Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,451 times

Advertisements

So I have a situation, and was hoping to get some advice. I applied for a new job and went through a few interviews. Last week I got news that they want to conduct a background/ reference check. So I filled out the forms, and signed the release. I just got word that everything looks good!!, but the only thing they didn't verify is my current employer.(won't do it until offered a job)
So my situation is my last day of work was a month ago because I went on a leave of abscence due to personal/ family issues. (Now 100% resolved) well after everything going on I decided to officially resign from that company last week.( should have waited for an official offer, but I just couldn't stand the job anymore) now my question is was I still considered an employee while on personal unpaid leave? I'm asking because I got my end of work paperwork and it states that my last day of employment was one month ago.
And I'm now worrying that when they call this employer they are going to tell them my last day was a month ago. (I wrote in the background check a few weeks ago I was current employed at this company)
So my other question is should I inform the possible new employer about this, or just let it go?
I appreciate any advice and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 06:39 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Based on what you have written, you were still employed until you resigned. If you did not resign last week, would you have been able to walk back into work and start your job?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:42 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamchevysilverado1500 View Post
So I have a situation, and was hoping to get some advice. I applied for a new job and went through a few interviews. Last week I got news that they want to conduct a background/ reference check. So I filled out the forms, and signed the release. I just got word that everything looks good!!, but the only thing they didn't verify is my current employer.(won't do it until offered a job)
So my situation is my last day of work was a month ago because I went on a leave of abscence due to personal/ family issues. (Now 100% resolved) well after everything going on I decided to officially resign from that company last week.( should have waited for an official offer, but I just couldn't stand the job anymore) now my question is was I still considered an employee while on personal unpaid leave? I'm asking because I got my end of work paperwork and it states that my last day of employment was one month ago.
And I'm now worrying that when they call this employer they are going to tell them my last day was a month ago. (I wrote in the background check a few weeks ago I was current employed at this company)
So my other question is should I inform the possible new employer about this, or just let it go?
Yes, your previous employer, for which you do not currently work, is almost definitely going to say you left a month ago.

You should call the new company and let them know, as they are going to find out. If you call them, you can get ahead of the problem and explain, rather than have them drop the offer because you are lying to them.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
When you give information for a background check to a prospective employer, it isn't information set in stone. Simply contact them and revise it, saying your last day was X, because this is what the company is reporting even though you didn't resign until X. Leave it at that. If they really need further explanation you can provide that. The people doing the background check which is usually out-sourced to a third-party to do, they just want to complete the task and get it over with. So you want everything to match up.

Do this immediately. Don't wait until the job goes away or there is a problem.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:56 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
If the new company asks about the different end date, then explain the situation and let them know that you WERE still employed there until last week, but the end date was retroactively modified to one month(mm/dd/yyyy) earlier because you were on leave of absence starting mm/dd/yyyy. (if you want to notify the employer ahead of time, tell them something basic like this).

If asked, provide the Resignation Letter and the Leave of Absence documentation, with dates, to prove you were on leave of absence. If there is personal/private/proprietary info in the Leave of Absence document, then black marker that info for privacy/security reasons. They'll understand.

If they ask why you resigned, don't tell them that you decided to resign because you hate the employer. If they ask, say you resigned because you decided not to return because you wanted to focus 100% of your effort on your job search.

**Usually when there is a discrepancy on background check, the firm doing the background check with note the discrepancy. If it's major they might decide not to hire you. If it's minor and needs explanation, the employer will come back to you for verification. Often they ignore real minor things.

IMO, 1 month difference is minor. They are really wanting to know if you worked there and that it's not a fake job.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:06 AM

Thank you for the advise. And I could have returned to work if I didn't resign, which is why I thought I was still considered an employee. I guess I will email them about the situation and hope they understand.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:37 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Quote:
did you not give a written resignation with your last date? you always should; if not all you can do is explain the situation (hopefully you have some record of the leave being approved?)

Old 01-25-2017, 07:51 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
I don't see this as a huge problem. You contact your new employer and tell them that you recently resigned. As you were on unpaid FMLA (?) leave, the employee decided to backdate the separation date to the last time you were in paid status.

Ideally, if you resigned just after they made you the tentative offer, you can say that you are eager to start in your new position, so you submitted the resignation so that there would be no delay in starting.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 AM

Alright so give the possible new employer a call and explain. And I I sent a resignation through email telling them I will not be returning affective immediately. This personal problem happened very quickly that I called them up and explained to them the situation and told them I wanted to take unpaid leave to take care off it. The owner informed me to let him know when everything is good that my job will be waiting. But I decided not to return.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Alright so give the possible new employer a call and explain. And I I sent a resignation through email telling them I will not be returning affective immediately. This personal problem happened very quickly that I called them up and explained to them the situation and told them I wanted to take unpaid leave to take care off it. The owner informed me to let him know when everything is good that my job will be waiting. But I decided not to return.

I don't understand what you're saying here.. but as far as your OP - tell your prospective employer the whole story (the short version) asap - or you're going to look like a liar and no one likes a liar.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment