Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:24 AM

214 posts, read 330,225 times

Advertisements

I have been considering taking up acting again with a view in mind to becoming a paid actor. However, I am really not sure at the moment. I understand how uncertain the industry can be and really not sure if it would be worth it financially. I could make money various other ways than acting, but acting is a passion of mine and I am constantly thinking about dropping everything and pursuing it.

I am, fortunately, in a situation where I can pursue acting as I am not tied to a "career" job. I do buying & selling and a side job too to make money, but I also considered starting a clothing business which is another strong interest of mine. Would you ever consider pursuing your passion in life even if you was unsure if it would pay off financially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 06:31 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
IF you DO do that, I'd think that'd be a very brave thing to do. I wanted to do that but was too afraid to take the risk. I always knew that ultimately I didn't work as hard as it would take to be successful. Guess I always needed the security of a steady paycheck and took the practical way out.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:17 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I have been considering taking up acting again with a view in mind to becoming a paid actor. However, I am really not sure at the moment. I understand how uncertain the industry can be and really not sure if it would be worth it financially. I could make money various other ways than acting, but acting is a passion of mine and I am constantly thinking about dropping everything and pursuing it.

I am, fortunately, in a situation where I can pursue acting as I am not tied to a "career" job. I do buying & selling and a side job too to make money, but I also considered starting a clothing business which is another strong interest of mine. Would you ever consider pursuing your passion in life even if you was unsure if it would pay off financially?
That's literally a one in a million type of career although there are countless stories of normal people like carpenters who became successful actors, e.g. Harrison Ford.

Go for it. The experience itself would be worth it.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,950,643 times
Go for it and be the 00000.1 percent that do a " calling" in life job.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,000 times
Just make sure you have an exit plan when things don't work. Prepare yourself for the worst outcome, then you can proceed. Wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:20 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Nope. Dreams don't pay the bills!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:09 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,764,588 times
Quote:

If I were in my 20s, I might give my passion a couple of years and see if it could pay the bills. If after 2-3 years it didn't happen, I'd move on. If I were older, no. I've seen people chase their dreams and then pay dearly for it. You could always do some acting on the side in regional theater etc.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:23 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
What kind of acting? Historical re-enactments or circus clown?

No reason you cant make money acting, but there is a difference between make money and get rich, do you truely understand the difference?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:

The reasons why they're our passions is because there's no profit and loss attached to those feelings. We do them out of those very intrinsic reasons that make us happy. The moment you attach that passion to profit and loss, the relationship changes, and they're no longer our passions, but work.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,454,542 times
Quote:
Would you ever consider pursuing your passion in life even if you was unsure if it would pay off financially?
Nope. If your question means I'd risk being homeless.

I'd find a way to keep a paying job and save my passion for the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment