Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,456 times

Advertisements

An employee is suggesting she wants to pad her time-card with unused vacation hours to fill in for hours she choose to clock out early, or come in late, in order to ensure she gets paid for 80 hours, instead of actually taking her vacation time off. Our policy is use it or lose it, with 2 year rollover, no cashing it in at year end.
Am I crazy or is this sort of an abuse of the intent of vacation time, since it is a perk, not a right? I need an answer or a compromise. I don't want to set a bad precedent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Is she salaried?

Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
I would suggest that you hold firm on this. Vacation time must be requested and approved in advance. Employees cannot decide unilaterally when to take vacation, and they certainly cannot take it retroactively.

If you allow the use on an ad ho. Basis, you lose all control over scheduling and employees cannot be held accountable. You will be unable to efficiently plan anything.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:25 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
You may want to refer to your employee manual or talk to HR. How vacation is handled/taken is up to the company policy. I've worked at places where the minimum vacation time taken is 4 hours. Others were down 30 min. intervals.

Just based on what you said - there is a difference between coming in late unannounced and using vacation of off set it vs. planning the use of vacation hours in small chunks.

I have staff that will take 1/2 day off every Friday during the summer. I've no issues with that.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Of you are not iincolve in HR or Management, I would let it go.

Your company should let it build, with no lose. Its not a perk, it is earned.

Now if staff is asked to go home early, and she is looking to add up the week, or she ran out of sick days, it is "her" hours, tacked on to the end of the week,and she earned the benefit.

But if she is looking to get OT out of it, that is wrong. If she calls in sick, and use the vacation to avoid excessive abscence discipline, that is wrong.

Again, unless you are HR or Management, and have to act , i would let it go.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllePea1 View Post
An employee is suggesting she wants to pad her time-card with unused vacation hours to fill in for hours she choose to clock out early, or come in late, in order to ensure she gets paid for 80 hours, instead of actually taking her vacation time off. Our policy is use it or lose it, with 2 year rollover, no cashing it in at year end.
Am I crazy or is this sort of an abuse of the intent of vacation time, since it is a perk, not a right? I need an answer or a compromise. I don't want to set a bad precedent.
What is the company policy? After you determine that, then the next question is; what is the company culture on doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I would suggest that you hold firm on this. Vacation time must be requested and approved in advance. Employees cannot decide unilaterally when to take vacation, and they certainly cannot take it retroactively.

If you allow the use on an ad ho. Basis, you lose all control over scheduling and employees cannot be held accountable. You will be unable to efficiently plan anything.
That is where you work, where I work and many other places, employees can indeed take vacation time like this.

The OP needs to see what the company policy is and what is common practice at the company.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:38 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
It really depends on the organization. Where I am, it's your vacation time, so you can use it how you see fit. We have some people who have so much comp time/vacation time that they will just take off every single pay period because they can't accrue any more. They will have something like 500-1000 of comp time accrued. It's really quite annoying, but the policy is to allow it because it's your time to do with as you please. Those people also seem to be the ones taking 6-week vacations. In my office most people try to stick with 2-week vacations max so it really depends on the particular office culture because that office will have two people in the same unit taking 3-6-week vacations at the same time.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:57 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Where I work, your vacation time is your vac time, so you can do whatever you want with it, and it is used to bring people up to 40 hrs per week if they don't have adequate sick time in the bank. It is none of your business how someone uses their vacation time. What is important is the procedure and process of submitting and approving vacation. A bigger issue is how is this employee coming in late and going home early without suffering any ramifications? unless such actions have been approved by her supervisor, which should have also included a conversation like, "Hey boss, I'd like to burn an hour of vacation and clock out early." You need to get a handle on why this employee is making their own hours.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:44 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
AT my company, that's a completely acceptable use of vacation time.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 AM

676 posts, read 725,848 times
Who cares how she uses it, it is HER time to use. Not every company requires advanced notice when using vacation time. Frankly I think most companies would prefer her method since she is still coming in and being productive instead of having to find someone to fill her spot for a couple weeks that she is gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment