PM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
I am interested to hear pro/cons for those who worked in both a small and large companies within the same field.

I enjoy working for a smaller organization because it's stable and offers annual cola raises. I enjoyed working for larger companies because of the higher salary but it was unstable which led to layoffs.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:59 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
There's no comparison. Large corporations are definitely better. Bigger salary, generous bonuses, excellent profit-sharing plans, better benefits, more room for advancement, wider variety of people to learn from, training & mentoring programs for younger employees.
If your lucky enough to get a bonus or a pink slip. The 4 years i worked at my big well known business company, only benefit we got was half donky insurance and a xmas turkey dinner. Its common knowledge that the upper management such as VP, CFO, and other butt kissers get the better benefits than their mail clerk. So not all big business is good for anybody, just those that know how to kiss and play their games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment