Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
They would not call a meeting to fire you. If that was happening you'd simply be asked to come into an office with no notice and that would be it; otherwise, many employees would sabotage as much as they could. It's likely a PIP plan as someone mentioned above. I do think, however, it's time for you to start looking hard for a new position elsewhere, this doesn't sound like a good fit for either of you.
Actually that has happened to me! Meeting with boss + HR to fire and talk about the transitions and severance. Both times it was pretty similar.

Based on OPs situation it doesn't look promising.

Last meeting I had with Boss + Boss squared was to get a raise. No HR at the meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 01:09 PM

86 posts, read 106,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Actually that has happened to me! Meeting with boss + HR to fire and talk about the transitions and severance. Both times it was pretty similar.

Based on OPs situation it doesn't look promising.

Last meeting I had with Boss + Boss squared was to get a raise. No HR at the meeting.
Yup. Usually not a good sign when HR is also present! Oh well. It's done now. I wanna take a break before getting into the job hunting mode again Maybe go hit a couple national parks or something - away from the grid with no internet, no social media - just me and my camera!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:10 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,591,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
He can try, but it's unlikely he'll get it. Most companies will just confirm the employee's title and how long they were employed for. Anything else said (good or bad) could result in a lawsuit.
I wish this lie would disappear. If what the person says, good or bad, is true then there is no basis for a lawsuit. You can always speak the truth and as long as a company does that, all is good.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:21 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,956,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I just got out of the meeting. Was told that the business has been affected and there is a need to downsize. And my position along with other positions are being eliminated. No mention of performance or anything. Oh well. Time to work on my resume and start again. Onwards and upwards!!!
I've been fired twice over the last 50 years, the last time being just 11 years ago, and both times it ended up being the best thing to happen to me with doors opening and better opportunities.

I got a feeling next year at this time you will look back and say "thank you for firing me".

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
Yup. Usually not a good sign when HR is also present! Oh well. It's done now. I wanna take a break before getting into the job hunting mode again Maybe go hit a couple national parks or something - away from the grid with no internet, no social media - just me and my camera!
Sounds awesome! I hope the relocation was in a good spot for you! If you can taking the break is good. Keep your feelers out and don't forget about contracting for a bit if you can!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I've been fired twice over the last 50 years, the last time being just 11 years ago, and both times it ended up being the best thing to happen to me with doors opening and better opportunities.

I got a feeling next year at this time you will look back and say "thank you for firing me".

Best of luck to you.
Yup! Last time I was fired, I was totally thinking about looking but hadn't got my butt in gear! I had a month till my end date / severance start and had 2 offers within about a 10 days! Sent me on a good path with more pay and some great opportunities since then.

I run into many ex-ccolleagues from that company and time. Turns out the place got miserable in the months after I left that almost all of them left too!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,821,279 times
If HR is involved then yes you are gone, sorry

Old 01-24-2017, 01:31 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,130,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
If the coaching you received did not appear to have an impact or demonstrate that you were capable of improving, it sounds like you may be getting put on an official PIP. A personal improvement plan has specific goals outlined with attainable measurable success, these usually have a 60-day time suggested with a midway progress check and ending date.

The human resources dept gets involved to make sure you are being treated fairly, actually, it can be a good thing. It sounds like you have been given opportunities to prove your worth. After the initial talks and coaching, it would have been a good idea to check back yourself, to inquire on your progress or how to improve if you are not.

You may still have a chance to prove yourself, there isn't any reason to NOT be calm and professional, this really is coming as no surprise, sometimes the job we wanted isn't the right fit. We convince our interviewers and self that we can do it, and will learn the ropes, it doesn't work out every time. Even in the worst case scenario, if you were being told you weren't a good fit for the job and they won't need your services anymore, take plenty of notes for UI!

Good Luck
I would record the conversation.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,130,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup! Last time I was fired, I was totally thinking about looking but hadn't got my butt in gear! I had a month till my end date / severance start and had 2 offers within about a 10 days! Sent me on a good path with more pay and some great opportunities since then.

I run into many ex-ccolleagues from that company and time. Turns out the place got miserable in the months after I left that almost all of them left too!
hopefully trump brings back that level of opportunity because where I am if your laid off your pretty much screwed and have to leave the state or be unemployed over a year. Not sure where people are living where they are being constantly fired and hired because where I am if your laid off its kinda the end of the line.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 01-24-2017 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 01:39 PM

86 posts, read 106,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I would record the conversation.
Wish I could. But it was very rehearsed almost like he was reading from a paper prepared by legal.

I had nothing but positives to say. I don't like burning bridges. I thanked them for the opportunity and wished them luck just like they wished me. I relocated to the Pacific Northwest for this job. I kinda want to stay here as it's so beautiful. But let's see if that can be worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment