Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:06 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times

Advertisements

I hate tip cups but I highly doubt anyone is reporting what ever money they get from it, it's usually a low wage job, waiters and waitresses are different they make the majority of their pay from tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:45 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
tips are not being reported to the IRS by the employer, even though they process the charge on the credit card. This is admitting knowledge of the practice.

I don't really work in a deli, but in a similar field. The pay is decent,Not minimum wage, and the tips are a perk, yes I know. But working at this job from the start, that extra $150 a week bonus, goes a long way. An extra $7500 a year perk!

What kills me is being short changed. Everyone should get an equal cut, the team, not including management. Management wont get involved, but enforce and allow the supervisor dipping in the cup ALL DAY LONG. Making their own rules, mixing tip money with the stores bank, too many ways to skim off the top.
Start your own business and you can run the tip jar anyway you want. What you will find is that in the realm of overall business, how the tip jar money gets split up is not even on the list of concerns for the owners/managers, to you this is a mountain, to them it's an anthill.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Look , dont want to blow up the employer or field.

Get another job is not on topic, and i can suck it up, but you are not in my situation.

Putting on a little extra sugar in my service to my customers is not part of my job duties. Some people just dont understand i guess.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Just to get some info. I am a hourly employee in a deli. We have a tip cup, and tips are to be distributed equally among non management staff. The process used for distribution is unorganized and left to the supervisors to enforce.

So, supervisors pull the tip cup several times a day,and at times, coins are left in the cup, and only paper money is pulled and distributed. Who knows what happens to tips left on credit card. If any employees complain, or question what the supervisor does with the cup, the response is "complain and we take it away" and told you are not tipped employees. This tip cup has been around for over 10 years, and an obvious part of my salary.

So my question is , what is the normal practice of distributing a tip cup? can they take it away if i complain?why won;t management get involved? What will actually happen if I complain to the City?

the only fair process I can see is to pull the tips once , at the end of the day, and distribute equally according the the number of hours worked, at the end of the week.
Not sure how it works where you live. I have never been in the business but for the past year and a half one of our sons has worked at two places. He has been working as a server for well over a year and at that place the tip is split in this manner: 10% to the bus person. The remainder split 50 - 50 among the server and the chef. This is a Teppan style place where the chef cooks the food at the table for you. Our son has worked there since he graduated from high school. Servers handle the tips because they handle the pay as well. Each server has to split up the tip that is cash and the manager splits up the tip from card paying patrons.

He also had a job at a high end sports bar restaurant. He cleared tables there but had a larger share of the tips as it was split on a percentage basis and this place had a lot more patrons. He works there when he is not in school.

So no tip jar at these places. As people pay, the tips are divided up on the registers computer and it sends it to each employees account. With cash tips those are handled by the manager and distributed to each employee in an envelope at the next business day.

With tip jars I would never consider that my money unless it shows up in my hand. I have never understood how would you know how much is yours anyway. Did you earn that tip? Seems more of a bonus than anything else. I would not count on it as cash. If you need more money get a second job or get a job at a place that offers tips.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:

Get another job is not on topic, and i can suck it up, but you are not in my situation.

Putting on a little extra sugar in my service to my customers is not part of my job duties. Some people just dont understand i guess.
You're right, some people just don't get it.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:08 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:

No, I think everyone but you understands.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:

So you are getting paid an hourly wage (not a tipped wage) to provide customer service to your employer's customers but it's not your job unless you are tipped?

Mostly we don't understand because you haven't explained what it is you do, other than first saying you work in a deli but now say you don't.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
It's an informal bonus, not part of your pay.
You can always refuse it.

Once you have a bad attitude about a job or co-worker, it is time to seek other employment because it will eventually become obvious. It is always better to control the timing of your departure.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:27 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
As a person dealing with customers, i am paid hourly to work up to standards. For those that work and get gratuities like a cabby or uber driver, you add extra or go that extra mile, above what is expected.

As tipping is not required, people tip for a reason. People tip on custom, dont want change, or they enjoyed the extra special way they were treated.

If you tip directly, the team wont get a piece, so a tip cup is there. The cashier puts on the shine, along with a happy staff. So it should be shared equally, across the board, for non management staff.

I could just look for another job, but why should I? Cause i ask a question as to what is right? I dont run away, but confront when I feel I am getting screwed!

I would not mind paying taxes on my own, especially when I would benefit from in the long run.

What I dont like is the sticky finger lead ,that feels power and control of how money is divy'd out. 4 supervisors , multiple times a day!

Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM

346 posts, read 549,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
I hate tip cups but I highly doubt anyone is reporting what ever money they get from it, it's usually a low wage job, waiters and waitresses are different they make the majority of their pay from tips.
It depends on how it is handled. At my daughter's work (ice cream store) the management takes the tip jar at the end of the day, counts it out and divides it by the number of workers and records it; there is a line item on their pay statements showing the total received in tips (and they are taxed on it accordingly) for the pay period. Any cash tips that are handed directly to a server is considered theirs to keep - and report on their taxes on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment