Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:27 AM

274 posts, read 252,837 times

Advertisements

Trucking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 05:22 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Competent Boob View Post
I'm talking about a field where you can quit or get fired and have another job within a week or two, and not something menial like day labor or temp work. I'm talking about real career fields.

I think most people just put up with crap at their jobs because they have no other choice. They are either pigeon holed doing something where there aren't a whole lot of other opportunities for work, so they are stuck, or they have a common job like a staff accountant where they will be competing with hundreds of other people for one open slot.
While opportunities has to exist to begin with - you also have make your own opportunities. There is no career out there where finding work is almost guaranteed without the job seeker having to put in the effort to maintain their skills.

In other words, it not just about the career/line of work. But also what the employee puts into it. I'm not saying everyone can play in the NFL if they just try hard enough - but by the same token, the fastest/strongest person in the world isn't guaranteed a career there either if they can't consistently produce.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:38 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Sales. Nearly every company needs someone to peddle their goods and services.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:26 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I agree with the poster that finding a job in two weeks is unrealistic for the most part. The only profession I have heard doesn't have an issue is nursing. My girlfriend said she just walks in fills out an application and is hired.

I hope employers in this field do background checks and try to find out why you were fired (if that is the case) from your last job.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 AM

46 posts, read 39,179 times
Plumbing, welding and diesel mechanics to name but three.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Sales. Nearly every company needs someone to peddle their goods and services.
I second this. A good salesperson can go anywhere- nearly every company on the planet has salespeople. You can make 6 figures in sales relatively quickly, and have a path all the way to CEO if you take your career very seriously.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 PM

217 posts, read 237,753 times
TRADES!! I'm an electrician, and self-employed. That means there's no one to fire me, and I get to keep all the money (no employees to pay).

Old 01-17-2017, 12:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
YouTube/social media celebrity

Old 01-17-2017, 03:26 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Trades are good in general but they swing with construction, I know many trades people (HVAC Electric and Plumber) who were unemployed for up to a year during the recession. When it picked back up they all found work easy enough.

Sales is an interesting one, You can always find a job but the compensation varies widely, when the economies tough don't expect to make as much as you were when it was good.

Also this is a moving target. Jobs that are in high demand can shift in 5-10 years time. I know a chemical engineer who was being thrown job offers left and right from oil and gas 4 years ago and now they have been working at a temp agency for a year and half as the market is flooded with people how were laid of when the price of oil dropped.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Electrician, HVAC, plumber, auto mechanic, heavy equipment operator, welder, etc....skilled trades requiring apprenticeships, whether union or not. Mortician is a good one too if you can do that sort of work. Also OTR truckers or other CDL drivers...bus, dump truck, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment