Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:08 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: This post pertains to professional corporate office work, as circumstances would differ for something more service or shift oriented.

Seems to be the trend I've noticed across a few different companies now, and I personally find it terribly frustrating. You earn your PTO, then you're hardly ever allowed to use. I've often found it better to not say I want a day off until the morning of and then lie that I'm dreadfully sick, and even then you get chewed out for it. Regardless, it's been better than trying to be responsible and say a couple days in advance, "hey boss, I'm not feeling well this week, or I have some plans that day, or I need to catch up on some errands, etc - and I want to take a PTO day tomorrow or later this week? What a ****ty work culture we have here in America.... but I doubt it will ever change as long as some greedy money bag sits at the top of the chain in corporate america.

In my current company, the only paid time off we earn is accrued PTO (no sick days or paid holidays here), and management wants you to request PTO off a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. This does not work for me. I may be the black sheep because I often take days off in a less traditional manner, as I don't really vacation and I don't like taking many days off in a row because I usually get bored at home after 2-3 days off. Instead, I usually find it most ideal to take just 1 day off per month as a mental health/refresher day and it does wonders for me. I already work long hours in a job I don't particularly like, that one day is a godsend to me. The problem is, I don't know when that day is going to be every month. Usually it's just whenever I'm starting to feel burned out, and I'm responsible enough to not take it on a day when I know I'll have a busy workday. We are professional adults after all, we can be self aware of our schedules for god's sake.

So I say I'm going to take a PTO day. All hell breaks loose. Mistake 1, apparently not asking for the PTO day and instead making it a statement. This is a power thing for management and nothing else. Unless you're being an ******* and trying to call off on a very busy day, it's just management trying to exert dominance in the situation. Honestly though, I have problems with this. If you tell me I can't take the PTO day, I'm going to take it anyway, so let's cut the bull**** and not do this little dominance question thing and get to the point. Like I said, we both know that day is not a busy day.

Then mistake 2, not scheduling it in advance. Sorry I didn't know 2 weeks ago that this week I would already work 45 hours in 4 days and want the Friday off because I was able to finish up my workload in those 4 days. Sorry, I can't predict the future. It's just absolutely ridiculous.

I'll wrap up here... just had a situation like this at work and ranting about it. Too much bull**** we put up with in this corporate world. God help us all. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Every office type job I have had requires some advance notice of a week or more and is usually 2 weeks or more. Some bosses are more lenient but it's always been a few weeks.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:23 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Any place DH has worked required at least two weeks notice... and it has been that way for decades (so, nothing new).

Old 01-12-2017, 11:28 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Every office type job I have had requires some advance notice of a week or more and is usually 2 weeks or more. Some bosses are more lenient but it's always been a few weeks.

Same here.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I think part of your problem goes back to the expectations of working salary. Historically, salaried roles had more schedule flexibility. If you had a busy day/week, then you could work less than the standard eight hours on slower periods. You might be able to work 50 one week and 30 the next week.

These days, the norm seems to be to work 40 hours, minimum, and any additional hours are simply unpaid overtime, with no flex time, flat rate bonus, or anything offered.

If you have a minimum hours quota, meet that, then went to take a slow Friday off or something, I don't see how that's technically a PTO request. Some companies will have core hours, maybe 10-3, where if staff are in the office during those hours, they can adjust the rest. Someone may work 6-3 and another 9-6.

If I need a day off, I try to give at least a week's lead time, but sometimes something comes up sooner. You do the best you can do under the circumstances.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Ugh, my problem is that my first career had work cultures that were super flexible and the company just trusted people to do what needed to be done to complete the project. You were trusted to work late if you needed to, and to freely take time off if your schedule allowed.

Now in more traditional corporate America... that doesn't go over well!

Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Ugh, my problem is that my first career had work cultures that were super flexible and the company just trusted people to do what needed to be done to complete the project. You were trusted to work late if you needed to, and to freely take time off if your schedule allowed.

Now in more traditional corporate America... that doesn't go over well!
Some industries are better than others, and you'll likely have more flexibility in areas where the economy is very strong or a place is struggling to fill with quality talent.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:37 AM

450 posts, read 550,305 times
I had to chuckle at this post, you being so upset about not getting your monthly personal mental health days.

Right now I'm discussing with management a vacation that I want to take a year in advance. I have a very white collar job and yes that's right a year in advance and it's still not approved.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
I had to chuckle at this post, you being so upset about not getting your monthly personal mental health days.

Right now I'm discussing with management a vacation that I want to take a year in advance. I have a very white collar job and yes that's right a year in advance and it's still not approved.
Which really is a shame. Honestly, it's downright terrible. I've been known to be a bit too much of a justice warrior sometimes with stuff like this, falling on my own sword for the sake of a principle, but if I were in your shoes, I would tell management I'm taking this time off, I'm giving you a year's notice, deal with it!

Yea... I'm going to get myself fired one of these days.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:33 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Usually, but sometimes PTO is needed for life's last minute emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment